Native ESP8266 BrewPi Firmware - WiFi BrewPi, no Arduino needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone provide me with a link where i can see the color codes, and what code i need to use for specific colors to change the layout in my fermentor chart?

Assuming you're looking for input to modify a css or html file, you can use something like this to find the hex RGB values for pretty much any color...

Cheers!

If you find a color set you like, yell. I'm not necessarily enthralled with the defaults at the moment!

Just a quick note - to others who might expirience trouble with sluggish network prerformence, missing update of "LCD" display on Fermentrack (Pi) - my system has run flawless for several months now. This weekend, all of a sudden, I had tons of problems with vmos not being able to connect to the Pi.

I almoust went to the point of reinstalling the complete system on a new mem-card, since that whas my initial toughts (I had already swapped the original PSU who comes with the Pi KIT - and tested two official PSU (brand new ones)-

I decided to power the pi from my mac USB, and voila, everything went back online and has worked flawless since saturday.
PSU - seems to be so critical for the pi itself, to work 100% -

Since there is nothing connected to the pi - I have tought of moving the fermentrack to a virtual PC or something.

Have any of you guys tried this with success? I did download the "Desktop" Jessie last-night. Planned to test it on VirtualBox - but if anybody has tried something else - who has turned out functional - I`d be happy get som guidens in the matter.

stbernts, I run fermentrack under Debian Jessie without any problems, It has been a while since I did the installation but I think that it should work just as is. Let me know if you have any problems and I can update the installation-scripts.

stbernts, I run fermentrack under Debian Jessie without any problems, It has been a while since I did the installation but I think that it should work just as is. Let me know if you have any problems and I can update the installation-scripts.

Normal debian 32 bits distro?

If you find a color set you like, yell. I'm not necessarily enthralled with the defaults at the moment!

I do not know if you have tried them, but the actual line colors from brewpi is pretty nice as is :)

Does this software provide PID and PWM together? I need PID for temp control, normal power on/off for the cooling and PWM for the heating element only as my fermentation heater is too powerful on full blast.

Does this software provide PID and PWM together? I need PID for temp control, normal power on/off for the cooling and PWM for the heating element only as my fermentation heater is too powerful on full blast.

Not the currently released version, unfortunately.

I think you'd need something from the non-legacy branch which would limit you (currently) to the Spark firmware.

Any idea what could be causing (or rather how to get rid of) this error View attachment 413996 oddly it only happens on my iPhone and in safari.

It doesn’t seem to affect anything other than just being there.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh.......

Have you tried clicking the "x" over to the right (and does it come back when you do)?

Uhhhhhhhhhhh.......

Have you tried clicking the "x" over to the right (and does it come back when you do)?

Yeah click the x it disappears, but when I close Safari and reopen it does the same thing, it's not there when I view the dashboard.

seems to purely be aesthetic.

It started happening when it started dropping out and i deleted the wemos and reinstalled.

Updates:

Work continues on adding gravity sensor support to Fermentrack -- but there isn't much to show for it just yet. I've spent quite a bit of time over the past few weeks playing with ideas of how gravity sensor support could work, but finally think I know how to get everything stitched together.

Although work on Fermentrack up until now has focused on BrewPi support, the goal for specific gravity sensor support is to have the sensors be a top-level device -- similar to how BrewPi controllers are now. What this means is that it will be possible to use Fermentrack to track/log/control specific gravity sensors even if you don't have a BrewPi controller built/available. When you set up a specific gravity sensor within Fermentrack a separate script from that which tracks BrewPi temperatures will launch, and separate log files will be written out.

That said, implementing specific gravity sensors in this way means that the SG data won't be available to brewpi-script when writing out its log files which is a problem for people who would like to track SG alongside the rest of their fermentation data. Initially I wanted to just write out the latest log entry to a file which brewpi-script could read, but after thinking about it I figured this would unnecessarily generate a number of writes to the SD card, which could potentially result in it dying sooner than it otherwise would. Having had to recover dead Raspberry Pis in the past I'd rather avoid this if possible.

The solution I ultimately settled on is a third party program called 'memcached'. As the script that monitors the Tilt (or another SG sensor) receives SG data back it will store the latest data point in memcached. As brewpi-script writes data points out to a file, it will read whatever the latest data point is from memcached and store that alongside the BrewPi-driven temperature data. Added bonus - because memcached stores everything in memory, it won't prematurely kill the SD card. Benefits!

