Need help finding Bayou Classic's burner in Canada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PtotheL

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking forward to moving my brewing setup outdoors and it's now time to buy a good burner.

The Bayou Classic's KAB-6 seems to be a good choice... thing is, I cannot find any Bayou Classic product in Canada at all, at least on the east coast.

Does anyone know of a canadian web site where I could order one ? Or at least, an american web site that is on the northern east coast so that I can minimize shipping charges ?

Thanks.

You can find propane burners at Canadian Tire

Canadian Tire

They have another one there as well that I couldn't find on their website but I know it's there because I've seen it. It has more BTUs than this one but doesn't come with the pot or anything, it's just the burner itself.

You can find propane burners at Canadian Tire

Canadian Tire

They have another one there as well that I couldn't find on their website but I know it's there because I've seen it. It has more BTUs than this one but doesn't come with the pot or anything, it's just the burner itself.

Yeah... I've seen this one... It's "only" 65K BTUs, however this is not my main gripe with it... it's the stand... it's about only 8 inches wide plus it does not look sturdy at all.

I think I would not feel safe sitting my 17 inches wide 15 gallons kettle on it full of liquid... ( which would be about 120 pounds, plus the weight of the kettle itself, plus the weight of my immersion chiller).

That's why I was looking for a Bayou Classic KAB6... the frame looks way sturdier than any other burner, plus the 210000 BTU output looks awesome.

Amazon.com has it. I have no idea what shipping would be like from the US for something like that. I've not seen any Bayou Classic stuff up here but if you have any BBQ sales or suppliers in your city you could try calling around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazon.com has it. I have no idea what shipping would be like from the US for something like that. I've not seen any Bayou Classic stuff up here but if you have any BBQ sales or suppliers in your city you could try calling around.

Yeah, thing is Amazon.com does not ship to Canada. At last, not propane burners. Amazon.ca only offers dvds/books/cds.

I checked restaurant supplies store, BBQ stores and so on, and there's nothing to do... no one has any high pressure propane burners.

I guess I'll have to settle buying the Canadian Tire cheapo turkey fryer and soldering the frame into a larger, sturdier one.

... this sucks

Last edited by a moderator:
I was trying to find the one I bought last year - works great - but it seems that homehardware no longer stocks it. They have this:
Home Hardware » Product Details »

I will lookup the label on my burner and stand, I seem to recall it actually came from a company in Quebec.

Thanks for the link. Yeah, it would be great if you could tell me what's your burner, even more so if it's from a company over here.

Meanwhile, I phoned another bbq supply shop and they have one with a sturdy frame rated at 65000 BTUs for 80 CAD$... I'll go check it out.

They do have another one at Canadian Tire that's considerably more sturdy. Looks to made out of stainless steel and I think it got 75K BTUs. I can't find it on their website but I know they have it because I've seen it, in at least 3 stores here in Vancouver.

Have you tried asking Bayou Classic?

Yep... they don't have any distributors in Canada.

Found someplace in Delaware that carries Bayou Classic burners and he told me that the only way for them to ship it to Canada would be via UPS.

The quote he gave me was 90 USD$ for the KAB-6, and 135 USD$ for the shipping ! :eek:

No need to say that I passed on that "deal".

Anyways. I found a BBQ supply store which supposedly sells a 65000 BTU burner with a solid, steel square frame. I think I'll settle on this one for now.

If it sucks, then I'll just wait until next time one of my relatives goes to florida and have one shipped to their condo over there so they can smuggle it back to Canada. :cool:

Those are nice burner, but unless you are doing 10 gal + sizes, they aren't really that advantageous. Lots of places sell turkey fryer kits (Walmart, sporting good stores, Superstore/Loblaws, etc.). If you hunt around enough, I bet you could find something decent.

I bought a turkery fryer kit at Superstore for $35. The propane burner throws serious heat, and I got a 30 qt aluminum pot to boot. Can't beat that deal.

I have used the burner for 10 gal batches, but I did build a stand for it (it was a recycled table saw stand from Crappy Tire that probably costs about $40 new).

