Need a Session Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumboldtBrewer

Reaction score
So I would like to brew a nice and light beer that my BMC friends can drink while we are at the river, beach or brewing beer. Also for the ladies that don't dabble in the craft brewing genre. Thanks guys

I would second Brew-Boy's idea: go with a bitters. Never mind the unfortunate name. Refreshing, well-balanced beer with a relatively low ABV, good this time of year. Just be sure to avoid the word "bitter" until after your friends have had one or two.

A Witbier or lower ABV Saison could work as well. Both can be relatively straightforward to brew, have plenty of flavor from the yeast, and I have yet to find someone that will turn down a well brewed one. As far as the wits go, something along the lines of:

50% Pilsner malt
50% Wheat malt (can throw in some flaked wheat as well here)
Aim for an OG of around 1.050

~15-20 IBUs from a single 60 minute addition, I like Saaz, but just about any lower AA hops will work. Go for noble if possible.

At flameout add ~1 oz orange zest and ~.5 oz crushed coriander.
Ferment with Wy3944 around 70*F

For the table Saison, I really like:

75% Pilsner malt
25% Wheat malt
Aim for OG around 1.045

~15 IBU from a 75 minute addition, noble hops if you can (I like EKG)
0.5 oz Styrian Goldings @ 15 min
0.5 oz Styrian Goldings or Saaz or EKG (I like a blend of all 3) @ flameout

Ferment with Wy3522 @ low 70's

Nice and light, river or beach, plus ladies...

Sounds like a summer ale style would be awesome; lemon and oranges are good when the weather is hot.

6lbs extra light DME
.5lbs cara-pils
.25 munich
.25 wheat
.5oz chinook 60 min
.25 sterling 35 min
1 cup lemon peel, no pith, 20 min
1 cup orange peel, no pith, 20 min
.25oz sterling 5 min

Wyeast 1056 American Ale

This one will be cloudy but it should be. Usually take a month from brewing it to drinking it. It's been a hit at picnics and such.

Latest posts

Back