NB Surly Furious Clone with Saison Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makomachine

Reaction score
Planning to do my first Belgian IPA and considering making up a Surly Furious base beer and pitching 3711 into it. I've really enjoyed the malt and hops in this beer with WLP007 and it would seem a great beer to twist given the flavors. 3711 will likely dry it out more obviously but I can account for that a bit in the mash - drier isn't a bad thing really.

So have I lost my marbles? First time venturing into a Belgian IPA and looking for some experienced advice here.

7.5# UK 2-Row
3.25# Simpsons Golden Promise
.88# Simpsons Medium Crystal
.63# Aromatic Malt
.12# Roasted Barley

Mash 153 60 min

.5oz Amarillo 60min
1.75oz Warrior 60min
2oz Amarillo flameout

Dry hop blend
5pz Simcoe
2.5oz Ahtanum
.5oz Amarillo
.5oz Warrior

Wyeast 3711

Things that come to mind is:
- backing off the bittering addition to account for the drier finish.
- cutting the dry hops down by 1/3 to 1/2
- mashing couple degrees higher

Thoughts?

No suggestions from the peanut gallery? I tried a blend of a furious and a 3711 Saison I just racked to keg - might be too much going on here. Any suggestions are appreciated and may just scrap that idea and look first tried and true BIPA recipes.

Hopefully your mash temp is 153 and not 163. Otherwise, go for it! Saison yeasts are fun to play with, and while they attenuate like mofo's they don't dry things out as much as you'd think flavor-wise - at least that has been my experience.

MNDan said:
Hopefully your mash temp is 153 and not 163. Otherwise, go for it! Saison yeasts are fun to play with, and while they attenuate like mofo's they don't dry things out as much as you'd think flavor-wise - at least that has been my experience.

Thanks MNDan - typo above which I've fixed, so you were correct! Any thoughts on the bittering?

Back