NE Double IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthonie

Reaction score
Ive made this recipe twice with only minor adjustments from the original recipe. I can safely say that this was one of the first recipes I solely made and enjoyed on the first try with minimal to no complaints. I am just wondering what others think about it, or if anyone has made a similar recipe. I am thinking of maybe trying the same recipe with safale US-04 ( I typically only us the US-05 because I am familiar with it) but I had heard that the 04 may give a more fruity taste to compliment the hop selection better.

Here is the recipe:

3 gallons
ABV: 7.5%
IBU: 132

Grain:
9lbs US Pale 2-Row
.5lbs Crystal 40L
.25 lbs Dextrose 15 min left in boil

Hops:
1oz magnum @ 60min
.75 Warrior @ 60min
1oz El Dorado @ 5min
1oz Galaxy @ 5min
1oz Galaxy @ flame out

Dry Hop:
1oz Simcoe @ 7days
2oz Galaxy @ 4days

Safale US-05 Yeast (rehydrated)

Overall, Loved this recipe. But I would like to increase the ABV which I believe is due to not having had upgraded my mash tun yet. I also would like to simplify the hop schedule by using more of the same hop (huge fan of El dorado after bring this). Also a big fan of Galaxy. Lastly, thinking about changing to US-04, but have never used it before.

Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts.

yeah at 60 min there is no reason to use 2 different big hops like that, just use one of them there (up the amount if you are making it higher ABV).. i wouldn't change the yeast though especially if you are doing other changes.. good to just do one at a time then you can really know what that change did to the beer.. 05 is better for IPAs anyways IMO

For NE IPAs you should really consider doing an extensive hopstand/whirlpool (30' or longer) well after flameout, when the wort has been chilled down to 170-180F. Move all your late hops to the whirlpool. Do the first dry hop before the fermentation has totally completed, say with 10 points to go. Then finish up with the second one a few days later.

There are several threads on NE IPA brewing, using a variety of techniques and yeasts. My last Galaxy NE DIPA featured a 1st generation starter of WY1272, going from 1.090 to 1.018 within 2 weeks and remained very cloudy. Came out really well, accentuating the citrus. I'm preparing a large starter of WY1318 (Boddingtons) for the next one. Many use Conan or some other Vermont-style yeast.

Do you have pictures of your hazy NEIPA, made with US-05? 'Cause I doubt you got any haziness, without oats, wheat and a proper yeast for the style.

S-04 is definitely one of my favourites, but it cleans out very nicely, without any finnings and it will not yield a NEIPA style.

There is fruitiness in S-04, but not nearly as much as other liquid strains.

Back