Native ESP8266 BrewPi Firmware - WiFi BrewPi, no Arduino needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just installed brewpi on my pi and the flashing to the esp8266 went ok.
I get a new wireless network showing up called ESP_08147E , but if I reset the esp8266 that network only shows up for about 1 minute and it goes away.
While it is there I am not able to connect to it.. to set the wifi

What am I doing wrong
Jerrydfl

I get a new wireless network showing up called ESP_08147E , but if I reset the esp8266 that network only shows up for about 1 minute and it goes away.

What am I doing wrong
Jerrydfl
What version of BrewPi are you trying to set up?

The blue square on the back of the display
51k8HEbEpKL._SX342_.jpg
That dial doesn't move very far, and only seems to adjust contrast

I don't have an adjustable resistor.

I swapped the SCA and SCL but there was no difference. Is there a way to update the firmware of the LCD
Edit: Nevermind, if you have the resistor, you probably have the right screen.

Try flashing the test firmware to your board, and see if it works. If it doesn't, it's possible you have a faulty screen or faulty i2c backpack.

What am I doing wrong
Jerrydfl

Assuming you're using Fermentrack, try flashing the Wiring Test firmware and make sure everything is wired correctly. That firmware has the added benefit of wiping out any errant WiFi settings that may be on the ESP8266, and initializing the flash storage (which will prevent issues later on).

Then, re-flash the BrewPi firmware, and connect to the AP/finish the configuration. Should be good to go.

Is the blue dial on the back for contrast or a resistor?

If it does work, not overly worried as I'll use my phone or computer to check stuff

I use 20x4 I2C LCD that look like this from the back:
F74CWEWJ2QEZWB1.LARGE.jpg

The pot is for contrast - if you see white blocks on power up adjusting the pot should turn that into text.
Otoh, if you don't see even blocks, make sure you're not missing the two pin header cap shown in the pic. That jumper shunts one of the expander outputs to the backlight; removing the jumper allows controlling the backlight by other means, but in our case you want the jumper in place...

Cheers!

And I should point out something important just in case it's not obvious: The LCD has some of it's own "brains" so when you make changes expecting different things to happen, you need to power-cycle the controller.

No there's no way to flash the LCD firmware.

I'm gonna ask a stupid question: You are using the ESP8266 right? Because the Arduino firmware to support I2C LCD is not yet released (it's coded, just not ready to release - 2 weeks maybe?).

To run old school Brewpi with Strech is a pia- LBussy made it easy with his new Remix program. RPI and UNO R 3
Thorrak created the newer improved version of BrewPi with Fermentrack. RPI and ESP8266 D1 mini
Pocketman created BrewPi Less which runs on an ESP8266 D1 mini
Assuming you're using Fermentrack, try flashing the Wiring Test firmware and make sure everything is wired correctly. That firmware has the added benefit of wiping out any errant WiFi settings that may be on the ESP8266, and initializing the flash storage (which will prevent issues later on).

Then, re-flash the BrewPi firmware, and connect to the AP/finish the configuration. Should be good to go.

I am using Fermentrack. I did try to flash the Wiring Test firmware and got same error as soon as I click on "Flash to Device" which is ....
"" TypeError at /firmware/flash/6/
_init_() got an unexpected keyword argument 'max_errors'
Request Method: POST
Request URL: http://192.168.0.17/firmware/flash/6/
Django Version: 1.11.20
Exception Type: TypeError
Exception Value:
__init__() got an unexpected keyword argument 'max_errors'
Exception Location: /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/redis/connection.py in make_connection, line 1025
Python Executable: /home/fermentrack/venv/bin/python3
Python Version: 3.5.3
Python Path:
['/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/git/ext/gitdb',
'/home/fermentrack/venv/bin',
'/home/fermentrack/fermentrack',
'/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages',
'/usr/lib/python35.zip',
'/usr/lib/python3.5',
'/usr/lib/python3.5/plat-arm-linux-gnueabihf',
'/usr/lib/python3.5/lib-dynload',
'.',
'/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/gitdb/ext/smmap']
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am running newest version of Stretch on the 3b Pi.
I have the USB connection between the Pi and esp8266 when I flash.
I have tried another 3b Pi.
I have tried another D1 mini esp8266.
My wiring is....
I only have +5 volts and ground to the D1 mini.

I CAN flash and run successfully a test program that has 2 leds that I can change from a web browser using the Ardunio IDE program. So I know both of my D1 mini are OK.

