Need a Belgian Education

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frazier

Reaction score
One of the great things about brewing, is the research. I love a lot of beers, but so far I haven’t really been a fan of the Belgians. Don’t like clove, banana, or pepper flavors in my beer. Not a fan of horse blankets or barnyards or yogurt flavors in my beers either. I liked Chimay Gold, but the Red tasted like bubblegum, which gets another “no, thank you” from me.

But hey, I’m willing to be wrong. I’ll be visiting the Hop Leaf in Chicago this weekend, and they specialize in Belgians. Yes I could get a Two-Hearted or a Little Sumpin’, but I could get those anywhere, why waste an opportunity?

So, some recommendations, if you please.

Karmeliet is a good tripel, and I like Matilda, too. Those would be my choices (though I don't recognize a few there.)

How the hell did you get a Chimay gold? I've never seen one for sale, but maybe I've been looking in the wrong places.

Duvel might be worth trying. Achel Bruin or Extra are great, and don't have any of the flavors you claim not to like. Westmalle dubbel would be a good option, too, as the yeast character is not as intense as other examples. Any of the Rochefort offerings are ace, and also somewhat low on yeast intensity (mostly rose, figs, other dark, stewed fruit). Some saison examples could be good, just stay away from Dupont (pepper).

gulden draak, st barnardus 12, reinart flemish wild ale, slapmutaske(sp) triple, the rocheforts, Bieken honey ale, corsendonk, la trappe quad, pannepot, grand caralous of the emporer, foret saison, these are a few of my favorites in no particular order

How the hell did you get a Chimay gold? I've never seen one for sale, but maybe I've been looking in the wrong places.
Sorry to mislead you, I guess I'm referring to the white label (looks gold to me though).

At Hopleaf, I would recommend a Delirium Tremens or Nocturnum. Tripel Karmeliet is really nice too - I'm a fan. I like Kwak also, but based on what you've said, I don't think you'll like it. Gulden Draak is another really excellent Belgian there. Just make sure that you have the mussels steamed in the wittekerke. Best thing on the menu, and it goes beautifully with any of those beers.

Edit: I also like the Lucifer a lot. Interesting flavors going on there. And the Affligem Tripel. Really tough to go wrong there, and the bartenders know a lot about the beers. You can ask them for some suggestions too.

Affligem makes nice stuff. You might like Victory Golden monkey. It's not from Belgium, but it's a decent Tripel (and cheap at $6 a 750ml) and like all things from Victory, a little heavy on the hops for the style.

I really like Duvel and have had a couple of the Chimays, Rocheforts, etc which I have really liked.

But one of my all time Belgian favorites that they have is Houblon Chouffe. It is a great beer and would highly recommend. La Chouffe is nice as well, but Houblon is better IMO.

St. Bernardus has a nice lineup as well.

My favorite happens to be Hennepin. It's a Saison--not sure if you like the style.

Majority of my beer drinking friends prefer Chimay Red.

I like Chimay Grand Reserve (Blue) on occasion, but prefer the golden tripels or strongs like Duvel. I brew a lot of Belgian beer styles from Saisons to Tripels to just about anything Belgian. I bottled a Wit last week. I tend to enjoy the complexity of the belgian yeast strains. If you keep the temps under 70*F with most of the Belgian yeasts, you won't have that banana characteristic.

beerloaf

I almost forgot, if you want to know Belgians down to a great detail. Check out BLAM (brew like a monk) great read on the topic. Not just the Trappist beers but most of the bigger and even smaller Belgian breweries are included.

beerloaf

Whenever I'm in Maine, I go hunting for stuff from Alagash.

Alagash White is a summer staple. Their Curieux is one of my favorite beers, period.

Back