...I have used the burner for 10 gal batches, but I did build a stand for it (it was a recycled table saw stand from Crappy Tire that probably costs about $40 new).
Thank you for that idea! I just came across 2 kegs I can have for a free batch of beer and I was trying to think of what to do for a stand. That will save me a ton of money since I don't have a 20amp circuit available for my cheapo welder at the moment.

Thank you for that idea! I just came across 2 kegs I can have for a free batch of beer and I was trying to think of what to do for a stand. That will save me a ton of money since I don't have a 20amp circuit available for my cheapo welder at the moment.

NP. It actually worked out so well that I just slid the propane burner, stand and all, right under the table saw stand. It just happened to be the exact height. I used an old barbeque grill on top, and I was done. Not pretty, but worked like a charm.

stand.jpg kettle.jpg

NP. It actually worked out so well that I just slid the propane burner, stand and all, right under the table saw stand. It just happened to be the exact height. I used an old barbeque grill on top, and I was done. Not pretty, but worked like a charm.

View attachment 10551 View attachment 10552

Cool!... Found it on the Canadian Tire web site...

It says its max load is 75 Kgs (165 pounds). That seems to be just enough to do the job. I think I'll buy it and do a setup similar to yours.

Thanks for the idea.

This american site is very "canada shipping friendly":

Kitchen Appliances - Mixers & Blenders by Names Like KitchenAid

They have a large selection of propane burner, including the bayou classic. Shipping for most of them to canada is around 8$. They are a registered canadian importer so they will calculate all import duty and taxes right in the checkout process..

I did not actually order, would still prefer to avoid shipping altogether by buying from an hardware store, but the stuff I found so far (canadian tire, home hardware) seems extremely cheap..

This american site is very "canada shipping friendly":

Kitchen Appliances - Mixers & Blenders by Names Like KitchenAid

They have a large selection of propane burner, including the bayou classic. Shipping for most of them to canada is around 8$. They are a registered canadian importer so they will calculate all import duty and taxes right in the checkout process..

I did not actually order, would still prefer to avoid shipping altogether by buying from an hardware store, but the stuff I found so far (canadian tire, home hardware) seems extremely cheap..

Yup. Seen those CSN stores. This is the best deal so far. Thanks for reminding me.

Being on a budget, and the exchange rate between CAD and USD not being what is was a year ago ( 1 for 1 was killer ), I think I'll buy the 65K one I told about.

Once I want to improve my setup, I'll pickup a Bayou Classic directly in the states on a road trip or something. Plus, this will leave me with two burners if I ever upgrade my setup to a HLT and a Kettle instead of using my 15 gallons SS brew pot for both.

PtotheL - Don't know if you are still following this thread or not.......

I bought the one at Reno....and it is slightly too small for my keggle. :(

Returning it and in the meantime, I found one that is made here(i think).

Check out intro ...... Only 65,000 BTU's but the thing is rock solid and big enough for a keggle.

PtotheL - Don't know if you are still following this thread or not.......

I bought the one at Reno....and it is slightly too small for my keggle. :(

Returning it and in the meantime, I found one that is made here(i think).

Check out intro ...... Only 65,000 BTU's but the thing is rock solid and big enough for a keggle.

That's exactly the one that I was going to buy from Norten Equipement de cuisine at the corner of Beaubien and St-Laurent! : 65000 BTU Burner

It really looks sturdy. The guy at Norten told me that it could bring to a boil and handle the weight of 30 gallons pot full of water. So that should do the trick for 10 gallons batch :)

Plus, 69.99$ CAD seems like a decent price for it.

That's a better deal than I got. :eek:

I had a feeling that I was paying a little too much (80) but it was really close to my place, and I need it for tomorrow as my old burner crapped out!

That's a better deal than I got. :eek:

I had a feeling that I was paying a little too much (80) but it was really close to my place, and I need it for tomorrow as my old burner crapped out!

Hey buddy, if there's only one left, it's MINE ! UNDERSTAND ?!?! ;)

Back