Need good idea (recipe) for first ever wine batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dash14251

Reaction score
the thing is all i have is Red Star Montrachet yeast and my lhbs is not local, its like an hour away.

what i need is suggestions for my first batch of wine that i can use montrachet with. i was thinking one of those blackberry jam recipes or just a concord grape juice wine. maybe like cranberry or something like that. it just seems like most of the 'quick and easy' recipes dont call for montrachet yeast.

thanks

What flavors do you like? Go to Wal Mart and buy some juice that you like, either concentrate or in bottles, or even cans. Jam and jelly is ok too but kinda expensive and needs a liberal dose of pectic enzyme to break down the pectins. Just be sure that there are no preservatives (ascorbic acid or Vitamin C is ok). Some people really like wines made from Juicy Juice. Some people (me included) don't like wines made from Welch's Concord grape juice but the white grape juice can be good when used in conjunction with other fruits and juices. Add some sugar and your yeast and in a few months you'll have wine. Of course it's a little more complicated than this - you'll need a hydrometer and a fermentation vessel with a stopper and air lock. Check out Jack Keller's website to get you started with techniques and recipes.

I am really happy with the concord wine I made from store bought juice, at only two months it isn't bad, it will be awesome in six. I used yoopers recipe as a basis but watered it down a little and added corn sugar instead of cane, I bet this made it drinkable sooner. This recipe is good if you want a red wine, "traditional" style...

If you like dry ciders you should make Apfelwein, it uses montrachet and is probably the best wine I have made. It tastes like champagne at 2 months then keeps on getting better and more "appley."

Back