Need help, fermentation issues.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormtracker

Reaction score
I have a Trippel and Dubble in the fermenter.

I made a starter. I put a Wyeast smackpack of the Belgian Ale into a wort of DME I made on the stove. I shook it for a couple of days and added some more wort. I then made the two batches one of trippel and another of Dubbel.

The starter had been going for about 3 - 4 days.

I pitched the trippel on the 23rd and the Dubbel on the 24th.

They seemed to take off fine and developed a healthy Krausen. The Krausen has already fallen on both batches. The Trippel from the 23rd seems like its barely plugging away with little life. The Dubbel from the 24th isnt hardly bubbling my lock at all.

Im skeered. Is it possible I under pitched the yeast? The fermenters are kept at 70 degrees consistently.

They seemed well aerated initially and took off quickly but seemed to have petered out rather quickly. Im used to 1 - 2 week fermentations.

Any recommendations?

I wouldn't worry about it. Bigger beers with higher ABV often take quite a bit longer to ferment out. Take your readings once a week until you get no change for two or three weeks.

I've left Grand Cru in the secondary for six weeks sometimes. Trust your hydrometer and don't bother worrying about airlock bubbles. All will be well. :)

Gedvondur

Without gravity readings, we can't assess your situation very well at all. Further information (aeration method, temperatures, etc) would help us yet more.

it's only been 3-4 days? let 'em sit for 3 weeks and then take a gravity reading. you have nothing to worry about at this time. these are big beers. do not rack these to secondary before they have been in the carboy 3 weeks.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help.

I went home at lunch and took a gravity reading on each one.

They are at 70 degrees

The Trippel had an original gravity of 1.090 it is now reading about 1.021.
Fortunately it is still slightly bubbling ( showing tell tale signs of ferm. ) It still tastes sweet so I assume the sugars are not totally fermented off.

The original gravity of the Dubbel I have was 1.080 and is now 1.015.

My concern is the 3 or 4 days of fermentation and now it appears to almost completely died down.

Other beers I have brewed usually plug along for a week or even two.

stormtracker said:
Hey guys,

My concern is the 3 or 4 days of fermentation and now it appears to almost completely died down.

Other beers I have brewed usually plug along for a week or even two.

As was stated above, do not be concerned about not seeing air lock activity. The beer is doing fine and should stay in the primary at least 3 weeks before doing anything. Every time you open a fermenter you are risking an infection so be patient.

You are fine, based upon my very limited experience. The key will be monitor your hydro.

See what it is doing three days from now, if it was me I would wait a week and see what it is doing.

I had one that fermented for a 5-6 weeks. I worried about it ever few days. Brewed it on the 28th of December and It has not been in the bottle for three weeks yet. But at two weeks it was GREAT.

I could not believe it was still fermenting, my hydro kept showing it going down, I trusted my hydro, glad I did.

I am also having the same problem, and that was after no visable fermenation for 2 days. Is it common for a big ale, not to "foam" up as quick as a regular gravity beer?

you're not having the same problem because this is not a problem.

fermentation is not alway visible by airlock or through the carboy. every beer, every yeast works differently.

just let her sit for WEEKS. you shouldn't even take a sample before day 7 for any beer.

Back