Native ESP8266 BrewPi Firmware - WiFi BrewPi, no Arduino needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LCD's seem to be where people have issues if they are going to have them.

I do have a question about LCD's ... never used one (yet). I notice there is a little circuit board on your bread board. Is this for the LCD? And/or can you recommend a screen for this purpose?

What's the (what looks like) RJ-11 connector on your board?

LCD's seem to be where people have issues if they are going to have them.

I do have a question about LCD's ... never used one (yet). I notice there is a little circuit board on your bread board. Is this for the LCD? And/or can you recommend a screen for this purpose?

What's the (what looks like) RJ-11 connector on your board?

Yeah - apparently there are two types of backlighting with the LCD2004 boards - electroluminescent and LED. The EL backlights take 200-300mA, the LED take 50-100mA. Of course - manufacturers don't specify which one their board uses, so you're stuck guessing. Regardless, I figure if I bump the power supply up to 2A I should be set regardless. I'd rather spend the extra $0.50 up front and be set in all use cases than spend another $2 later on (and - more importantly - be stuck waiting on a slow boat from China to bring it across).

The LCD screen I'm using is one of these:

AliExpress - $4.50
Amazon - $9.39

It works great, but it uses 5v for the SDA and SCL lines. The ESP8266 by contrast uses 3.3v. The solution to that is thankfully an easy one given that the NodeMCU boards use/provide both levels, but it requires a small bit of additional hardware. Thankfully, bi-directional logic converters are dirt cheap (and one of these is what you see in my photo):

AliExpress - $0.83
Amazon - $5.99 (there are cheaper without prime)

The RJ-11 jack you see is how I hook up my OneWire temperature sensors. OneWire sensors can be wired in parallel, which means that you can use one (or more!) of these to hook up as many sensors as you need to a single jack. I'll post a better schematic later showing exactly how I have everything wired, but despite the difficulty adding tails to the temperature sensors, I'm a pretty big fan of RJ-11.

Last edited by a moderator:
RJ-11 FTW!

Once you have all of your sensors wired to RJ-11 pigtails then it's truly plug-and-play. You can use phone splitters like that to make a "local" 1-wire network very easily. Plus, standardising on this connector lets you move sensors around and swap them between different devices for testing (e.g. move to another Pi, or an Arduino).

My beer sensor has a 3.5mm stereo plug on it because that one has to go through a hole in the vessel lid. So I have a 3.5mm stereo socket connected to an RJ-11 plug for an adapter.

I figure if I bump the power supply up to 2A I should be set regardless. I'd rather spend the extra $0.50 up front and be set in all use cases than spend another $2 later on (and - more importantly - be stuck waiting on a slow boat from China to bring it across).
I bought the 2.5A power supplies with my Pi 3's. I figured the same - easier to get it now than later.

The LCD screen I'm using is one of these:
Would it be easier to get a 3.3v display up front? A quick search shows a few out there but it looks like they are not all that hard to find. I did not find any right offhand on Aliexpress but I'm sure they are there:

http://www.dfrobot.com/wiki/index.p..._(Arduino/Gadgeteer_Compatible)_(SKU:DFR0154)

It would be one less "thing" to need to build in there.

The RJ-11 jack you see is how I hook up my OneWire temperature sensors.
RJ-11 FTW!
Okay you talked me into it ... I was trying to figure something out for that. :)

So the one-wire we talked about in the other thread. Seems like the DS2408S is the chipset that provides the 1-wire expansion. I've not seen many relay boards out there. There are some nice DIN mounted 8-relay models for ~$75 (nice for e-brewery maybe). The least expensive I have seen otherwise is this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-DS...324260?hash=item2a495af564:g:AA4AAOSwY45UP8iK

All seem to be 8-channel.

If a person went the route of creating their own circuit (now you're getting in deep) all of the IO could be moved to 1-Wire. It would be nice from a modularity standpoint I suppose.

First off I'd just like to say this is an awesome project and really well documented and thank you.

