need help identifying hop

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

jgglass

Reaction score
I'm thinking nugget but have no experience. What do you think? A friend just gave me a rhizome and just planted it. Hope it comes back next year.

ForumRunner_20110903_191337.jpg

ForumRunner_20110903_191359.jpg

Chrisl77

Reaction score
Looks like hops to me. No real way to tell by looking at a picture try drying some and brew something light and see how they smell/taste.

OP
J

jgglass

Reaction score
Going to take a while. The picture is all I have(4 cones). The rhizome of this hop was planted today in a high sunshine area with 25 feet up to a porch off my daughters bedroom. Loads more room too. I was hoping to get cascade, centennial, and kent golding rhizomes in the ground now also. Where can you get them now? Do I have to wait till spring?

Chrisl77

Reaction score
I put goldings, fuggles, and cascades in the ground this year the only one i got hops from was the cascade about 1 ounce dried.

ThreeDogsNE

Good for what ales you
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Rhizomes are sold mostly in the Spring. The sales drag on for some into the Summer, but I doubt you'll find many in September. I don't think I'd buy one now. The only plants still for sale are plants: http://highhops.net/buy.htm

A better gardener than I might chime in here, but I suspect that unless you are planning some winter growth under lights, you might as well wait until Spring.

ThreeDogsNE

Good for what ales you
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Those hops are also $10 per plant, and shipping for one to me was going to be $10 as well. The rhizomes commonly run $4-5 each. I'm pretty sure shipping was cheaper. I'd suggest spending your time this fall preparing the ground, and getting set up to string you line next Spring, then pre-order your rhizomes when they'll let you in December or so. I would give some thought to buying jumbo rhizomes or root crowns if you find them available, as they'll improve your chances for a good yield in the first year or two. My plants from regular rhizomes are yielding a few ounces each as second year plants, but are not yielding pounds of cones like some folks report.

I ended up with bonus rhizomes when I ordered from these folks: http://www.freshops.com/

Latest posts