Need advice on hops for ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
I'm trying to put together a IPA. I already have the grains with me but now just need hops and hop schedule. I have a bunch of hops. I have centennial, cascade, summit, Columbus citra, simcoe and Amarillo and I believe chinook. Any ideas would be appreciated

I have 11.5 lbs of 2 row
1 lb Munich
And 3/4 lbs of crystal 60

Cool bud. Good selection of hops to choose from. But what yeast? What flavor are you looking for? Mouthfeel? Dry and bitter? Soft and smooth with tons of flavor and aroma? Fruity or earthy or what? You provide the answer to that and we will hook you up. Not all IPAs taste the same. That will help us answer your question. You might consider asking what mash temp too.

Good points it's safale 05. More earthy maybe because I have. Citrus IPA ready to bottle and also I'd like a bit dryer. Not sure about mouthfeel.

My best advice is to use Magnum or Nugget 1/2 oz for the bittering hops. For the aroma and flavor I'd split the batch and make one for citra, one for amarill., cent. and colu. work well together. That way you can get a feel for what each hop contributes to the beer. I love both Citra and Amrill. Citra for the tropical fruit it gives and amarill. for the citrus notes.

OG and FG are helpful if you want a hop schedule built

If you already have a citrus'y IPA and want something different I would do either

Chinook/Columbus/Simcoe this will be PINEY

or

Simcoe/Centennial piney and floral with a little citrus

I really love to hit about .8-.9 IBU to SG ratio. I'd recommend straight centennial in a very dry beer, or centennial/simcoe in something a little maltier.

Would this be okay

1 oz simcoe @ 60
1 oz warrior @ 60
.5 oz Amarillo @ 35
.5 oz simcoe dry hop
1 oz Amarillo dry hop

benzy4010 said:
Would this be okay

1 oz simcoe @ 60
1 oz warrior @ 60
.5 oz Amarillo @ 35
.5 oz simcoe dry hop
1 oz Amarillo dry hop

I would do 1 oz warrior at 60.
1 oz simcoe at 15
Then more simcoe or centennial at 5 and flame out.
Dry hops are ok. I would not waste Amarillo at anything before 5. I would increase the total amount of hops for an IPA. Let some of the bitterness come from the later additions. You will get more flavor and aroma. I prefer to do it this way. If you boil so long to get your bitterness, you are boiling away the flavor and aroma. You'll get the flavor and aroma adding the hops in the last 15 and less. Just my opinion.

Not sure how much mash water to use or what the gravitates should be.

1 oz col at 60 fwh
.5 col at 60
.5 centennial @ 30
.5 cascade @ 20
.5 col @ 20
.5 centennial @ 10
.5 cascade @ 10
. 5 cascade @ 5
1 oz dry hop

This is another one I found and kinda copied just not sure about water and gravity

Not sure how much mash water to use or what the gravitates should be.

1 oz col at 60 fwh
.5 col at 60
.5 centennial @ 30
.5 cascade @ 20
.5 col @ 20
.5 centennial @ 10
.5 cascade @ 10
. 5 cascade @ 5
1 oz dry hop

This is another one I found and kinda copied just not sure about water and gravity

That's going to be pretty bitter, without much hops flavor and aroma. If that's what you're looking for, that's fine. I'm more a fan of firm but not aggressive bittering, and more hops flavor and aroma in late additions.

I'd do something more like this:
.75 oz columbus FWH (or at 60 minutes)
1 oz centennial 15 minutes
1 oz columbus 10 minutes
1 oz cascade 5 minutes
1-2 oz flame out of centennial and cascade
dryhop with .5 oz columbus, and 1 oz of centennial or cascade

Back