need advice on this recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmy7649

Reaction score
will this be a good light ale? im looking for super bowl.

7lbs light lme
1lb crystal 10l

1oz mt. hood (30 min)
.5oz mt. hood (15 min)
.5oz mt. hood (5 min)

1tbs irish moss (15 min)

ale yeast.
14 day ferment
3 week bottle.

yeah looks pretty good. I'd probably back off the crystal to .75 lb though. Also, Mt. Hood hops are a descendant of Hallertau, are you going for a noble hop type flavor?

It won't have a light body with that much crystal. Cut it down to 1/2 lb. Keep in mind that depending on the manufacturer, your LME was probably made with a portion of carapils - a type of crystal malt. Most of the sugars in crystal are unfermentable and add to the body and head of your beer. Darker crystals - like in your recipe also add caramel flavors and sweetness.

i was trying to clone a local brewery beer. they use hallertau hops. and it is really light ale the wife even liked it. i will dial back on the crystal. is there any other grains would work well with this kind of light ale?

brew BM's Centennial clone never heard anyone say anything bad about that recipe and most that have brewed it have said is very well received by the BMC crowd which might be what your looking for on super bowl sunday plus its a 4 wk start to finish at most recipe.

heres a link: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centennial-blonde-simple-4-all-grain-5-10-gall-42841/

also theres an extract 5 gal version a couple pages in if thats what your looking for? good luck

I'd go with it as is. Looks like a nice American Pale Ale. It's at the high end for the Alcohol @ ~5.5% ABV (assuming good attenuation) and the hops IBU's are toward the lower end @ ~25. SRM is almost right in the middle as well @ ~7. Cheers!!!

Back