NB's Dark Star burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grem135

Reaction score
Son got me a $120 worth of fathers day gift cards to Northern Brewer and I was looking at the their Dark Star Burner. They have it in stock again and its 54000 btu for $40. Anyone have it or have an opinion on it? I'm also looking for about an 8 gallon kettle and found this 9 gallon with a welded fitting.

What you guys think?

I'm in the market for a pot as well. For $69 I might just pick me up one of those! The burner looks nice too but I have one from a turkey burner.

I've done two batches prior, both on the damn stove, but today's batch was my first one using a propane burner. I got the Dark Star from NB about two weeks ago and have been itching to use it!

First, it took 5 gallons of water from 70 degrees to 165 degrees (for crystal malt steep) in 10 minutes. FWIW, I use an 8 gallon tri-clad stainless with notched lid.

The boil went very well. I finally got a good hot-break and a rolling boil and I KNOW this batch will be my first good one!

I will have to pay more attention to the air damper on the venturi inlet as I got some soot on the bottom of my pot. Easy fix there.

Sooooo, to answer the OP, I am glad I got a very good burner for less than 50 bucks including shipping. (bought some other stuff so the shipping cost was actually spread out a bit)

BTW, I used 1.4 lbs of propane. Other burners may have higher BTU's and some even with using less fuel, but that's fine. I likes mine nuf, yo.

I bought the dark star about a month ago and have done two batches on it. It's a great burner. Beats the heck out of my turkey fryer burner. I am very pleased with it.

I bought a dark star burner since I started the thread and got to use it and my new 9 gallon kettle Friday. All I can say is wow what a difference. Very easy to control and I guess I got the air control set right (by accident I'm sure) as I got no soot on my kettle and a blue flame.

ForumRunner_20130729_064007.jpg

ForumRunner_20130729_064020.jpg

Good thing I checked the radar... Wasn't supposed to rain for another 3 hours.

I have that pot and love it. It's a great value. Check out the lid, mine had some grease spots on it that I needed to clean up, but other than that, no dings or dents. I bought the stainless ball valve to go with it. It's a perfect size and well suited to doing 5 gallon all grain boils, it should work well for you!

I've brewed (my first) two beers on the Dark Star burner and really enjoyed it. I've done partial boils with extracts, and trying to keep the flame low enough for a mild rolling boil caused some soot on the bottom of the kettle, no matter how much I monkeyed with the air or the gas flow. But I inherited the kettle from my brother so I'm not too worried about it. Plus it washed off pretty easily.

All in all, worth the investment especially for a newbie like me.

DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMINT

I have been looking at this burner for the last week, and TODAY they upped the price from 39 to 49!

DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT!

DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMINT

I have been looking at this burner for the last week, and TODAY they upped the price from 39 to 49!

DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT!

Don't stress out that hard over $10.

Go have a beer :)

Does anyone else have issues with this leaving large amounts of black soot on the bottom of your kettle?

The biggest problem I have heard from locals in my area, other than soot, who have used it is that there are two settings: Off and Sun.

I got the Bayou Classic SP10 for $50 and couldn't be happier.

Just my 2 bits!

Latest posts

Back