NE Inspired IPA Results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grassfeeder

Reaction score
So, I've gone through all the forums and read as much as I can about the style. I've got a few Trillium Beers, Maine Beer Co beers - have never got my hands on anything else being on the West Coast so I'm not sure how this recipe may compare to say a Treehouse or Tired Hands and Farm Hillstead.

With that being said, this recipe is by far my favorite out of the few batches I have done. It explodes with ripe tropical fruits. Enjoyed at proper temps its almost like a glass of mixed fruit juice. Super soft mouthfeel, hint of bitterness that keeps it together. I'm proud of this one.

13606637_10210263538965317_2513594344090120394_n.jpg

Recipe:
HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Sweet 16 IPA

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.055
Efficiency: 60% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.074
Final Gravity: 1.019
ABV (standard): 7.32%
IBU (tinseth): 31.61
SRM (morey): 5.79

FERMENTABLES:
13 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (73.2%)
0.75 lb - Corn Sugar - Dextrose (4.2%)
0.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 15L (2.8%)
0.5 lb - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (2.8%)
1.5 lb - American - White Wheat (8.5%)
1.5 lb - Flaked Oats (8.5%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 31.61
2 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 170 °F
2 oz - El Dorado, Type: Pellet, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 170 °F
2 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 170 °F
3 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
3 oz - El Dorado, Type: Pellet, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
3 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
Mash at 150 degrees
ph at 5.2-5.3 with 1 tbsp of calcium chloride and 2 tbsp of gypsum

YEAST:
White Labs - Dry English Ale Yeast WLP007
Ferment at 65 for 3 days and ramp up to finish off at 69.

Looks like NE! I'm glad you made something you enjoy. I haven't tried any of the NE IPA's but I must say they don't look terribly appealing : ) Are they typically not bitter?

Looks like NE! I'm glad you made something you enjoy. I haven't tried any of the NE IPA's but I must say they don't look terribly appealing : ) Are they typically not bitter?

I actually love the appearance per the style. really gives you the sense of delicious fruits. they're very low on the IBU scale, just enough to give a good balance.

Looks like a good recipe! Lately I've been omitting oats in favor of white wheat when I want to add some body. How is the flavor profile with the primary hopping done in the whirlpool?

When I typically only do late addition, the hop character seems to be bright and vibrant, but lacking depth and character from a dank bittering addition. Moving forward I'm going to have a 60, 5, and 0 addition of a dank bittering hop, and then finish with a bright whirlpool hopping. My hopes is that this gives the beer multiple "layers" of flavor.

Looks like a good recipe! Lately I've been omitting oats in favor of white wheat when I want to add some body. How is the flavor profile with the primary hopping done in the whirlpool?

When I typically only do late addition, the hop character seems to be bright and vibrant, but lacking depth and character from a dank bittering addition. Moving forward I'm going to have a 60, 5, and 0 addition of a dank bittering hop, and then finish with a bright whirlpool hopping. My hopes is that this gives the beer multiple "layers" of flavor.

Something I may certainly try. I had never done a sole bettering addition at 30. I primarily did it here because I wanted to hit a certain IBU and I also wanted to use an even 1oz of hops cause I'm pretty lazy. I think it may need to be a bit revised though and boil earlier so pull out a bit more bettering profile. The end result was that it's pure fkn tropical fruits. With the body of the beer being quite good I think, it's far too easy of a 7.3% beer. Zero presence of the alcohol.

With that said, I'm going to brew a revised version of this that will come in at 11.5% hopefully. See how crushable I can get that with similar hop profile.

Having recently returned from a vacation in Maine, i'm inspired to try my hand at brewing a New England style IPA. For those of you who haven't tried one, don't let that cloudiness scare you away. It's not yeast, the cloudiness comes from all the late addition hops that they use. To clear the beer up they would have to filter it and you would lose some of its' hoppy goodness.

Latest posts

Back