NB SS Minnow Dry Dock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gishua

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Pretty new to brewing. This was my 2nd brew. I chose to go with NB SS Minnow Dry Dock. The brew went well and I sanitized everything very well before brewing and during bottling.

Primary Fermentation - 2 weeks

I bottled 3/30/14 and been trying bottles every week since then. I'm experiencing some issues and wondering if it's just GREEN beer.

1. Tastes undercarbed - we put 2/3 cup as directed in instructions of sugar that came with kit
2. Tastes cidery / winey
3. I took to local brew shop and guy said it tasted a bit sour? I don't know the sour taste just yet.

Any help appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

What temp did you ferment? Do you have any way of regulating temperature?

That's pretty high temp, especially if that is room temp, fermentation adds heat so if your room temp is about 70+ the actual temp of the beer could be closer to 75+

Looking at the recipe on Northern Brewer the yeast is 1968 London ESB, its temp range is 64-72.

I would reccomend a Swamp Cooler (essentially submerge your fermenting vessel in a tub/bucket full of water and add frozen bottles) to regulate temperature, that is a cheap option that I used for the first 10 or so batched until I upgraded to a fridge with an external temp controller.

Let it sit for a week and try it again.

But these are already in the bottle. So basically trash? LOL

Yeah i'll just let it sit and start another brew. It tastes like a flemish....would low sugar in bottles cause a sour taste?

In a week try it out, if it's more sour tasting then you might have an infection.
What are you using for water? You could have a higher than usual level of chlorine in your tap which could cause a slightly sour flavor...I think....
How long did you condition in the bottle?

I bottled 3/30/14 so basically a month
Using Tap water (when would i put metabisulfit in? For the 3 gallons in fermented after boil?)

Ok i'll do that next time. Think the SS is bad? Should I toss it?

Back