However I'm having problems with flashing the ESP8266's. I just started building a BrewPi from a Raspberry Pi 3 and using some ESP8266's that I purchased of Amazon.ca. Had everything pretty much working then went to do a few more adjustments and messed it all up. So figured I'd just redo and start from scratch again. Reinstalled Raspbian, BrewPi and reflashed the ESP8266's. Now when I try to connect to the ESP8266's I cannot see the SSID when looking for wireless networks. I have 3 separate ESP8266's. One never showed it's SSID the other 2 did after the first flash but after a second flash, nothing. Anyone else ever run into this? These are the ESP8266's that I purchased.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01F5ALLFM/ref=pe_386430_200185350_TE_item

Flashing using the command line appears to be successful.

brewpi@raspberrypi:~/esp8266$ sudo esptool.py --port /dev/ttyUSB0 write_flash -fm=dio -fs=32m 0x00000 /home/brewpi/esp8266/bin/brewpi-esp8266.v0.2.wifi.bin
esptool.py v1.1
Connecting...
Running Cesanta flasher stub...
Flash params set to 0x0240
Writing 344064 @ 0x0... 344064 (100 %)
Wrote 344064 bytes at 0x0 in 30.0 seconds (91.9 kbit/s)...
Leaving...
brewpi@raspberrypi:~/esp8266$

Last edited by a moderator:
This is actually expected behavior. The WiFi credentials are saved through flashes, so when you reflash the chip it still remembers what network to connect to and connects automatically. You have two options for how to fix this.

The first is to get a tool to list mDNS devices on your network. There should be a tutorial on this out there somewhere -- I'll try to post one later when I'm not posting from my phone. Alternatively, if you wrote down the AP name you used for initial setup, you can reuse it - it should work.

Second, you can reflash with the Serial firmware and use the super secret command I added to reset the wifi configuration. To do this, use the instructions to flash the serial firmware and connect via screen. Once you've connected, type a 'w' and hit enter. The wifi will disconnect and it will reenter AP mode on next launch.

Wemos now has a relay shield available:

It uses GPIO5 (D1) but I guess a guy could scratch and sniff his way to making it use different pins. It's $2.10 on AliExpress.

There's also a motor control board capable of switching 3.2A peak so maybe to control a couple SCR's. It uses I2C however:

It might be just as easy to get one of the proto-shields and use a couple optical couplers to drive SCR's:

$0.99 each on AliExpress.

Anyone getting close to putting this in "production?"

Wemos now has a relay shield available:

There's also a motor control board capable of switching 3.2A peak so maybe to control a couple SCR's. It uses I2C however:

It might be just as easy to get one of the proto-shields and use a couple optical couplers to drive SCR's:

Anyone getting close to putting this in "production?"

Something I'm working on at the moment is actually building a WeMos shield for BrewPi. One version basically would just replicate the wiring for RJ-11 OneWire + relay + 5V in, the other would actually have the relays integrated as well as level shifter. Right now the simpler one costs $5.20 for at least 4. Add the screw terminal, pin headers, etc. and you're looking at ~$2/ea.

Once I get the larger, integrated board built that will become my permanent installation. For now, it still lives on a breadboard.

I have a need to actually do a live fermenter in the garage right now so I think I'm going to go with the Arduino ... plus I have a case for that already (3-d printed one) to keep everything safe. Once I get the batch done I can go to messing about again and I'll likely come back to this.

I did leave this with some better ideas about how I want to do the basic setups though, like using the phone jacks.

Where did you find the breadboard RJ12 connector? The only one I have found is ridiculously priced.

I have a need to actually do a live fermenter in the garage right now so I think I'm going to go with the Arduino ... plus I have a case for that already (3-d printed one) to keep everything safe. Once I get the batch done I can go to messing about again and I'll likely come back to this.

I did leave this with some better ideas about how I want to do the basic setups though, like using the phone jacks.

Where did you find the breadboard RJ12 connector? The only one I have found is ridiculously priced.

I'll write a thread about my current "production" build later this week, but it's based on a different (cough) project. My ESP8266 build was a complement to that one (and more importantly, was started afterwards) which is why it is on a breadboard and controls my serving fridge. Soon, though! My goal is for it to power the second chamber in my fermentation chamber.

The RJ-12 breakout was ridiculously priced, and available on eBay. I'll make a cheap one tonight and will post a link. You'll need to solder it together (and order the jacks off AliExpress) but the net cost shipped for 4 will be less than what I paid for 1.

