Need a yuengling clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivypunx

Reaction score
Its one of my battle buddies favorites and he comes home in a couple months. I need a recipe for it

I took the Yuengling tour last year and can confirm there's a lot of corn in their mash (cost savings - per the narrator).

No problem. I have not tried brewing a Yuengling clone myself, so I cannot comment much, but the recipes look solid and appear to have good feedback. Being from PA, I should try brewing the ole Lager myself sometime. :mug:

I don't know if you do kits, but Austin Homebrew has a Yuengling clone kit. I did it last year and it turned out pretty good.

I don't know if you do kits, but Austin Homebrew has a Yuengling clone kit. I did it last year and it turned out pretty good.

I do kits sometimes. They can be fun. And If I do a kit it is always from austin homebrew coincidentally. But I have heard mixed reviews on their clone kit so I am trying to put together a good all grain recipe for it from people that have don it

I do kits sometimes. They can be fun. And If I do a kit it is always from austin homebrew coincidentally. But I have heard mixed reviews on their clone kit so I am trying to put together a good all grain recipe for it from people that have don it

I did 24 kits of all types last year to get my processes dialed in (my first year brewing). This years "thing" was to start doing recipes and to start narrowing down what I like and improve on them. Yuengling is going to be one I work on. The recipe thread I was looking at is: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f63/pottsville-common-yeungling-lager-attempt-165157/. A lot of people made some good suggestions in this thread. Good luck and post how yours turns out.

I did 24 kits of all types last year to get my processes dialed in (my first year brewing). This years "thing" was to start doing recipes and to start narrowing down what I like and improve on them. Yuengling is going to be one I work on. The recipe thread I was looking at is: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f63/pottsville-common-yeungling-lager-attempt-165157/. A lot of people made some good suggestions in this thread. Good luck and post how yours turns out.

Hell yeah. Thanks for the help

Yuengling lager isn't infusion mashed. The slots in the plate of their lautertun are sized for decoction mashing. I make about a barrel of it a year. That's enough of the beer for me. This is how it is done: Corn is mashed with six row and sauer malt. The corn/malt mash is rested at 120F, then converted at 155F, then boiled. The boiling mash is added to the main mash tun into a mixture of light and dark floor malt to reach the 1st conversion rest temp 145F. The main mash is held at 135F until the decoction is added to it. The mash tun is fired to reach the 2nd conversion temp 158F. Then, mash out. The mash is put into the lautertun to run off. The wort is chilled, trub removed, pumped to the fermenter, aerated and yeast added. The Pottsville recipe mentions cara/crystal. Two entirely different types of malt that aren't always interchangeable. Cara malts are used more so in German styles. Yuengling gets the slight sweetening from corn. The color comes from boiling the decoction and dark floor malt. The clone recipes with an infusion might be in the ball park. Try them and see what comes out. Clone recipes are like trying to clone a BMW by using blueprints for a haywagon.

I make an almost dead ringer yuengling using (10 gal batch) 2.5 lbs #60caramel, 9 lbs pale and 3 lbs corn grits. you need to do a cereal mash first with 2.0lbs of the pale and all the grits(makes all the difference in the world)There’s a pretty good description of the process in John Palmer’s How to Brew (p. 173) Also yuengling uses 1.0 oz cluster(full boil) and .5 oz cascade hops(last 15min). WLP840 American Lager Yeast. lager at 53F 2 weeks then bottle condition another 2 weeks at fridge temp.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Home Brew mobile app

Yuengling lager isn't infusion mashed. The slots in the plate of their lautertun are sized for decoction mashing. I make about a barrel of it a year. That's enough of the beer for me. This is how it is done: Corn is mashed with six row and sauer malt. The corn/malt mash is rested at 120F, then converted at 155F, then boiled. The boiling mash is added to the main mash tun into a mixture of light and dark floor malt to reach the 1st conversion rest temp 145F. The main mash is held at 135F until the decoction is added to it. The mash tun is fired to reach the 2nd conversion temp 158F. Then, mash out. The mash is put into the lautertun to run off. The wort is chilled, trub removed, pumped to the fermenter, aerated and yeast added. The Pottsville recipe mentions cara/crystal. Two entirely different types of malt that aren't always interchangeable. Cara malts are used more so in German styles. Yuengling gets the slight sweetening from corn. The color comes from boiling the decoction and dark floor malt. The clone recipes with an infusion might be in the ball park. Try them and see what comes out. Clone recipes are like trying to clone a BMW by using blueprints for a haywagon.

Yuengling uses a double mash, which is technically not the same thing as a decoction mash. Like most American lager brew houses, Yuengling uses a mash tun (main mash) and a cereal cooker (cereal mash). The malt that is mixed with the corn in the cereal cooker is a minor fraction of the total malt portion of the grist. It is used to lower the viscosity of the cereal mash. The cereal mash is boiled because the corn is not gelatinized going into the cereal cooker. The bulk of the starch in the cereal cooker is not converted until the cereal mash is combined with the main mash. It's the way that American lager has been made since the late nineteenth century.

Yuengling Cereal Cooker

CerealCooker_zpsa2a59483.jpg

Yuengling Mash Tun

MashTun_zps3aae67f3.jpg

The word decoction means to extract by boiling.

However, in brewing, the term has a specific meaning. The term "decoction" in brewing means to remove and boil a portion of the main mash before returning it to the mash tun; hence, the phrase "pulling a decoction." The fraction of the mash that is boiled goes through full enzymatic conversion before boiling. While boiling liberates a small amount of unmodified starch, its main effect is to deepen malt flavor via the production of melanoidins, which are formed when sugars combine with amino acids.

With a double mash, the cereal mash contains around ten percent of the total malt portion of the grist, which is usually between six and eight percent of the total grist. Hence, the cereal mash lacks the enzymatic power required to achieve full conversion. The rests serve to lower the viscosity the cereal mash in order to prevent scorching and to make it easier to pump. The cereal mash is boiled to liberate the bulk of the starch contained in the corn kernels via gelatinization of the endosperm. Conversion of this starch does not occur until the cereal mash is combined with the main mash.

http://books.google.com/books?id=TQ...0CCgQ6AEwADgK#v=onepage&q=double mash&f=false

Back