Native ESP8266 BrewPi Firmware - WiFi BrewPi, no Arduino needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Thorrak my controller Board and breakout boards arrived today and i have a couple of questions if you don't mind 1st if i don't require the use of LCD can i leave out the sparks logic board(BrewPi D1 Mini TH Dupont v 0.2) 2nd on the board under where the memos goes there is a R1? do i need this resistor and if so what size is it. Sorry if these are benign questions

Hi Thorrak my controller Board and breakout boards arrived today and i have a couple of questions if you don't mind 1st if i don't require the use of LCD can i leave out the sparks logic board(BrewPi D1 Mini TH Dupont v 0.2) 2nd on the board under where the memos goes there is a R1? do i need this resistor and if so what size is it. Sorry if these are benign questions

Yes, you can leave out the SparkFun-style logic board.

I don’t have that board design in front of me, but for the boards that use SparkFun level shifters I think the only resistor is the one required for OneWire. As @garzlok noted it can be 4.7k

Can anyone recommend a small, cheap PCB to supply 12v from mains?
I want to keep the build small so no mains bricks etc, or and I assume they must exist (like what's found inside cheap USB plugs) but can't find anything.

btw, if powering an Arduino via its barrel receptacle, use a 9VDC power supply, not 12VDC. The latter will be very hard on the board's 5V three terminal linear regulator causing it to become very hot and shorten its life span. Bad juju...

Cheers!

The boards didn’t work exactly like I wanted, and in the mean time I realized that I needed to get another project finished for this one to be as easy to use as I’d like.

I’ll write a more detailed update when I’m somewhere with heat - the city is cold this morning!

As a more detailed update:

As I mentioned awhile back, the new BrewPi port was actually developed based on lessons learned while trying to fix another project of mine - TiltBridge. Unfortunately for development time, just as this project was spawned by work on TiltBridge, this new port required me to work on new hardware, which in turn made me look at making changes to the existing boards. Additionally, issues I had with getting this project/the new TiltBridge built out made me start working on another new project to help solve those issues, which then needed a new website, which then made me realize that the web server I was using had some serious issues that needed pretty immediate fixes. As a result, what started with me being curious as to whether or not I could fix my primary complaints about TiltBridge has now led to me acquiring a brand new web server with a bunch of steps in between.

That said, the one good thing about all this is that at least the projects all end up about 80% done before I realize that the next one is more pressing. Anyways, here’s where all of those stand:

New BrewPi Port - Works great! There’s one “killer feature” for which I’ve developed the proof of concept, but need to get actually implemented before I release. I’m estimating this is ~1 weekend’s worth of work once I get the time to focus on it (but releasing this project is also dependent on getting the projects below released - especially the new TiltBridge/other new project)

New Project - I’m not ready to announce anything just yet, but this project is almost complete. All that remains is getting the documentation finished and ticking a few security boxes I haven’t ever needed to think about before. Nothing serious, but I’d rather not have to tell people “just trust me” when security warnings pop up if I can avoid it. Hoping to get this released within the next 10 days.

New TiltBridge - Almost done. I need to finish the case, get the logo display working, put some time into debugging Google Sheets (again) and try to see what’s up with SPIFFS - but all of those are pretty minor. Guessing this will be a week or so after the new project is out.

New Webserver - Potentially complete as of last night. Fermentrack.com and TiltBridge.com have been migrated over - all that is left are a handful of other small sites and some infrastructure stuff.

Revised Hardware Designs - As noted above, there is new hardware for the new BrewPi port. When I designed this, one of the changes I made was to bump up the voltage on the OneWire bus from 3v3 to 5v. This should make everything more stable, but interestingly enough it caused two of my temperature probes to stop responding. This makes no sense, and yet it happened. As a result, I’m going to go back and redesign the boards again to allow for selectable OneWire voltage. This hasn’t happened yet, but admittedly needs to happen soon, as the new year freeze is (hopefully) ending soon and PCBs will start flowing again.

I just remove the small pcb from a $2 wall wart shell and hardwire it...

Cheers!
Thanks I’ve gutted all the ones I had kicking about.
I could get some more I guess but the cheap ones (in the UK at least) seem to be glued involving some thumb risking knife work to liberate them.
All the bits (plastic, pins etc) add value so I assumed a ‘bare’ board would have been cheaper.

