Need a new yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheels4

Reaction score
Looking for some recommendations on a replacement for the Mangrove M03 New Castle yeast. This was used in all my Stouts and Porters but seeing how it is no longer produced I need something similar. I have used Nottingham, s-04, Windsor, London ESB and none of these were as good as the M03. Any suggestions? I could go with a liquid yeast if need be.

How about M15, M36 or M42? Many of the MJ strains were simply renamed and numbered. Not sure what M03 morphed into if anything.

My bet is that it's likely the same as Danstar-Lallemand London ESB. All the Mangroves are just repackaged from other manufacturers.

Cheers.

I’ve heard that but there are some yeasts that don’t seem to fit other dry yeast offerings.

I’ve heard that but there are some yeasts that don’t seem to fit other dry yeast offerings.
If you mean they don't seem match Lallemand's or Fermentis' offerings, that's because they also have a couple from Mauribrew, otherwise unavailable in the US. Cali Lager for example.

It would be nice to have a code book just to translate.

I emailed them and this is what they said.
Sam (Mangrove Jack's)

Aug 1, 04:24 BST

Good day Jonny,

The best replacement would be M15 Empire Ale yeast – it is lower attenuating than most other strains, so ideal for full bodied and slightly sweeter stouts and porters, along with brown ales, milds, and other full bodied beers.

Let us know should you need anything further.

Have a lovely remainder of the week.
Sam - Customer Experience Advocate - Mangrove Jack's

Gnomebrewer is dead on. I will give it a shot, thanks guys.

Last edited:
I've tried MJ M15 two times, and I bet I couldn't even fit the FG numbers on one chart. Most unreliable yeast I've ever used. Several others has reported the same. I'd rather go Fermentis or liquid than MJ to be honest. MJ is a mass production "generic" yeast which has been rebranded (at least it was, I believe Imake bought the yeast-producer which produced to several rebranding-yeast-firms). The results I've had with MJ has always been sub-par comparing to liquid or Fermentis, no matter which yeast.

I always thought MJ was a product of the Bevie company (same folks that make Grainfather) out of Cheshire UK. On their site they say they have drying and packaging capabilities.

My bet is that it's likely the same as Danstar-Lallemand London ESB. All the Mangroves are just repackaged from other manufacturers.

Cheers.

I wonder if M03 was the old Lallemand Manchester - I'm not sure if Manchester was withdrawn around the same time as M03, but it would give a reason to do so. There's been suggestions that Lallemand Manchester had some kind of connection to Scottish & Newcastle.

As for M15, I'd assume it's either Lallemand ESB or Windsor, I've not really played around enough with them to get a feel for which.

iMake was the retail-facing company based in NZ that owned brands like Grainfather and Mangrove Jacks. SPL Intl was a wholesale company in the UK that invented turbo yeasts primarily for making alcopops. SPL then did the repackaging of other yeasts for Mangrove Jacks, and eventually iMake and SPL merged to form Bevie.

I wonder if M03 was the old Lallemand Manchester - I'm not sure if Manchester was withdrawn around the same time as M03, but it would give a reason to do so. There's been suggestions that Lallemand Manchester had some kind of connection to Scottish & Newcastle.

As for M15, I'd assume it's either Lallemand ESB or Windsor, I've not really played around enough with them to get a feel for which.

iMake was the retail-facing company based in NZ that owned brands like Grainfather and Mangrove Jacks. SPL Intl was a wholesale company in the UK that invented turbo yeasts primarily for making alcopops. SPL then did the repackaging of other yeasts for Mangrove Jacks, and eventually iMake and SPL merged to form Bevie.

Y’all might me right. I shot Bevie a note asking about this internet repacking lore and this was the reply:

“We are producing a wide range of yeast products from a variety of locations. We aren’t able to discuss production methods and raw material sources or manufacturing sites publicly though.

My apologies that we are unable to assist you further.”

Y’all might me right. I shot Bevie a note asking about this internet repacking lore and this was the reply:

“We are producing a wide range of yeast products from a variety of locations. We aren’t able to discuss production methods and raw material sources or manufacturing sites publicly though.

My apologies that we are unable to assist you further.”
* Nothing to see here. Move along, move along. Nothing to see.*

...there’s this bit of evidence it’s repacked:

Attachments

• 1E220B35-9877-4AA4-8F95-C0D5041881D7.jpeg
    1E220B35-9877-4AA4-8F95-C0D5041881D7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 59
Back