Here's how all that looks in flowchart form:

Fermentrack Gravity.png

The only drawback to all this is that - for current users of Fermentrack - the upgrade to add specific gravity sensor support unfortunately won't be seamless. When it's released, you'll need to log into your Raspberry Pi and run a command as root to install memcached (and a handful of other Python packages which can't be installed via PyPi). Should be a pretty simple fix, when the time comes!

Yes I’ll admit I actually get the csv and load it into excel to play with so having the SG next to the other data would be better than having to go to a number of places and match it up. Is the aim to have the temp profile set by the SG still?

Does anyone use Fermentrack on a Glycol system and if so, how did you set it up?

I noticed this message by @pocketmon where he mentions some changes on BrewPiLess to get it working but is there a way to do it with Fermentrack?

Yes I’ll admit I actually get the csv and load it into excel to play with so having the SG next to the other data would be better than having to go to a number of places and match it up. Is the aim to have the temp profile set by the SG still?

Yep. Shooting for three modes at the moment:

• Traditional, time based profiles
  • "Smart" ramping profiles (IE - Cold crash from the current beer temp to 32 deg at a rate of 0.5 deg/hour)
  • Gravity profiles

The gravity-based profiles are going to be a ways off, however. I need to get a few brews done with gravity logging support in so as to be able to have something to test against.

Thought this video might be of interest to the group. NSFW bad words
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftJ17Cp6itw

Dear god. 10 minutes later, the conclusion is that "Chinesium" relays conduct "electrocity" probably as well as the Omron ones do for most purposes.

THAT SAID - As much fun as I want to make of the guy, thanks for linking this. This actually was an interesting skim. I always wondered about the difference in relay brands when buying from AliExpress and this does provide a good look into that. Always good to have some additional comfort that these things won't create too many issues (so long as they aren't over volted!)

Does anyone use Fermentrack on a Glycol system and if so, how did you set it up?

I noticed this message by @pocketmon where he mentions some changes on BrewPiLess to get it working but is there a way to do it with Fermentrack?

Apologies for the delayed response; I just now realized that the response I wrote out earlier didn't end up getting submitted. Sorry about that!

The short answer to your question is: Possibly (probably?) but it isn't necessarily optimized for one -- yet.

@pocketmon is awesome, and pinged me about the updates he made to enable glycol support awhile back. Unfortunately, I've not had a chance yet to go in and create a version of the firmware that includes his changes. I do intend to release a version with them - I just haven't been able to do it yet.

Once the firmware is finished, it will be an option in the Fermentrack firmware flasher & can be pulled/flashed from there.

Apologies for the delayed response; I just now realized that the response I wrote out earlier didn't end up getting submitted. Sorry about that!

The short answer to your question is: Possibly (probably?) but it isn't necessarily optimized for one -- yet.

@pocketmon is awesome, and pinged me about the updates he made to enable glycol support awhile back. Unfortunately, I've not had a chance yet to go in and create a version of the firmware that includes his changes. I do intend to release a version with them - I just haven't been able to do it yet.

Once the firmware is finished, it will be an option in the Fermentrack firmware flasher & can be pulled/flashed from there.

No worries. I've been following this and the BrewpiLess project and figured I'd just build the system and get it working one way or another. I finally got the hardware build and I ran my first batch last week with BrewPiLess controlling the cooling pump and it worked like a charm. I'll keep an eye out here and whenever you get a chance to implement the glycol changes I'll give it a try.

Thanks!

but you will continue your work with the tilt as well?

Yep. Current plan is manual "sensor" (see: typing readings in) support first, Tilt second, iSpindel third.

After that, if anyone knows of any other gravity sensors with available APIs (ie - unfortunately not sensorshare's BrewBug/BrewPerfect) let me know. I'd rather people be able to use their tools with Fermentrack than be locked out.

Quick question about the relays in this setup.

Been following along, slowly assembling parts etc. I've got fermentrack running (in Docker, more on that later) and talking to an ESP8266. LCD display is wired and working, same for the temp probes.

I have the relay wired up with the 4 wires (+5, 2 control, gnd) and the voltmeter says I have 4.9V running to the relay.
The jumper on the relay is set to JD-VOC/VOC and I've got 5v on that jumper.
There is no AC on the relay yet.

Question: I'm not hearing the relay click. Should I be hearing the relay click as I change the the temp in fermentrack (fridge constant)?

Thanks for all the work!