12v or 5v?

yep 5v sorry. Engaged fingers before brain cells

I guess I've been lucky, the $2 ones I get from eBay that look like this...

713fA6KwrVL._SL1500_.jpg

...have a single screw holding the shell together, then the pcb assembly slides right out.
Glue would cost more ;)

Cheers!

Thanks I’ve gutted all the ones I had kicking about.
I could get some more I guess but the cheap ones (in the UK at least) seem to be glued involving some thumb risking knife work to liberate them.
All the bits (plastic, pins etc) add value so I assumed a ‘bare’ board would have been cheaper.

yep 5v sorry. Engaged fingers before brain cells

I've used these with success: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32900418425.html

Major thanks to @Thorrak and the entire team for developing such an amazing platform!! I really want to love it, but I'm banging my head against the wall with a problem. I can't get Fermentrack to communicate with my Tilt. Here's what I have and what I've done:

Rasperry Pi 3B v1.2
Green Tilt - version 1
I've done a fresh load of Buster with nothing else installed but Fermentrack
I've done a fresh load of Stretch with nothing else installed but Fermentrack
I've found this bugtrack and thread and executed the command:
https://github.com/thorrak/fermentrack/issues/304
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...t-for-raspberry-pi.649303/page-4#post-8403107
I know that the Pi can see the Tilt when I run bluetooth scan.
Fermentrack logs also appear to see the Tilt as well.
I've left the units next to each other over night to see if they'd start working.
I thought maybe I needed to have a running controller, so I flashed an ESP8266 unit.
I've launched test brews and logging
I've re-installed Fermentrack using sudo even though I shouldn't have to

And still can't get this to work. What am I missing here? It's driving me nuts!! I've attached screen shots of the Fermentrack log and the bluetooth scan.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 8.20.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 8.20.18 PM.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 8.22.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 8.22.04 PM.png
    470 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Major thanks to @Thorrak and the entire team for developing such an amazing platform!! I really want to love it, but I'm banging my head against the wall with a problem. I can't get Fermentrack to communicate with my Tilt. Here's what I have and what I've done:

Rasperry Pi 3B v1.2
Green Tilt - version 1
I've done a fresh load of Buster with nothing else installed but Fermentracker
I've done a fresh load of Stretch with nothing else installed but Fermentracker
I've found this bugtrack and thread and executed the command:
https://github.com/thorrak/fermentrack/issues/304
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...t-for-raspberry-pi.649303/page-4#post-8403107
I know that the Pi can see the Tilt when I run bluetooth scan.
Fermentracker logs also appear to see the Tilt as well.
I've left the units next to each other over night to see if they'd start working.
I thought maybe I needed to have a running controller, so I flashed an ESP8266 unit.
I've launched test brews and logging
I've re-installed Fermentracker using sudo even though I shouldn't have to

And still can't get this to work. What am I missing here? It's driving me nuts!! I've attached screen shots of the Fermentracker log and the bluetooth scan.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!
Can you post a screenshot of your configuration settings for the Tilt in Fermentrack?

Can you post a screenshot of your configuration settings for the Tilt in Fermentrack?

No Problem! They are attached. Also, for what it's worth. I installed TiltPi Buster image on a separate SD card. It works without any issue and can talk to my Tilt. Just to test, I also then installed Fermentrack and still can't get it to work with my Tilt.

Thanks again!!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 12.34.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 12.34.02 PM.png
    386 KB · Views: 36
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 12.34.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 12.34.15 PM.png
    434.9 KB · Views: 35
To add even more to my confusion...
I purchased, flashed, and configured a TiltBridge (WAYYYYY Brilliant device by the way!!!). The OLED display on the TiltBridge sees my Green Tilt and shows the correct gravity. In Fermentrack, I still get nothing. Leads me to believe that there something wrong with the way Fermentrack is either logging or displaying data points. I don't think it has anything to do with any bit of hardware I am using. Completely stumped. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

P.S. I started posting in this thread b/c it is linked from the Fermentrack web site. I now realize that there is a dedicated Fermentrack thread and this one appears to be for the ESP devices. Should I stop posting here and start posting over there?

