Need Help. Added too much water!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Realidad

Reaction score
Hi guys

Got my first home brew set there today. I said I'd start off with a plain over-the-counter coopers canadian blonde before I get into more advanced stuff. So I made the wort and everything was going fine until I got the water measurement wrong. I put in 25 litres of water instead of 23. My Gravity reading was 1.040. I have added my yeast in the hope that I can salvage something.

I felt like I wanted the ground to open up with this error. What are the consequences of this?

Is there any way to remedy this and what should I expect?

Cheers and beers.

1.040 will still give you ~4% ABV - but the extra water will hurt the body. You can dissolve about a pound of dme in a liter of 80-90F purified water and add gently, or just let it ride.

1.040 will still give you ~4% ABV - but the extra water will hurt the body. You can dissolve about a pound of dme in a liter of 80-90F purified water and add gently, or just let it ride.

Hmmm...The second option sounds interesting if it will give me a recovery of sorts. So adding some DME in 80-90f will help add some weight to the body? I just so happen to have about 500g of it on hand but im not sure how much to put in and exactly what amount of water.

Thanks for the advice bro!

since you have already added yeast let it ride and chalk it up to experience. as the poster above said you will still make beer. :mug:

*edit*
just seen its only 2L that shouldnt change it that much.

Back