Need an easy Fast to drinking time Sweet Sparkling Cider Receipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunkTruck

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been reading up nearly every cider thread I can, too many I think because now my head is spinning and i have more questions than when I started.

My hope is to brew up a fast to ready time sweet to semi sweet sparkling cider.

I can really use some help with a recipe and instructions

I do have a batch of Brandons Graff in the primary because its a fast one but I would like to do a strait cider too.

I hope to have one drinkable for Christmas maybe even Thanksgiving.

So any one with a good 5 or 6 gal recipe that's sweet carbed and quick to drink?

I have 5 gals of pasturized cider
a gallon of motts
nothern brewer cider yeast
muntons gold ale yeast
honey, brown, cane and corn sugar
a few cans of AJ frozen concentrate
Apple flavoring, cinnamon sticks, campden, pectic enzyme, metabisulfate yeast energizer and nutriens etc.

So i have some stuff to throw together,don't need to use it all, just listing what i have on hand.

So how can I combine this to get the results I'm looking for?

My work hours would probably prevent me from doing a pasturized receipe,
I think I would end up with too much carb and not be able to pasturize.

I think fermenting dry and adding a non fermentable sugar might be a way to go for me. but I'm not sure what non fermentable sugar to use?

OK so thats my way to long post as you can see i sure can use a receipe and some guidance.

many thanks in advance to all

I have a batch going now for a week. Thanksgiving I think would be close but you could have one by Christmas. Of course I have been told the longer you mellow it the better, but in a pinch I am hoping like you to have a batch ready for Christmas. Told you can back sweeten before bottling with sugar alcohol that won't be eaten like Xylitol, Stevia, Truvia.

Christmas is doable, Thanksgiving will be tough. You already know what to do to get started, with the research you've done.

Time line typically is 2 weeks in primary. With pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient you'll have fairly clear dry cider by then (temperature plays a part in this). Rehydrated yeast works a bit faster.

If you can keg or force carbonate you could have sweet fizzy cider by Thanksgiving. But bottle conditioning takes time. I have some carbonating for 3 weeks now and it's just barely bubbly.

What kind of non fermentable sugar would you all recomend?

I want something natural tasting so to speak.

For some reason i'm very sensitive to sugars and i can have a hard time consuming anything chemical like truvia for example. It make my brain scream yuck diet food lol
i.ve never tried Tuvia,Splenda or Xylitol though but fear i would not like them.

How about lactose? would this make the cider to heavy/too much mouthfeel so to speak?
or Maltodextrin maybe? how does that taste?

Nobody hates diet soda more than I do.

The only non fermentable sugar I've used is Xylitol (Xylo Sweet brand, from health stores). It tastes like sugar and leaves no after taste. About 3 TBSP per gallon is semi-sweet. Pick up a pack of it and try some in your morning coffee before committing it to your cider.

Nobody hates diet soda more than I do.

The only non fermentable sugar I've used is Xylitol (Xylo Sweet brand, from health stores). It tastes like sugar and leaves no after taste. About 3 TBSP per gallon is semi-sweet. Pick up a pack of it and try some in your morning coffee before committing it to your cider.

I was also told you could use real sugar if you were going to sweeten and bottle in swing top bottles (such as Grolsch). Add sugar for taste carbonation and when the bottle is at the optimum carbonation and sweetness pasteurize it with postassium sorbate to each bottle so the carbonation stops. Can anyone tell me if this is correct.

Last edited:
Thanks guys

I never thought of trying the sweetener in something like a coffee, thats a really good idea. I'll try to find a health food store tomorrow and pick some up.

I don't have any swing top bottles, but thats not a bad idea either

Thanks Much

So I picked up some Xylitol from the healthfood store. In large crystal form.

It tastes pretty darn good. if you taste it with your finger it does have a different feel so to speak on the tongue but truthfully its quite similar to sugar.

Mixed it in hot coffee, iced tea and with lemon juice.

I had three people try it, and i didn't say what was what, no one could tell the differance side by side with sugar.

So thanks for the advice and to those that need to back sweeten don't be afraid of Xylitol its pretty darn tasty!

Thanks. I was beginning to think that I was the only one who liked it.

Don't feed any of it to your dog... it's quite toxic to them.

What makes it toxic to canines and a health food for humans? Huh?

What makes it toxic to canines and a health food for humans? Huh?

I'm guessing because it's a natural sweetener that makes it " healthy" as opposed to putting all those calories from real sugar

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back