Thanks again!

I'm having a similar issue - except with a Pi4 and a v2 Tilt - it was previously working fine - now nothing seems to be logging to Fermentrack.

I even did a fresh install of Buster (the latest image available) - but still nothing. I'm not seeing any errors in any of the log files - and I've confirmed that the Pi can communicate with the Tilt.

I'm having a similar issue - except with a Pi4 and a v2 Tilt - it was previously working fine - now nothing seems to be logging to Fermentrack.

I even did a fresh install of Buster (the latest image available) - but still nothing. I'm not seeing any errors in any of the log files - and I've confirmed that the Pi can communicate with the Tilt.

From what I can tell, it seems like an application issue / bug or a mis-configuration. The hardware can see and talk with each other. Other applications work without issue. I'm sure @Thorrak or someone smarter than us will chime in and set us in the right direction. Glad to know it's not just me at this point...

From what I can tell, it seems like an application issue / bug or a mis-configuration. The hardware can see and talk with each other. Other applications work without issue. I'm sure @Thorrak or someone smarter than us will chime in and set us in the right direction. Glad to know it's not just me at this point...

Indeed.

When I've got some time I'm going to attempt to add some additional logging to the tilt monitoring code - so I can get an idea about what is, or isn't happening, under the hood.

Apologies - I had a massive new project dropped in my lap at work, and so a chunk of my weekend coding time ended up becoming work-look-at-spreadsheets time. Absolute worst case scenario I will take a look at this over the holiday weekend.

Apologies - I had a massive new project dropped in my lap at work, and so a chunk of my weekend coding time ended up becoming work-look-at-spreadsheets time. Absolute worst case scenario I will take a look at this over the holiday weekend.

No worries - thanks for all the help!

I think I figured out where the issue lies - I've created a PR on the Fermentrack GitHub project that includes the code changes I made to get the Tilt behaving nicely with Fermentrack.

No worries - thanks for all the help!

I think I figured out where the issue lies - I've created a PR on the Fermentrack GitHub project that includes the code changes I made to get the Tilt behaving nicely with Fermentrack.

Ditto to Thorrak! I'm in no rush here and sincerely appreciate all the hard work. TYT.

I may try to incorporate the changes that @Necropolis made if I get a chance. I will report back.

Thanks again to all of you guys!

I have a Tilt, Pi Zero W running Fermentrack and its working beautifully! Geeking out while watching my fermentation proceed. But, I cant watch it outside of my home network. Is there an easy way to do that?

Also, is it possible to get a camera going with it?

I have a Tilt, Pi Zero W running Fermentrack and its working beautifully! Geeking out while watching my fermentation proceed. But, I cant watch it outside of my home network. Is there an easy way to do that?

Also, is it possible to get a camera going with it?

I’m sure there is some way to get a camera going...

For out of network access...follow the directions here: Brewpiremix initial setup help This is a more secure way than port forwarding.

If you plan/want to log into the RPi “backend”, you’ll need to enable VNC in the Pi Configuration.

Hi, I am trying to get going with Fermentrack - I have a few questions!
If I only have one fermenting chamber, what are the pros/cons Fermentrack or Brewpiless?
I read in the documention that Fermentrack could flash Brewpiless to an esp8266, has this been discontinued?
Bought some esp8266 boards, can someone id them? forgot what I ordered...
Thanks!

IMG_8323.JPG

If I only have one fermenting chamber, what are the pros/cons Fermentrack or Brewpiless?
I read in the documention that Fermentrack could flash Brewpiless to an esp8266, has this been discontinued?
Thanks!

View attachment 666197

I can’t speak to pros/cons of Fermentrack vs BPL other than to say that Fermentrack gets you a Pi-hosted solution while BPL is entirely self contained. Fermentrack has more flexibility, but it’s flexibility you might not need for a single chamber. Both are (IMHO) great products, but I’m obviously biased.

The boards that you have are knock-off versions of the LoLin D1 Mini. Some knock offs work great - others have issues. It’s worth trying for your build, but I would use sockets to mount it rather than permanently soldering it into your build just in case. ;)

Thanks!

View attachment 666197

That is a Wemos D1 Mini clone.

