Natural Carbination Techniques Quandary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aloha_Brew

Reaction score
OK...
So, I've had a few dealing s with other bottlings and brews as noted in my previous threads and I've something to note in order to receive feedback from those who have been there. First of all, I had bottled a Cooper's Stout clone and a IPA type labeled "Old English" by the BJCP abd they turned out great...for the first couple of weeks. After I came back from my visit to Japan's natural disaster I found that m beer had also suffered under it's own natural disaster.

After 2 weeks before I left in 75 degree temps, both brews tasted fine. When I returned after 4 weeks in 75 degree temps both tasted very similar to the tanginess noted in my earlier extract brews; though the Old English full of hops seemed less impacted. So that leads me to the conclusion that something is wrong with the technique I use to naturally carbonate my beers.

In the past I have always boiled my water in the microwave in a Pyrex pitcher of 2 cups of water to 3/4 cups corn sugar to about 5 gallons. Now, my yield of gallons has varied in the plus side but I've still used only 3/4 cup fermentables....whether they be corn sugar or pwdered cane sugar.Both decisions tuned out fine after 2 weeks but after 1 month they developed the same twang I have noted in previous postings with regard to extract brewing. So, in the light of such results I have used less corn sugar in my more recent batches of wheat beer and Irish Red (though the red is severly lacking) beers and will wait to see in the long run if they are affected in the same way.

Anyone else with more experience notice this same "twang" though in their beer after over-carbonating their beer? I thought it regulated to the "extract twang" I had heard of before but since brewing all-grain I must rely on other interpretations. Anyone else have any imput on the matter and what possible measures might prevail with regard to the aspect of world communisims?

I'm not happy with my bottles conditioned beers either. I used to be very happy with them until I started kegging. Now the bottled beers have a distinct "off flavor" to me. I reccommend that you start kegging and force carb. You won't have this problem anymore.....plus it's easier than bottling. And, you can bottle from the kegs now and then if you want to take some to a party or give some away. That's my advice anyway.

Latest posts

Back