Natural Gas on the cheap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I have a natural gas grill on the deck. I have a 1/2" nat gas line into the garage (was for heat but...). Anyway, I decided that now isn't a good time to surrender to the gods of LP refills.

I'm starting with a 15g keggle, 5g AG batches for now, upgrade to 10g whenever I feel like it so I knew I'd need something with a little power. I picked up the 23 jet nat gas burner (the cast iron ring with brass tips) and I temporarily connected it to the 1/2" line in the garage. Woah doggy, I was scared to turn the ball valve more than half way open cuz the flames were already 4" high.

Ok, we now know this will get the keggle to boiling in no time but I need a cheap solution for a flex line to the keggle either near or just outside the garage door. This is about 15-20 feet from the hard line.

Now, I know about Darwin awards and all that crap and there will be a few people throwing out doomsday warnings about what I'm going to ask/propose but we need to have some practical knowledge of risks and all that before we do anything potentially dangerous (use power tools, welding, drinking etc). Let's be realistic.

I've looked at the LP/nat gas hose kits all over the place and I'm just not paying $100 + for a 20' x 1/2" hose set.

Given the fact that the hose will only be used during brew sessions and otherwise, blown out, rolled up and protected, I need some ideas. I'm thinking of using a permanent hose barb connection on the brew stand. I'd use a barb slightly larger than the hose so it would be a tight fit and I'd throw double clamps on it anyway. On the hard line connection, I'd need a SEMI quick disconnect. Now, I've checked out the QD's on Mcmaster.. oops, the sleeve fitting is $25 alone. Ok, so how about a steel union fitting or brass flare with a hose barb for the hose connection?

I know the QD's dedicated to gas use have a temperature triggered shutdown, but remember, I'm not leaving this connected for more than 3 hours at a time.
Is there any issue with how many times a union or flare connection is connected/disconnected? I'm figuring on about one brew session a month.

Ok flame on, pun intended.

Do they have any corrugated stainless steel tubing (yellow, bendable stuff) at HD/Lowes that's long enough? Is that what you've seen as $100?

I remember seeing it and many different lengths/sizes but can't remember if they had anything that long. If they don't, a plumbing supply store may be able to get you the length you need.

When I was looking around at some of the local gas/propane supply stores trying to figure out how to plumb my burners, some of those places had long hoses and/or made them to order on site. I know that route wouldn't be anywhere near $100, but I don't know if the diameter is big enough for NG.

What's the fitting for your orifice? Is it a flared fitting or pipe threads?

The input to these burners are 1/2" FPT (female NPT). I'm not 100% sure I really need to use 1/2" ID hose, but I have heard of people seeing a major flame difference between 1/2 and 3/8" but that may have been on a much larger burner.

Oh, just found this.. 3/8" for up to 60kBTU and 1/2 for up to 115kBTU. http://www.tejassmokers.com/NatGasHoses.htm

The 20 footer is $159.

They're way overpriced. I paid $10 for my 6' hose, and they've got it listed at $35.

Seriously, call around or visit your local gas/propane businesses and tell them what you need. If they don't have it, they can probably tell you who does.

Good luck.

well....it won't be to code....but i have used 3/8" airtool hose and fittings (with a shutoff on the hard line) to hook up a fryer.....just be sure to get the good quality fittings, the cheap ones tend to leak....and don't leave the nat gas in the line. someone might hook it up to a nail gun....

but for temporary, attended use, it can work...... It'd be better than hose barbs at least....

I picked up some Goodyear Horizon 1/2" untility hose. It's EPDM rubber so it's not really rated for continued oil derivative use but again, 3 hours at a time with the gas blown out afterwards, no big deal. I actually have some high quality brass garden hose quick disconnects and I bought a 1/2 NPT to hose adapter. I'm sure they shouldn't leak gas, but I'll do the soapy water test. On the burner side, i'm going hose barb to a second ball valve for flame control. I'll take some pics when it's all done in case anyone else wants to tempt fate. Look out, I'm a rebel.

Back