Quantcast

Need Help! Bottling Big Beer Question...

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

PrometheusBierus

Reaction score
I'm going to bottle a 10% abv Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter today and I'm concerned that the yeast will not be capable of eating the priming sugar.

The yeast I used is US-05 and at 10% I'm thinking the yeast are probably crapped out.

Is adding a little bit of a yeast like T-58 at bottling time too risky? On the Fermentis.com website it has a higher alcohol tolerance than US-05. T-58 goes up to 11.5%.

I just dont want to find out that T-58 eats up more of the original sugars and blows up any bottles. The FG was 1.027.

I've read of people having issues when bottling/priming high alcohol beers. The yeast is just sometimes finished and wont eat the priming sugar. Anyone here have any issues with this?

Thanks!

OP
P

PrometheusBierus

Reaction score
Okay, I'm just going to go for it and bottle this thing.

The OG was 1.104 and the FG is 1.027. I like the sweetness is has now, gives it nice body. I'm pretty sure that if I add yeast that will bring the gravity down too far.

I'll just be sure to suck up a little yeast when racking and mixing in the priming sugar.

The bottles will sit until next winter anyway. They should carbonate in time.

Dr_Deathweed

Reaction score
I think you can just repitch some of the same yeast you used to ferment instead of a different yeast. Just add it with your corn sugar to the bottling bucket. Even with the high ABV, you should get enough life out of them to get you a little carbination.

(oh, if someone reads this and I am blatently wrong, let me know before I try to do this in a few weeks;) )

HP_Lovecraft

Reaction score
I just read on the white labs website:

Question:
I used WLP001 California Ale Yeast for the initial fermentation of a 1.120 wort, and it pooped out at 1.032. I wanted to use the high gravity yeast to finish it off. Would the best route be to make a starter and aerate and pitch just like a new beer or will oxidation be a problem?

Answer:
Make a starter and aerate the starter, not the beer. That will take care of the oxidation problem and still give the yeast a good start.

Evan!

Reaction score
PrometheusBierus said:
Okay, I'm just going to go for it and bottle this thing.

The OG was 1.104 and the FG is 1.027. I like the sweetness is has now, gives it nice body. I'm pretty sure that if I add yeast that will bring the gravity down too far.

I'll just be sure to suck up a little yeast when racking and mixing in the priming sugar.

The bottles will sit until next winter anyway. They should carbonate in time.

I bottled my RIS last week and it had pooped out around 1.029. I bottled it anyway. I'm guessing that the high FG was from all the unfermentables in there...we'll find out in a couple hours, I guess---I'm trying the first one.

You should be fine, though.