Need Advice; All Around bulk grain bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CurtisB

Reaction score
Oh wise and knowledgeable brewers, here is my query: I'm looking for an "all purpose" grain bill to order 500-1,000 or so pounds of grain. I have a group of guys who brew 10 gallon batches on average 2-3 times per month (which would probably be more often if we weren't waiting on the next batch of grain). We brew exclusively ales, a lot of IPAs, stouts, ambers, and the occasional blond and wheat beer. I'm new to bulk grain orders but the recipe specific shipping of 20-50lbs at a time seems a waste. Obviously we'd do our own milling to extend the grain life. I'm curious if certain malts keep longer than others? I have a connection with a brewery who has an account with brewer's supply group in Denver, I just need some advice on a good "all purpose" grain bill which would cover a variety of recipes and we'll supplement with the lessor used specialty malts as they arise. Any ideas on varieties and amounts? Thanks in advance, Curt.

Seems like you want 2-row based off of that description. The rest depends on your recipes: caramels, chocolate malts, special b, we can't really say...

Why do you need to get all the same grain? Sounds like you guys will be going through 1-2 sacks of base grain a month, so you should use up all that grain in a year or less, why not get a bunch of different kinds to experiment with?

Back