Navigating the global grain squeeze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upstate12866

Reaction score
My LHBS closed down in February. :( I've been exploring the world of online grain suppliers and see that I'll be paying much more than I once was, especially for German and other European malts.

I think we all know about the global grain shortage on top of the general price increases for everything these days. Since I can't ask my LHBS anymore, I would like to pick your brains if you would like to share.

Are you folks thinking much about grain shortages and prices? Have any behaviors or decisions changed for you? Taking any shortcuts you'd like to share? For instance, I think it's an appropriate summer for me to try a few Modelo corn clones and Sapporo rice clones.

I'm also curious what's around the bend. Does anyone have any scoop about how the near future will play out, or have any insider info to share? (Will this get worse over time or will suppliers respond with more North American output next harvest season?)

If given the choice, would you buy up grains now or are you tolerating the price increases and resisting the urge to hoard a bit?

Thanks everyone

I get nearly all my malt from my semi-local small malting house, Sugar Creek. I’ve driven down there (~2 hours) to load up my car, and I’ve paid for shipping in between. Price is high, but so is quality. They malt some European style malts that are as good or better than actual European malts I’ve used … nowadays, I use Maris-Otter-style English pale rather than actual MO. Not everyone is going to be close to a great maltster, but it’s probably more common than you think.

Back