NE Pale Ale Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_javi

Reaction score
OG 1.054
FG 1.014
IBU 42.4
SRM 4.8

80% Maris Otter
17.5 % Flaked Oats
2.5 % Honey Malt

.5 Citra 10 Min
.5 Galaxy 10 Min
.5 Mosaic 10 Min

.5 Citra 20 Min steep
.5 Galaxy 20 Min Steep
.5 Mosaic 20 Min Steep

.5 Citra DH at High Krausen
.5 Galaxy DH at HK
.5 Mosaic DH at HK

.5 Citra DH 3 days
.5 Galaxy DH 3 Days
.5 Mosaic DH 3 days

US-04

looks good to me but i would switch the yeast just my opinion..i bias cause i dont like s04

Pretty similar to what I do with a NE APA recipe. I do add about 5% Vienna, but that's a personal preference.

Two things... yeast, I would suggest London Ale Yeast III or Conan... not sure if US-04 will give you what you seek.

Second, is the .5 referring to oz of hops in your additions? If yes, I think you are way under hopping (assuming a 5 gal recipe). I think your dry hops need to fall in the 3 to 6 oz (total) range per charge.

Two things... yeast, I would suggest London Ale Yeast III or Conan... not sure if US-04 will give you what you seek.

Second, is the .5 referring to oz of hops in your additions? If yes, I think you are way under hopping (assuming a 5 gal recipe). I think your dry hops need to fall in the 3 to 6 oz (total) range per charge.

But he's talking an APA not an IPA. Like I stated, I'm pretty close to those numbers and get very good APA results.

I use S-04 for my NEIPAS, 1318 is also a good choice.

Add your dry hops all at once unless you want to DDH

You are basically all over a NE IPA minus a few ounces of total hops. But this will make a super nice beer and your G/M/C hop combo is spot on.

Knowing a PA is your goal, I still think I'd use 1318 or a similar Conan strain which has been proven to produce fine beers in this style range. Not so sure S04 is the exact yeast I'd use....but you should make that final decision based on the goals you have and the way you roll.

You are basically all over a NE IPA minus a few ounces of total hops. But this will make a super nice beer and your G/M/C hop combo is spot on.

Knowing a PA is your goal, I still think I'd use 1318 or a similar Conan strain which has been proven to produce fine beers in this style range. Not so sure S04 is the exact yeast I'd use....but you should make that final decision based on the goals you have and the way you roll.

I agree. I would like to use 1318, but I chose 04 for 2 reasons. First, I would like to brew this tomorrow and don't have time for a starter. Second, my LHBS only carries White Labs so I'd have to order 1318 online.

Yes, it is .5 oz. I'm really kinda shooting for something lower gravity than an IPA. Right now I'm mashing in a 5 gallon cooler, so 5 gallons of a bigger IPA is not feasible. But I would like to get close following APA numbers. When i have a bigger tun, I will definitely go bigger.

Citra Mosaic Galaxy seems to be the classic homebrew combo for this style. I've read a number of suggestions that Galaxy can overpower this mix. If so, then either add more C-M or less G.

Back