NE IPA Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miilkbreath

Reaction score
So I'm in a bit of a pinch and doing some partial mash brews. I'm jumping on the haze craze and trying to do this juicy IPA thing.

.5 oz flaked oats .5 oz toasted wheat 1 oz pale 2-row Steep specialty grains 20 mins

Distilled water with equal parts chloride and sulfate (????????) not exactly sure how much yet, still researching others success.

Boil 30 minutes 6.6LBS pale malt extract 1.25lb dextrose corn sugar 0.5oz warrior hops FWH 2oz citra whirlpool 15 min 2oz mosaic whirlpool 15 min

Yeast: London Ale Yeast III 1318

1oz mosaic DH 5 days 1oz citra DH 5 days

1oz mosaic DH 10 days 1oz citra DH 10 days

Not sure if the WP hop additions and the DH additions should be increased or not. What do you usually add??

0.5 oz? Rather 0.5 pounds?

You want atleast 15%+ flaked wheat or oats. Im also pretty sure you have to mash the grains you mentioned you wont get much from just steeping them.

I do brew extract or partial so I can't help with grain bill but I can help with water profile and hopping. Shoot for 300 Chloride and 100 Sulfate. I prefer no bittering hops in my but its a preference. I'd shoot for 1.5oz to 2oz of each hop at flameout, whirlpool, day 1 dry hop and day 4 dry hop. Be sure to make a starter, that day 1 drop hop is crucial for the haziness to stick and linger around. Needs to be dry hopped during peak fermentation

@bb6kid is correct. You want more of a 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 ratio of chloride to gypsum ratio for this style. It'll help contribute to the mouthfeel of the style. Aim for no less than 200ppm chloride

As for the first dry hop, needs to be during peak fermentation. Day 5 is too late. Push that to day 2. Possibly even 1 day after brewing if your yeast kicks off fast. Starter isn't necessary if you can watch it and get your dry hop timing correct.

For your whirlpool additions, i would say chill to about 160*F and just do 1.5oz each of citra and mosaic for 30 min simply because i don't know what temps you were planning for whirlpool and i don't know if you'll get anymore out of two 15 min whirlpools than you would out of one. Take the extra. 5oz of each and add it to one of your dry hops. Id say add it to your 1st dry hop.

Your dry hop amounts may work. Mine are usually 3oz additions, one at day 2 and one at day 8.

As far as the rest, can't help much. Not familiar with partial mashing.

Good luck

Back