Need control panel components help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canmorebrewguy

Reaction score
Hello All,
I am just about done welding my kettles and will be moving on to the control panel soon. I am building a 3 vessel HERMS system and have zero experience with programming pi's or audrino's but would like to purchase components that I can build on. I have read a lot on the BCS, HoseHead, Brewpi and such but I am worried about the programming that these devices take to function.

Can someone give me a straight up answer if the BCS or equivalent is as complicated as it looks? or if I should just stick with PID's?
Cheers
CBG

Thanks Brundog, I was hoping you would chime in. It looks like you have quite a bit of experience with them. Have you switched to JonW new version?

JonW makes a cool interface to put more information on one screen. I haven't switched to it fully yet because I am using an iPad for the interface but I have a Raspberry PI I will be installing it and using it then.

I see that you have done a lot of research on valves, I have purchased 2 March TE-5s-MD pumps for next to nothing. They are big pumps for my system but I am wondering if you have found a valve that would have good flow control via the BCS? Can you control how much a valve is open with the BCS?

Sorry for all the questions...

Well, that depends. If you have a proportional valve, you can control its position with an analog voltage or current to it. The BCS cannot put out an analog signal but you could do it a few ways: 1. Use multiple outputs to drive a resistor network. You would only get a small number of positions (e.g. 8 using two BCS outputs; which includes full open or closed. 2. Use an intermediate controller like an Arduino. I do this on my rig: two BCS outputs tell an Arduino what state to open the valve to: closed, open, mash, or recirc. The Arduino then applies a programmed voltage out for each state to control the valve.

Anyway just ideas. There are other ways to control a valve.

Hey CBG,
I just saw your post and it is great to see a fellow brewer in Canmore. I just finished my 20 gal eherms a few weeks ago and am doing my second brew tomorrow. Would love to get together and see what your system looks like.

Harry

I say keep it simple... PID's

BUT - It depends on where you're headed with the project? Are you a home-brew hobbyist? Or a automation hobbyist? Some of the rigs I've seen are all about the rig, not the brew. I dont have a BCS, but I believe BCS is more flexible with it's built in ladder programming for full automation than a PID setup would be. You'd have to add a PLC to PID's for full automation.

Another opinion - I've got arduino's, pi's, and even a beaglebone laying around to play with. I can get them to do things. But unless your really good at programming, I wouldnt bother. You might get some things to work but there are better pre-made and programmed solutions available, some free. (Brewpi comes to mind...)

Hey CBG,
I just saw your post and it is great to see a fellow brewer in Canmore. I just finished my 20 gal eherms a few weeks ago and am doing my second brew tomorrow. Would love to get together and see what your system looks like.

Harry

I think we have a mutual friend, Pinet was telling me about your system if I have connected the dots right. I am just welding my kettles now and then I will be building my panel. Far from being a functioning system yet! Sounds like a plan though.
CBG

Yup you have connected the dots right. I have a fair bit of electrical/automation experience and would be happy to share some knowledge with you. Can show you how I built my panel and why, might even have a few extra parts laying around.
H

Yup you have connected the dots right. I have a fair bit of electrical/automation experience and would be happy to share some knowledge with you. Can show you how I built my panel and why, might even have a few extra parts laying around.
H

Harry,
I will definitely take you up on your offer as I have never wired something of this magnitude. I have the skills to fabricate and weld and have done hours of research on the panel. I am thinking of using a BCS and a Raspberry Pi with a touch screen for the interface. I saw you went to PID's from the couple of pics that Mr.P showed me. What was the reason you picked PIDs over something else?
Cheers
Todd

Harry,
I will definitely take you up on your offer as I have never wired something of this magnitude. I have the skills to fabricate and weld and have done hours of research on the panel. I am thinking of using a BCS and a Raspberry Pi with a touch screen for the interface. I saw you went to PID's from the couple of pics that Mr.P showed me. What was the reason you picked PIDs over something else?
Cheers
Todd

Todd,
I picked PID'S for a couple or reasons, one being cost. I bought a package of components on Craigslist in Vancouver that included 6 PID controllers for a great price. I did have a PLC and have done a fair bit of programming but did not have an interface which would have added to the cost.
Second reason and more importantly is simplicity. Pid controllers are simple, easy to install and adjust. I did not see the advantage of a more complex system as this brewing process still requires a lot of hands interaction and thus more automation doesn't make sense to me. The only benefit might be that you can trend your temps during brewing but personally don't think this is that important. There is the bling factor which is a reason on its own. I am a bit of a bling fellow myself but thought this was a little overkill.
Give me a call sometime 8-7849. Harry

Back