This is actually expected behavior. The WiFi credentials are saved through flashes, so when you reflash the chip it still remembers what network to connect to and connects automatically. You have two options for how to fix this.

The first is to get a tool to list mDNS devices on your network. There should be a tutorial on this out there somewhere -- I'll try to post one later when I'm not posting from my phone. Alternatively, if you wrote down the AP name you used for initial setup, you can reuse it - it should work.

Second, you can reflash with the Serial firmware and use the super secret command I added to reset the wifi configuration. To do this, use the instructions to flash the serial firmware and connect via screen. Once you've connected, type a 'w' and hit enter. The wifi will disconnect and it will reenter AP mode on next launch.

Any chance of getting the syntax for a full flash ... and the super secret
password or pointed to a general area with the information I did a bit of search but couldn't find anything. Sorry for being so lame.

Any chance of getting the syntax for a full flash ... and the super secret password?

I don't believe there is a syntax that also overwrites spiffs/eeprom data (but I could be completely wrong! I'm not an expert on the flash commands!) unfortunately. As far as "super secret password" -- it's the 'w' that you can send to the controller over serial. Basically, I added a new command to the BrewPi firmware (vs. the Arduino version) that explicitly resets WiFi credentials.

Alternatively, now that I think about it, what I should do/have done is create a version of the firmware called "force reset" which does nothing but reset the WiFi credentials and then blink the LED annoyingly. Project for tonight!

Managed to get the esp8266 back online. wasn't able to figure out the "w" reset but managed to figure out the wifiHost name. Thank you for the assistance.

Is it possible to have more than one esp8266 connected at a time? The config file doesn't like two wifiHost lines.

Managed to get the esp8266 back online. wasn't able to figure out the "w" reset but managed to figure out the wifiHost name. Thank you for the assistance.

Is it possible to have more than one esp8266 connected at a time? The config file doesn't like two wifiHost lines.

Glad to hear it, and sorry about that. I'm a bit behind at the moment so the reset firmware will probably come on Wednesday -- but it is coming in case anyone else needs it.

You just discovered one of the key limitations of BrewPi unfortunately. As it currently stands (per my understanding - please let me know if I'm wrong about this!) each BrewPi installation only supports a single "chamber". That said, nothing is stopping you from installing BrewPi on a single Raspberry Pi multiple times (but the setup script won't do it by default).

Thanks.

Unfortunately I'm having some other issues. Seems I can't install any devices. When I hit the apply button on the discovered devices I get the following in the stderr.log file ...

Aug 08 2016 21:49:34 Checking software version on controller...
Aug 08 2016 21:54:17 Opening serial port
Aug 08 2016 21:54:27 No serial attached BrewPi found. Trying TCP serial (WiFi)
Aug 08 2016 21:54:27 Connecting to BrewPi ESP14614494.local on port 23
Aug 08 2016 21:54:28 Notification: Script started for beer 'My First BrewPi Run'
Aug 08 2016 21:54:38 Checking software version on controller...
Aug 08 2016 21:54:38 Found BrewPi v0.2.4, running commit 00000000, running on an ESP ESP8266 on port ESP14614494.local:23

