Natural gas lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wuttheheeck

Reaction score
Hello all.

First I realize that I am not a professional and will contact one before messing with NG.

I have a NG pipe that fires my furnace in the garage. We do not use the furnace so i was going to unattach it and attach a flexible line of some sort to provide NG to brew stand ~40 feet outside the garage door.

What is the cheapest option for extending the hose? I have seen on HBT forums that people use flex hoses, compressed air hoses and even garden hoses :smack:

i realize that NG rated hoses would be ideal, but they are so darn expensive, and i'm tired of running out of LP

what are my best options?

yes, thats the general idea. I need at the minimum 20 feet.

Can anybody claim good results with a non NG-rated hosing? im specifically interested in compression air hoses, as NG is low pressure. Im sure theres some issue about the inside hose deteriorating.

I know its not up to quality. but i dont want to break my bank on a hose ill use 8 hours a month.

Personally I pick safety over money 100% of the time:)

Don't forget about shut offs as well. Remember, you won't be paying for LP so there is a big net savings over time. Not sure what LP costs you but for me two tanks equal the price of that hose recommended........

I also vote for safety. Those NG hoses are made specifically for NG applications for a reason. Yes it will cost 100-150, but you will be able to sleep well knowing that your makeshift hose isn't going to blow up the house. It is well worth the investment, and definitely have a professional do the install.

Install a shut-off at the hard pipe then a gas quick-disconnect. I use 1/2" rubber heater hose sold by the foot at the hardware store. It is disconnected and purged after each brew session before hit is hung up. Working great for 5 years now with no issues. Go with the larger diameter hose to maintain gas flow.

Back