NB Oud Bruin de Table

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smmcdermott

Reaction score
I just brewed this over the weekend and I realize that if I leave it for a long period (suggests 12-18 months) it will become a sour beer. I have a couple of questions on this as this is my first experience with anything like this.

1) What exactly turns this sour? Is it the yeast or is something else added?

2) I have a 3.5 Gallon bucket wich is great for experimenting on smaller batches. Can I transfer 3 gallons to this for secondary and leave for a long time to obtain the sourness?

3) Has anyone made this and left to become sour? How long did it take you?

I am assuming no one has done the sour part of this as I think it is fairly new, but can you advise how long a sour generally takes?

Thanks for the help! :mug:

Anyone know if I can chop this into two batches? One long term for the sour effect and one short term? I have a 3.5 gallon bucket, so I was thinking 3 gallons into that for the long term and bottle 2 gallons.

Anyone?

You'll have to let the half you want to bottle ferment out all the way. Now taking into consideration the brettanomyces and the bacteria in the Roslare blend it will be a while until they are done munching. So that means you might as well just leave the whole thing as one souring as a unit. Plus the ones in the bottle will most likely just sour in the bottle, giving you potential exploding bottles. You can split the batch, just that you can't do it until much later.

How long would you say until i can safely bottle. I was planning on bottling the end of April, giving me about 6 weeks in fermentor. I am not familiar with this yeast.

Bottling at 6 weeks will give you bottle bombs.

This blend of yeast and other bugs takes many months to ferment out. There is a very good reason for the recommendation to leave this in fermenter for that long. Are there instructions for an oak dowel inserted into this beer at some point?

BLAH....

No instructions for Oak Dowel. So in terms of transferring to secondary, when would be a good point. My problem is this: At the end of April I go to London for 2 months for work. Should I transfer before I go, or just wait til after?

You can transfer if you really want before your trip and then just leave it in that secondary fermentor for at least six months.

I have to ask at this point. Did you know what you were getting into when you ordered and brewed this kit up?

Sorry about the hijack.

So the kit says bottle in 2-12 months. I brewed this about a month ago and am going to be out of town for four months.

Do you think that is long enough or should I go ahead and wait the extra month?

How low does the roeselare blend go?

This is my first sour.:mug:

was looking into this one too as my first sour, plan on letting it sit for a full year and let the bugs go to work. How would I add cherries to this beast after a year? Would the cherry puree from NB work? Or would I need to use whole fruit? Anyone from this thread bottle or taste theirs yet?

I've been drinking this beer for a few weeks now after it going through 18 months in a fermenter. Towards the end I added two cans of Oregon fruit cherries, 2 more cans would have only helped. It's placed in the top three in a local homebrew competition.

IMG_20170127_152005259_HDR.jpg

Back