I have been running fermentrack for a year. Before this beer I upgraded to the latest version which added some cool estimates with my iSpindel. And out of nowhere my web portal has been throwing me the dreaded 502 bad gateway error. I set up the current logging and temperature control successfully after updating, so I’ve been able to view the web portal just fine. This error started without me running anything on the pi.

I’ve tried reinstalling python 3 with the following:

curl -L install-python3.fermentrack.com | sudo bash

but it tosses me a error “could not resolve host”

I've tried rebooting to no avail.

I’ve tried restarting nginx to no avail.

Any idea what I could do to correct this? I’ve read through the thread and haven’t seen anything that could help. Maybe I’ve missed something though.

Last edited:
@flintoid - two separate (and slightly contradictory) comments for you - I'll break them out inline below - it's up to you which you want to listen to ;)

I have been running fermentrack for a year. Before this beer I upgraded to the latest version which added some cool estimates with my iSpindel. And out of nowhere my web portal has been throwing me the dreaded 502 bad gateway error. I set up the current logging and temperature control successfully after updating, so I’ve been able to view the web portal just fine. This error started without me running anything on the pi.

This sounds like there's a potential issue with the SD card. I would back up the db.sqlite3 file, fermentrack_django/secretsettings.py file, and data folder in your fermentrack directory, and reinstall to a new SD card. So long as you restore all 3 of these to the same place in the new install, your new install of Fermentrack should be able to keep all the settings/data from the old one.

One of the (few) benefits of using sqlite for data storage. ;)

I’ve tried reinstalling python 3 with the following:

curl -L install-python3.fermentrack.com | sudo bash

but it tosses me a error “could not resolve host”

I've tried rebooting to no avail.

I’ve tried restarting nginx to no avail.

Any idea what I could do to correct this? I’ve read through the thread and haven’t seen anything that could help. Maybe I’ve missed something though.

This sounds like there's an issue with the wireless networking configuration on your Pi, completely unrelated to Fermentrack. There are a bunch of potential ways to fix this if you're comfortable with the command line, but it's incredibly difficult to know exactly which issue you're facing at the moment. If you run the ifconfig command you should be able to see if your RPi is connected to the network -- but if you're accessing it via SSH then that sort of answers the question off the bat. Still though - it's worth doing some searching and double-checking your network settings.

I agree the messages indicate a connectivity issue.
What isn't clear is if this happened immediately after the update or some time later, but I'm guessing later based on the iSpindle comments...

Cheers!

I am controlling the pi through SSH so I don’t think it’s connectivity issues.

since this happened during data logging, I bet it’s the SD card as you said.

This did happen post update. I updated the build via the web portal, and then started a new brew control/logging. About 12 days into it, my iSpindel lost power, but I still could access the portal to change the temp. But a day later I was met with this error when I went to dry hop and ramp the temp.

I’ve used this for 40 or so brews. It shocked me that in my brew process, this is what went down. A testament to Fermentrack, it’s been a rock until now.

Last edited:

I'll second that your SD card is probably on its way out.

I used to run the old brewpi-www package on a Pi2 - and it would periodically destroy an SD card - the first indication of something being amiss would be random bits of the OS that worked one day not working the next.

I'd strongly suggest setting up a new SD card.

What sort of power supply are you using?

I'll second that your SD card is probably on its way out.

I used to run the old brewpi-www package on a Pi2 - and it would periodically destroy an SD card - the first indication of something being amiss would be random bits of the OS that worked one day not working the next.

I'd strongly suggest setting up a new SD card.

What sort of power supply are you using?

It's a generic "2 port" USB power supply that I have disassembled and wired to power both the Wemos and the Pi Zero W. I was even wondering if having high voltage in the same box as the pi zero could have an affect on the magnetic flash card. This box has never turned off in the year+ that I've been running it.

Either way, I'll be doing a new fermentrack build on a new card.

Is anyone else having a problem with values not displaying in the web interface? Any ideas on how to fix this?
3ABA488A-3C35-4C76-B4C2-37BC06F11A9E.png

Is anyone else having a problem with values not displaying in the web interface? Any ideas on how to fix this?
View attachment 666489
Actually, you just reminded me of a comment @LBussy made awhile back —

Does your phone happen to not have an internet connection when you are looking at your Fermentrack install?

Back