I also CANNOT install the old brewpi software as that wont flash either.

How can I tell what version of BrewPi I trying t run. Remember I can't run it, as I am not able to connect to the esp8266.
There are a few flavors of BrewPi
1: Old School BrewPi that runs with an RPI and Arduino Uno R3. This will not run on an ESP8266 - LBussy has updated the code to run on the newer version of raspbian
2: BrewPiLess which runs on an ESP 8266 D1mini and doesn't need an RPI
3: Fermentrack is an updated modern version of BrewPi that runs on your choice of an RPI + Arduino Uno R3 or RPI + ESP8266 D1 mini.
You seem to be having issues with the ESP8266- search this thread there is a procedure to wipe it clean and back to factory specs. Good luck

I am using Fermentrack. I did try to flash the Wiring Test firmware and got same error as soon as I click on "Flash to Device" which is ....
"" TypeError at /firmware/flash/6/
_init_() got an unexpected keyword argument 'max_errors'
Request Method: POST
Request URL: http://192.168.0.17/firmware/flash/6/
Django Version: 1.11.20
Exception Type: TypeError
Exception Value:
__init__() got an unexpected keyword argument 'max_errors'
Exception Location: /home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/redis/connection.py in make_connection, line 1025
Python Executable: /home/fermentrack/venv/bin/python3
Python Version: 3.5.3
Python Path:
['/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/git/ext/gitdb',
'/home/fermentrack/venv/bin',
'/home/fermentrack/fermentrack',
'/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages',
'/usr/lib/python35.zip',
'/usr/lib/python3.5',
'/usr/lib/python3.5/plat-arm-linux-gnueabihf',
'/usr/lib/python3.5/lib-dynload',
'.',
'/home/fermentrack/venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/gitdb/ext/smmap']
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am running newest version of Stretch on the 3b Pi.
I have the USB connection between the Pi and esp8266 when I flash.
I have tried another 3b Pi.
I have tried another D1 mini esp8266.
My wiring is....
I only have +5 volts and ground to the D1 mini.

I CAN flash and run successfully a test program that has 2 leds that I can change from a web browser using the Ardunio IDE program. So I know both of my D1 mini are OK.

I also CANNOT install the old brewpi software as that wont flash either.

Did you happen to disable Sentry support? I'm not seeing that error hit Sentry, interestingly enough.

Regardless, apparently one of the packages Fermentrack relies on for flash support released a new version which introduces a number of incompatible changes. I've locked to the old version until I can get everything updated. You'll need to update your copy of Fermentrack to make use of the changes, however.

Using an ESP. Currently in the process of mounting it in a box (as it all works without the screen). Once its together again I'll try a few different things with the rear dial.

Did you happen to disable Sentry support? I'm not seeing that error hit Sentry, interestingly enough.

Regardless, apparently one of the packages Fermentrack relies on for flash support released a new version which introduces a number of incompatible changes. I've locked to the old version until I can get everything updated. You'll need to update your copy of Fermentrack to make use of the changes, however.

Ok Thorrak,
I started from scratch. I reloaded the raspberry pi again with the current operation system (Strecth).
I typed in " curl -L install.fermentrack.com | sudo bash on the pi. After it finished normally I
Opened up 192.168.0.2 in my windows chrome browser and got into Fermentrack I then set up my username password. Made a change to the app config to add my brewery name.
Then ... Select Device to Control.... Flash Device...
Device family was ESP8266...Submit...
Select board type (NoneMCU (ESP-12E).... Submit...
Scan Devices....
PLUGGED IN USB CABLE TO PI......
Scan for New Devices... Came back with /dev/ttyUSBO USB2.0-Serial 29987 6790 Unknown.. then Setup....
I then hit FLASH TO DEVICE on the BrewPi /w WiFi entry....
For a split second I see at the bottom of the screen "WAITING FOR 192.168.0.2
Then right away I get the TYPE ERROR at /firmware/flash/6/ error.
I tried all the ones on that screen even the
WiFi Reset & Sensor/Wiring Test,
ALL THE SAME ERROR immediately
Again the same error occurs with a different pi and a different esp8266.
What am I doing wrong.
The esp8266 D1 mini has only ground and +5 volts going to it no other pins are connected.
Jerrydfl

Now you see the then you don't. Relocated my BrewPi/fermentrack esp8266 setup from development lab(ie basement) to the brewery. Got the Pi and esp8266 talking to the new network. Had sensor readings but then lost them. Check and tightened all contact. Verified continuity between where I had the one wire sensors wired to a cat5 cable all the way to corresponding points for the 3.3v, gnd and data on @Thorrak's RJ45 PCB board beyond the jack all good. I had intermittent signals before the checking and tightening now nothing. Ideas?

