Need Help! Bottling Big Beer Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrometheusBierus

Reaction score
I'm going to bottle a 10% abv Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter today and I'm concerned that the yeast will not be capable of eating the priming sugar.

The yeast I used is US-05 and at 10% I'm thinking the yeast are probably crapped out.

Is adding a little bit of a yeast like T-58 at bottling time too risky? On the Fermentis.com website it has a higher alcohol tolerance than US-05. T-58 goes up to 11.5%.

I just dont want to find out that T-58 eats up more of the original sugars and blows up any bottles. The FG was 1.027.

I've read of people having issues when bottling/priming high alcohol beers. The yeast is just sometimes finished and wont eat the priming sugar. Anyone here have any issues with this?

Thanks!

Okay, I'm just going to go for it and bottle this thing.

The OG was 1.104 and the FG is 1.027. I like the sweetness is has now, gives it nice body. I'm pretty sure that if I add yeast that will bring the gravity down too far.

I'll just be sure to suck up a little yeast when racking and mixing in the priming sugar.

The bottles will sit until next winter anyway. They should carbonate in time.

I think you can just repitch some of the same yeast you used to ferment instead of a different yeast. Just add it with your corn sugar to the bottling bucket. Even with the high ABV, you should get enough life out of them to get you a little carbination.

(oh, if someone reads this and I am blatently wrong, let me know before I try to do this in a few weeks;) )

I just read on the white labs website:

Question:
I used WLP001 California Ale Yeast for the initial fermentation of a 1.120 wort, and it pooped out at 1.032. I wanted to use the high gravity yeast to finish it off. Would the best route be to make a starter and aerate and pitch just like a new beer or will oxidation be a problem?

Answer:
Make a starter and aerate the starter, not the beer. That will take care of the oxidation problem and still give the yeast a good start.

PrometheusBierus said:
Okay, I'm just going to go for it and bottle this thing.

The OG was 1.104 and the FG is 1.027. I like the sweetness is has now, gives it nice body. I'm pretty sure that if I add yeast that will bring the gravity down too far.

I'll just be sure to suck up a little yeast when racking and mixing in the priming sugar.

The bottles will sit until next winter anyway. They should carbonate in time.

I bottled my RIS last week and it had pooped out around 1.029. I bottled it anyway. I'm guessing that the high FG was from all the unfermentables in there...we'll find out in a couple hours, I guess---I'm trying the first one.

You should be fine, though.

Back