near catastrophe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUS_scotty

Reaction score
I had my wort fermenting away for 3 day in a nice temp stable room. But had visitors and had to move it. When i picked it up i nearly dropped the fermenter (and the contents of my bowl). It agitated the **** out of it. I put fresh boiled water into the vapour lock and put it back somewhere safe. Would it be damaged from the shake up?? It seems to be fine and its still bubbling away.

If it was only three days into fermentation you'll be fine. In the future, another option for your airlock is cheap vodka. Helps to kill anything that gets in there, and if any of it gets shocked back into the brew it'll just be a welcome addition of alcohol to your ABV :mug:

If it is still fermenting then you are fine. The major problem for aeration is after fermentation. If this was a week or two after pitching yeast, then I would be concerned.

You probably only shook co2 back into the beer. I would not worry much, but try not to do that.

I agree with vodka or a starsan solution in the airlock. I would be worried that something nasty might get a foothold in just water, even boiled.

Even if fermentation was done, would there be any harm done aside from stirring up the trub? All peple would do then would be to tell you to let it sit for a while so that the solids could settle back down out of solution.

It's no big deal. Just let it settle. Your headspace is full of CO2 anyway. Now don't go shaking the thing for fun and all.

I purposefully agitate my beer when I crank up the temperature towards the latter half of fermentation. Remember, CO2 is heavier than oxygen - during fermentation, what is inside your wort and the air space of your fermentation vessel is primarily CO2 because the oxygen is pushed out once heavy CO2 production begins and your airlock starts bubbling. Oxidation isn't a big concern while your beer is still fermenting - rather, try to avoid introducing oxygen when ferementation is done and there's no longer that protective CO2 "blanket".

I would not use boiled water in the airlock. Boiling only kills the bactria that's in it, not the bacteria that falls from the room side of the airlock. Sometimes moving the fermenter can push the air pressure in the fermenter negative and suck the airlock contents back. Starsan and vodka will not support bacterial growth.

I would not use boiled water in the airlock. Boiling only kills the bactria that's in it, not the bacteria that falls from the room side of the airlock. Sometimes moving the fermenter can push the air pressure in the fermenter negative and suck the airlock contents back. Starsan and vodka will not support bacterial growth.

Again, most of the time, CO2 is pushing out through the air lock, meaning that bacteria from the room side of the airlock is probably not going to get in to your airlock or your beer while you have active fermentation. I'm all for taking precautions, but you're talking about a very small amount of water and a very low chance of infection. If you've got some extra sanitizer solution laying around, by all means, fill your airlock with it, but boiled water is fine. Heck, I've used regular tap water before, it's really not a big deal. Vodka is for drinking - quit wasting it in your airlock!

Back