Need a good SMaSH recipe that's not an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnyhamer

Reaction score
I've never brewed a simple SMaSH recipe and am curious. Not a big IPA fan either. Recently brewed a blonde and that was delicious. Open to ideas. Thanks

if you don't want a punchy "american " type IPA, id' shoot for something with maris otter and something british (fuggles, EKG. etc) or even euro like saaz

This is quite tasty: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/smash-apa-87816/\

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
100.0 10.00 lbs. Vienna Malt Germany 1.037 3

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 8.80 17.7 First WH
0.75 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 8.80 9.9 20 min.
0.75 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 8.80 4.9 5 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 Unit(s)Whirfloc Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

Danstar Nottingham

I've never brewed a simple SMaSH recipe and am curious. Not a big IPA fan either. Recently brewed a blonde and that was delicious. Open to ideas. Thanks

Most SMaSH recipes aren't IPA's they are more Pale Ales.

Are there any grains or hops you really like? Thats a good place to start, also use a neutral yeast i.e. 001 1056 or us-05

I like Maris Otter and Mosaic with late hop additions so the bitterness stayas around 30-35.

Pilsen malt and Hallertau or Saaz, 60/15, bitter to 20IBU, pitch Kolsch yeast and ferment cold.

You can basically manipulate a SMaSH in any of the same ways you would any other brew that didn't use specialty malts. Changing the balance between malt and hops, the timing of the hops, the mash temperature, the yeast strain (SMaSH brews tend to use fairly neutral yeasts, but there's no reason you couldn't use something with a bit more character than the Chico strain), the fermentation temperature, etc. It's really up to your imagination. One of the fun things about SMaSH brews is that, beyond just using it as a platform for testing out malts and hops, they are a great way of challenging yourself on the basic techniques that we use to control the final character of a beer.

Back