Natural Gas Vs Propane vs Electric

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

te3b0r

Reaction score
Hey all I have a basement that I have the OK to turn into a brew space when we get a stack-able washer and dryer that can be in main part of the house. The basement currently has all the laundry hookup stuff including a gas line for the dryer. It go me thinking in the long run what would cost the least per brew session in the long run? Stick with my propane burner(currently using outdoors), Convert the basement into a electric brew space, or find a burner that could hookup to the gas line that is there? Of course I will make sure everything will be ventilated before starting on this endeavor but just curious on thoughts.

Hi, if it were me, I'd go electric. If I'd do gas, I'd do a small boiler converted to steem. I would not plan to run big burners in the house (even though I do) I did HVAC for 13years and the big burners are to much risk. Not saying you should not, but check your HO/O insurance to mak sure it's cool. O and the cost, most is LP and least is natural gas.

If you have the OK for a brew room, go with the electric if you can afford it. The electric will not heat the room nearly as bad as gas and will keep the rest of the room cool, thus saving on having to build a fermeting cooler or lager chest. The electric will be pretty cheap cost per batch wise and will not create additional ventilation and fire concerns either. Just my .02, but if I had a naturally cooled basement I would utilize that to my best benefit. Ypu probably even have a pretty stout 220 outlet for the dryer so wiring should be pretty inexpensive to do too.
Wheelchair Bob

Good points I may look into Electric. The gas dryer is only 110 but the good news is the Breaker Box is right there so making it 220 will be pretty damn easy!

Electric is cheap and there is no potential dangerous exhaust. Plus electric is really efficient, much more so than most gas systems.

Back