There should be an LED for each channel on the relay that lights up when the relay is on.

Another quick update:

Awhile back, I decided that I hated crimping RJ-11 heads on cables and designed a sensor "breakout board" that handled everything for me. Unfortunately, I ended up wiring it to require a straight cable whereas most phone cables are crossover. Not a problem - I can just recrimp the end of the cable, but yeah - kind of defeats the purpose.

I went ahead and fixed that issue today.

This new PCB design allows you to run a single regular phone cable from your BrewPi box to the breakout board which then has screw terminals for your DS18b20 (and door!) sensors.

My first order of this design is in - I'll report back in a few weeks if it ends up working out.

Another weekend, another update:

I spent a chunk of time this weekend working through more of the specific gravity support, but it feels like every feature I complete, I realize that I'm missing two more. Still though -- progress is being made!

The code behind the scenes to track current gravity & (eventually) communicate back to BrewPiDevices exists, and can be leveraged to drive the list of available specific gravity sensors:

Screenshot 2017-10-23 00.02.04.jpg

Separately, I'm also working on the gravity sensor "dashboard" to allow the devices to run completely independently of any BrewPiDevices:

Screenshot 2017-10-23 00.01.50.png

Admittedly, there's not much to look at for the time being, but it's slowly getting where it needs to be.

To make it easier to track progress, I've gone ahead and broken out specific gravity sensor support into its own milestone on GitHub -- with a handful of "stub" issues for the time being. I'm hoping this will help to keep things organized as support gets closer!

One other thing. I ended up deciding to switch from memcached to Redis for caching info coming in from the sensors.

This shouldn't impact anyone really, but I figured I'd mention it given the diagram I posted earlier.

I just got a new Pi 3, trying to install on the latest Raspbian (STRETCH LITE September 2017).

using the automated installer I see this error message during the install

Code:
::: Copying nginx configuration to /etc/nginx and activating.
sed: can't read /home/fermentrack/fermentrack-tools/nginx-configs/default-fermentrack: No such file or directory
::: Running updateCronCircus.sh from the script repo
Checking and fixing cron entries for Fermentrack
::: Starting circus process monitor.
Starting Fermentrack supervisor: circusd: /home/fermentrack/fermentrack/utils/updateCronCircus.sh: line 36: /home/fermentrack/venv/bin/circusd: No such file or directory
failed, please see logfile.

there is no /home/fermentrack/fermentrack-tools/ directory, but there is a ~/fermentrack-tools directory

I just got a new Pi 3, trying to install on the latest Raspbian (STRETCH LITE September 2017).

using the automated installer I see this error message during the install

Code:
::: Copying nginx configuration to /etc/nginx and activating.
sed: can't read /home/fermentrack/fermentrack-tools/nginx-configs/default-fermentrack: No such file or directory
::: Running updateCronCircus.sh from the script repo
Checking and fixing cron entries for Fermentrack
::: Starting circus process monitor.
Starting Fermentrack supervisor: circusd: /home/fermentrack/fermentrack/utils/updateCronCircus.sh: line 36: /home/fermentrack/venv/bin/circusd: No such file or directory
failed, please see logfile.

there is no /home/fermentrack/fermentrack-tools/ directory, but there is a ~/fermentrack-tools directory

That's very odd. The installation script should - for file paths - auto-detect where things are actually installed rather than where things should be installed. I'll have to do a test with Stretch this weekend and see if I can recreate this. Thanks for the heads up!

Tracking this as:
https://github.com/thorrak/fermentrack/issues/208

On a semi-related note, I got my updated Tilt in the mail this weekend, so I should be able to test both the old & new hardware as well as multi-Tilt setups (once Tilt support is ready to go). Now, to get to that point!

IMG_6446.jpg

That's very odd. The installation script should - for file paths - auto-detect where things are actually installed rather than where things should be installed. I'll have to do a test with Stretch this weekend and see if I can recreate this. Thanks for the heads up!

Tracking this as:
https://github.com/thorrak/fermentrack/issues/208
I just tried installing on a Pi Zero W running Stretch Lite and had the same error. Is there a way to manually install circusd?

I just tried installing on a Pi Zero W running Stretch Lite and had the same error. Is there a way to manually install circusd?

It seems like a file path error rather than necessarily a Circus one. I've got a Pi/SD card sitting on my desk at home for testing this tonight. I should hopefully have an answer here later this evening.

Latest posts

Back