Aug 08 2016 21:54:38 Warning: minimum BrewPi version compatible with this script is 0.4.0 but version number received is 0.2.4
Aug 08 2016 21:54:38 Warning: version number of local copy of logMessages.h does not match log version number received from controller.controller version = 1, local copy version = 3
Aug 08 2016 22:00:36 Installed devices received: []
Aug 08 2016 22:00:36 Available devices received: [{"a": "28FF7E366914045B", "c": 1, "b": 0, "d": 0, "f": 0, "i": -1, "h": 2, "j": 0.0, "p": 12, "t": 0}, {"a": "28FF173B641403B7", "c": 1, "b": 0, "d": 0, "f": 0, "i": -1, "h": 2, "j": 0.0, "p": 12, "t": 0}, {"c": 1, "b": 0, "d": 0, "f": 0, "i": -1, "h": 1, "p": 2, "t": 0, "x": 1}, {"c": 1, "b": 0, "d": 0, "f": 0, "i": -1, "h": 1, "p": 0, "t": 0, "x": 1}, {"c": 1, "b": 0, "d": 0, "f": 0, "i": -1, "h": 1, "p": 14, "t": 0, "x": 1}]
Aug 08 2016 22:02:13 Finding a log message here should not be possible, report to the devs!
Aug 08 2016 22:02:13 Line received was: Dev Chamber: 1, Dev Beer: 1, Dev Function: 9, Dev Hardware: 2, Dev PinNr: 12
Aug 08 2016 22:02:13 Controller debug message: ERROR 8: Cannot assign device type 0 to hardware 2
Aug 08 2016 22:02:13 Cannot process line from controller: target Chamber: 39, target Beer: 0, target Function: 1073674032, target Hardware: 1, target PinNr: 10
Aug 08 2016 22:02:13 Controller debug message: ERROR 3: Device defifination update specification is invalid
Aug 08 2016 22:02:13 Finding a log message here should not be possible, report to the devs!
Aug 08 2016 22:02:13 Line received was: Dev Address: (~6i[, Target Address: @ ?0?
Aug 08 2016 22:02:13 Device updated to: {"i":0,"t":0,"c":39,"b":0,"f":48,"h":1,"d":32,"p":10,"x":-74}
Aug 08 2016 22:02:31 Controller debug message: ERROR 7: Invalid config for device owner type 2 beer=0 chamber=1
Aug 08 2016 22:02:31 Finding a log message here should not be possible, report to the devs!
Aug 08 2016 22:02:31 Line received was: Dev Chamber: 1, Dev Beer: 0, Dev Function: 5, Dev Hardware: 2, Dev PinNr: 12
Aug 08 2016 22:02:31 Controller debug message: ERROR 3: Device defifination update specification is invalid
Aug 08 2016 22:02:31 Cannot process line from controller: target Chamber: 64, target Beer: 240, target Function: 1073674524, target Hardware: 1073674704, target PinNr: 28
Aug 08 2016 22:02:31 Finding a log message here should not be possible, report to the devs!
Aug 08 2016 22:02:31 Line received was: Dev Address: (;d, Target Address: ??? @a
Aug 08 2016 22:02:31 Device updated to: {"i":1,"t":0,"c":64,"b":-16,"f":28,"h":-48,"d":-2,"p":28}

^That^ is essentially correct - BrewPi only understands one chamber in its realm.
But it turns out that narrow view of the world allows (note choice of word there) "instancing" via multiple installations, and many of us HBTers have been exploiting that. I have four "instances", each with its own Uno, connected via USB (1 instance) and Bluetooth (the other three) running from an RPi2B.

The current automagic BrewPi installer allows pointing wherever one wishes for the two file tree roots, so for the one under /home/ you can use /home/brewpi1, /home/brewpi2, and so on, while under /var/www/html you can root /brewp1, /brewpi2, and so on.

The tweaks required are in the config files in both trees, though I think the installer might get those right on its own these days, you have to check. You do have to point to the correct Arduino (or replacement for same) for each instance, but that's pretty much it.

It's all documented in the classic BrewPi thread and maybe even the Wiki (I need to check that)...

Cheers!

The next step is to actually flash the firmware to your device. Unhook any other USB-to-serial bridges, hook the ESP8266 device up via a USB cable to your Raspberry Pi, then do the following:

sudo esptool.py --port /dev/ttyUSB0 write_flash -fm=dio -fs=32m 0x00000 /home/brewpi/esp8266/bin/brewpi-esp8266.v0.1.wifi.bin
What command do I use to locate the esp8266 on the raspberry pi? I dont think the RPI is seeing my esp8266.

What makes you think it is not seeing it?
Ok I hit a new bump in the road.I was able to flash the 8266 while it was connected to the RPI and the RPI is connected to an Ethernet cable and can see it in my windows wireless connections - so I know its alive and doing it's thing.
I'm having problems with the RPI and 8266 working together.When I unplug the Ethernet cable the RPI goes off line but the 8266 is still connected online.

