Need advice on tea infused brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobbo404

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking into infusing a Blueberry Hibiscus Tea into an Amber Ale I'm brewing. I'm looking for advice, input, even opinions.
I'm brewing a 5 gallon batch, I think I want to start by using half of it for this experiment. So 2.5 gallons. How much tea do I use? How long do I let it ferment inside?

It's going to depend on how strong the fruit flavors are in the BH tea you plan to use.

Get a commercial beer close to what you plan to brew, brew up a strong cup of what you're planning to add, and then taste test by adding a small measured amount of tea to a 10 oz glass of beer (like 1/2 tsp) at a time, taste and see if you like the effect, then keep adding until you don't like the effect.

Then do the math. It's not exact, but it should be close. Of course, there's no accounting for what your yeast might think of the fruit flavors...

And be advised, there are studies out there on the internetz about hibiscus extracts having anti-bacterial and anti-fungal qualities, so you might want to overpitch a bit.

But an amber blueberry ale sounds pretty good to me. Good luck and please follow up and let us know how it goze*.

*Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

I'm looking into infusing a Blueberry Hibiscus Tea into an Amber Ale I'm brewing. I'm looking for advice, input, even opinions.
I'm brewing a 5 gallon batch, I think I want to start by using half of it for this experiment. So 2.5 gallons. How much tea do I use? How long do I let it ferment inside?
Make a strong couple of cups of tea and add it to taste right before bottling. I did it that way with some smoked tea in a porter.

So that leads me to another question. When making a slurry, I have a can of yeast starter. Isn't that like, pre-made wort for the yeast to start cultivating? Does that wort affect the flavors of my beer?

So that leads me to another question. When making a slurry, I have a can of yeast starter. Isn't that like, pre-made wort for the yeast to start cultivating? Does that wort affect the flavors of my beer?
Yes, many use canned wort for yeast starters. At $3 a can ($6 a liter!), it's kind of expensive for my taste.

I make my own starter with 100 grams of light DME per liter of water for the yeasties to munch while they revive and repopulate. I spin it up on a plate in a liter or 2-liter flask for 48 hours or so at room temp, and I'll let it settle then decant the fluid and just pitch the slurry (for light beers) or just pour in the whole starter for heavies.

Since there's no hops in the starter it shouldn't affect the flavor of your beer very much.

After 48 hours say of starter growing activity normally finishes ie no bubbles.
Chill the starter and the yeast will settle to the bottom in a thick layer.
on brewday pour off most of the liquid ( down the drain ).
Let it warm to room temp as you brew.
Lots of spray of starsan around the top and then give it a really good swirl to get those solids of yeast back in the remaining liquid in suspension.

THen pitch it in.
DO NOT POUR IN THE STIR BAR!!!

@BrewZer
I agree get the magnet out before you pour. Less easy if you have dumped it into the fermenter and just unnecessary hassle fishing for it, magnet on a fishing line is fun!
I tend to just trap it with the other magnet and pitch the yeast. Then tip the magnet into my hand and clean it up.

Back