Bye the way @LBussy you were right the Remot3.it connecting never missed a beat with the move.

Now you see the them you don't. Relocated my BrewPi/fermentrack esp8266 ..........I had intermittent signals before the checking and tightening now nothing. Ideas?

Nevermind. Turns out you can have communication by WiFi with the esp8266 but not enough to capture sensor signals. I guess the "check signal strength" recommendation is more than a yes or no but is it strong enough.

Never mind the nevermind. Sensors being weird. They showed up again only to disappear before I could assign them. At this point i have to brew so doing a work around to get a batch going.

Never mind the nevermind. Sensors being weird. They showed up again only to disappear before I could assign them. At this point i have to brew so doing a work around to get a batch going.

Not certain how you have everything connected, but I had a similar issue where my sensors dropped. Ended up being the ground solder where my RJ45 Jack/PCB meet. I had to run continuity tests on my PCB/RJ45 Jack to identify the issue.

Not certain how you have everything connected, but I had a similar issue where my sensors dropped. Ended up being the ground solder where my RJ45 Jack/PCB meet. I had to run continuity tests on my PCB/RJ45 Jack to identify the issue.
Thank you. Although I thought I had checked all the continuities through to the PCB. Your post, @garzlok gave me an idea. I jumpered straight from where the sensors gather to the com on the power supply and, voila!

@Thorrak 's RJ45 board. I just now trying another one with the 10K resister on it instead of the 4.7K

Did you try the RJ45 Jack itself? I found my problem by putting a lead on the internal connectors of the RJ45 Jack (where the Ethernet cable touches) and the other lead on the corresponding contact on the PCB.

In my case, my Ground made an intermittent tone, which of course is an intermittent connection. Resoldered my RJ45 to PCB ground connection...no more dropped sensors.

All of my intermittent probe issues have been from a cruddy power supply. Yours may not be, but check that. You shouldn't be getting any drops.

Not that I know of. It's coming, soon-ish - after Brewers Friend support. Probably within the next ~3 weeks

Awesome! I will hold tight but very excited about having my data attached to my brew logs. I’ll hang tight.

So far so good about 40 minutes. A few momentary drops but recovers. Let's see how it does before calling it a success.

Well it lasted for about an hour and it is still out.
upload_2019-4-22_13-28-20.png

Any suggestion on how to capture if PSU is dropping out intermittently? I'm using a multi voltage RT-50D from MeanWell with the 24v opening a ball valve on cooling without heating SSR hooked up.

For what its worth, I went ahead and made this.

I originally tested a Wemos D1 Pro and 1 DS18B20 and the LCD on a 15,000 mAh battery pack and it lasted about 3.5 days.

After researching this a bit, what made most sense / was easiest was to add another Wemos D1 Pro into the mix and utilize the ESP Deep sleep functionality. Now I have a Wemos D1 Pro that is on all the time, but only 'awake' for 2 minutes every 20 minutes. In the 2 minutes, it uses a TIP120 to keep the original BrewPi Wemos D1 on, take a few readings and then it gets powered off when the first Wemos D1 goes to sleep. It works great!

Testing Setup

IMG_20190414_211658045.jpg

Threw it all in a 'waterproof' case.
For an improvement I'm going to add a button to the case to wake it up so someone walking by can check the temperature. The brown stuff is, yes, cardboard. The black thing is the 15000 mah battery pack, seems like it's way overkill. We'll see how it holds up.

IMG_20190419_235040586.jpg

IMG_20190419_235642902.jpg

IMG_20190419_235612144.jpg

I had my ESP out today back onto a breadboard to try and work out the screen issue. Whilst on the breadboard it works perfectly back onto the breakout board (not this one). I have all resistors in place but nothing in Q1 or Q2, what should be in that place and the orientation of said piece, dont know how I missed that last time.
20190424_192651.jpg

Q1/2 is the BSS138 MOSFET and being three terminals, there's only one orientation in which you can install it (and have all three connected anyway.)
SOT_323_3_t.jpg
Sweet, some on order, should be here Monday.

Is the capacitor 100uf (unsure what voltage) required, I'm now struggling to find some unless I order a heap of them

Latest posts

Back