I can't open a browser when connected to the 8266.I think the issue is the 8266 is not talking to the router. "The DNS server is not responding"

Ok I hit a new bump in the road.I was able to flash the 8266 while it was connected to the RPI and the RPI is connected to an Ethernet cable and can see it in my windows wireless connections - so I know its alive and doing it's thing.
I'm having problems with the RPI and 8266 working together.When I unplug the Ethernet cable the RPI goes off line but the 8266 is still connected online.
So you are at the step where you change the 8266 from an AP to a host device. Are you connecting to that device? Like you need to take and connect your computer to that as if it were a different wireless network.

When you do get connected, open a non-https page if it doesn't open the config page automatically. Like type in http://cnn.com or something like that. It should redirect to the setup page. After you set that up you reconnect back to your normal wireless network.

Anyone have any experience flashing a Adafruit Huzzah (chip ESP-12) from Windows 10?

Using win10, I used python 2.7.x x86, and esptool. The output from esptool indicated that everything uploaded correctly, however I couldn't get a response from the huzzah using the serial terminal using *.serial.bin and I also could not find a ESPXXXX to connect my wifi to using *.wifi.bin.

Also, what are the three different bins exactly?

Thanks.

Unfortunately I'm having some other issues. Seems I can't install any devices. When I hit the apply button on the discovered devices I get the following in the stderr.log file ...

Aug 08 2016 21:49:34 Checking software version on controller...
Aug 08 2016 21:54:17 Opening serial port
Aug 08 2016 21:54:27 No serial attached BrewPi found. Trying TCP serial (WiFi)
Aug 08 2016 21:54:27 Connecting to BrewPi ESP14614494.local on port 23
Aug 08 2016 21:54:28 Notification: Script started for beer 'My First BrewPi Run'
Aug 08 2016 21:54:38 Checking software version on controller...
Aug 08 2016 21:54:38 Found BrewPi v0.2.4, running commit 00000000, running on an ESP ESP8266 on port ESP14614494.local:23

Aug 08 2016 21:54:38 Warning: minimum BrewPi version compatible with this script is 0.4.0 but version number received is 0.2.4
Aug 08 2016 21:54:38 Warning: version number of local copy of logMessages.h does not match log version number received from controller.controller version = 1, local copy version = 3
Aug 08 2016 22:00:36 Installed devices received: []
Aug 08 2016 22:00:36 Available devices received: [{"a": "28FF7E366914045B", "c": 1, "b": 0, "d": 0, "f": 0, "i": -1, "h": 2, "j": 0.0, "p": 12, "t": 0}, {"a": "28FF173B641403B7", "c": 1, "b": 0, "d": 0, "f": 0, "i": -1, "h": 2, "j": 0.0, "p": 12, "t": 0}, {"c": 1, "b": 0, "d": 0, "f": 0, "i": -1, "h": 1, "p": 2, "t": 0, "x": 1}, {"c": 1, "b": 0, "d": 0, "f": 0, "i": -1, "h": 1, "p": 0, "t": 0, "x": 1}, {"c": 1, "b": 0, "d": 0, "f": 0, "i": -1, "h": 1, "p": 14, "t": 0, "x": 1}]
Aug 08 2016 22:02:13 Line received was: Dev Chamber: 1, Dev Beer: 1, Dev Function: 9, Dev Hardware: 2, Dev PinNr: 12
Aug 08 2016 22:02:13 Controller debug message: ERROR 8: Cannot assign device type 0 to hardware 2
Aug 08 2016 22:02:13 Cannot process line from controller: target Chamber: 39, target Beer: 0, target Function: 1073674032, target Hardware: 1, target PinNr: 10
Aug 08 2016 22:02:13 Controller debug message: ERROR 3: Device defifination update specification is invalid
Aug 08 2016 22:02:13 Line received was: Dev Address: (~6i[, Target Address: @ ?0?
Aug 08 2016 22:02:13 Device updated to: {"i":0,"t":0,"c":39,"b":0,"f":48,"h":1,"d":32,"p":10,"x":-74}
Aug 08 2016 22:02:31 Controller debug message: ERROR 7: Invalid config for device owner type 2 beer=0 chamber=1
Aug 08 2016 22:02:31 Line received was: Dev Chamber: 1, Dev Beer: 0, Dev Function: 5, Dev Hardware: 2, Dev PinNr: 12
Aug 08 2016 22:02:31 Controller debug message: ERROR 3: Device defifination update specification is invalid
Aug 08 2016 22:02:31 Cannot process line from controller: target Chamber: 64, target Beer: 240, target Function: 1073674524, target Hardware: 1073674704, target PinNr: 28
Aug 08 2016 22:02:31 Line received was: Dev Address: (;d, Target Address: ??? @a
Aug 08 2016 22:02:31 Device updated to: {"i":1,"t":0,"c":64,"b":-16,"f":28,"h":-48,"d":-2,"p":28}
Were you able to get anything installed? I'm having trouble now getting my heater and cooler installed.

