Need help figuring out my efficiency.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishing73

Reaction score
First time doing an all grain batch. I didn't take a pre-boil gravity reading. Is it to late to figure out efficiency? Thanks.

My OG was way off but I think that's because of my cheesy mash tun I made. Also, should I have stirred my mash at all? Stirred well at dough in then didn't touch it till it was time to sparge.

I stir my mash every 15 minutes, I've seen a marked improvement on my efficiency by doing it. Just helps to get more of the sugars rinsed into solution.

you don't need pre-boil gravity for efficiency, just post-boil and volume.

Your total efficiency is the post boil gravity and volume of the wort, lets say you got 5gal at 1.040 SG in your fermenter so you got 200 gravity points, and you used 10lbs of 2row for your mash at 37points per lb so 370 points 200/370=.54=54% as your efficiency
And i dont mix my mash during 1h incubation, i mix well when i add water to my grain (or grain to water) let it sit for 5min, check temperature close the cooler and wait 1h or 45min or whatever time your recipe desires
btw this is efficiency of whole process, efficience of your mash process if calculated the same way but with pre boil SG

Back