So you are at the step where you change the 8266 from an AP to a host device. Are you connecting to that device? Like you need to take and connect your computer to that as if it were a different wireless network.

When you do get connected, open a non-https page if it doesn't open the config page automatically. Like type in http://cnn.com or something like that. It should redirect to the setup page. After you set that up you reconnect back to your normal wireless network.
connected to 8266,pull up config screen as you suggested. I selected my normal wireless network and entered the password in the config screen. Ok I get this
Credentials Saved
Trying to connect ESP to network.
If it fails reconnect to AP to try again
disconnect from 8266, log back in to normal network, then log in to brewpi but get this
Cannot receive LCD text from Python script

So after that you need to connect the RPi back to the regular wireless network, and follow these:

https://github.com/thorrak/brewpi-e...configure-brewpi-to-use-your-firmware---video

You're close.
Ok changed the config files in brewpi, logged on to the brewpi screen -still no go. I no longer see my 8266 on my windows computer wireless network screen.
PS: Thanks for all of the help.
I remember answering NO to a question about wifi in the installation,something about searching for the connection- wonder if that was a mistake.

Ok changed the config files in brewpi, logged on to the brewpi screen -still no go. I no longer see my 8266 on my windows computer wireless network screen.
So what are your logs saying now? I think they might show some good information at this point.

I remember answering NO to a question about wifi in the installation,something about searching for the connection- wonder if that was a mistake.
I think you are okay there. IIRC that's a prompt to re-scan for networks.

I mean if you go into the Maintenance window and view logs, what do you see there?
ttr(self._sock,name)(*args)
socket.gaierror: [Errno -2] Name or service not known
Aug 12 2016 21:07:06 Opening serial port
Aug 12 2016 21:07:16 No serial attached BrewPi found. Trying TCP serial (WiFi)
Aug 12 2016 21:07:16 Connecting to BrewPi ESP12653390.local on port 23
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/brewpi/brewpi.py", line 333, in
ser = util.setupSerial(config, time_out=0)
File "/home/brewpi/BrewPiUtil.py", line 160, in setupSerial
ser = tcpSerial.TCPSerial(config['wifiHost'],int(config['wifiPort']))
File "/home/brewpi/tcpSerial.py", line 19, in __init__
self.sock.connect((host, port))
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/socket.py", line 224, in meth
return getattr(self._sock,name)(*args)
Aug 12 2016 21:08:05 Opening serial port
Aug 12 2016 21:08:16 No serial attached BrewPi found. Trying TCP serial (WiFi)
Aug 12 2016 21:08:16 Connecting to BrewPi ESP12653390.local on port 23
Aug 12 2016 21:09:07 Opening serial port
Aug 12 2016 21:09:17 No serial attached BrewPi found. Trying TCP serial (WiFi)
Aug 12 2016 21:09:17 Connecting to BrewPi ESP12653390.local on port 23
Aug 12 2016 21:10:05 Opening serial port
Aug 12 2016 21:10:16 No serial attached BrewPi found. Trying TCP serial (WiFi)
Aug 12 2016 21:10:16 Connecting to BrewPi ESP12653390.local on port 23
Aug 12 2016 21:11:06 Opening serial port
Aug 12 2016 21:11:16 No serial attached BrewPi found. Trying TCP serial (WiFi)
Aug 12 2016 21:11:16 Connecting to BrewPi ESP12653390.local on port 23
Aug 12 2016 21:12:05 Opening serial port
Aug 12 2016 21:12:16 No serial attached BrewPi found. Trying TCP serial (WiFi)
Aug 12 2016 21:12:16 Connecting to BrewPi ESP12653390.local on port 23
Aug 12 2016 21:13:06 Opening serial port
Aug 12 2016 21:13:16 No serial attached BrewPi found. Trying TCP serial (WiFi)
Aug 12 2016 21:13:16 Connecting to BrewPi ESP12653390.local on port 23
Aug 12 2016 21:14:06 Opening serial port
Aug 12 2016 21:14:16 No serial attached BrewPi found. Trying TCP serial (WiFi)
Aug 12 2016 21:14:16 Connecting to BrewPi ESP12653390.local on port 23
Aug 12 2016 21:15:05 Opening serial port
Aug 12 2016 21:15:16 No serial attached BrewPi found. Trying TCP serial (WiFi)
Aug 12 2016 21:15:16 Connecting to BrewPi ESP12653390.local on port 23
Aug 12 2016 21:16:06 Opening serial port
Aug 12 2016 21:16:16 No serial attached BrewPi found. Trying TCP serial (WiFi)
Aug 12 2016 21:16:16 Connecting to BrewPi ESP12653390.local on port 23
Aug 12 2016 21:17:06 Opening serial port
Aug 12 2016 21:17:16 No serial attached BrewPi found. Trying TCP serial (WiFi)
Aug 12 2016 21:17:16 Connecting to BrewPi ESP12653390.local on port 23
Aug 12 2016 21:18:06 Opening serial port
Aug 12 2016 21:18:16 No serial attached BrewPi found. Trying TCP serial (WiFi)
Aug 12 2016 21:18:16 Connecting to BrewPi ESP12653390.local on port 23
Aug 12 2016 21:19:05 Opening serial port
Aug 12 2016 21:19:16 No serial attached BrewPi found. Trying TCP serial (WiFi)
Aug 12 2016 21:19:16 Connecting to BrewPi ESP12653390.local on port 23
Aug 12 2016 21:20:06 Opening serial port
Aug 12 2016 21:20:16 No serial attached BrewPi found. Trying TCP serial (WiFi)
Aug 12 2016 21:20:16 Connecting to BrewPi ESP12653390.local on port 23
Aug 12 2016 21:21:05 Opening serial port
Aug 12 2016 21:21:16 No serial attached BrewPi found. Trying TCP serial (WiFi)
Aug 12 2016 21:21:16 Connecting to BrewPi ESP12653390.local on port 23
Aug 12 2016 21:22:06 Opening serial port
Aug 12 2016 21:22:16 No serial attached BrewPi found. Trying TCP serial (WiFi)
Aug 12 2016 21:22:16 Connecting to BrewPi ESP12653390.local on port 23
Aug 12 2016 21:23:05 Opening serial port
Aug 12 2016 21:23:16 No serial attached BrewPi found. Trying TCP serial (WiFi)
Aug 12 2016 21:23:16 Connecting to BrewPi ESP12653390.local on port 23
Aug 12 2016 21:24:06 Opening serial port
Aug 12 2016 21:24:16 No serial attached BrewPi found. Trying TCP serial (WiFi)
Aug 12 2016 21:24:16 Connecting to BrewPi ESP12653390.local on port 23
Aug 12 2016 21:25:05 Opening serial port
Aug 12 2016 21:25:16 No serial attached BrewPi found. Trying TCP serial (WiFi)
Aug 12 2016 21:25:16 Connecting to BrewPi ESP12653390.local on port 23
Aug 12 2016 21:26:06 Opening serial port
Aug 12 2016 21:26:16 No serial attached BrewPi found. Trying TCP serial (WiFi)
Aug 12 2016 21:26:16 Connecting to BrewPi ESP12653390.local on port 23
Aug 12 2016 21:27:06 Opening serial port
Aug 12 2016 21:27:16 No serial attached BrewPi found. Trying TCP serial (WiFi)
Aug 12 2016 21:27:17 Connecting to BrewPi ESP12653390.local on port 23
Aug 12 2016 21:28:06 Opening serial port
Aug 12 2016 21:28:16 No serial attached BrewPi found. Trying TCP serial (WiFi)
Aug 12 2016 21:28:16 Connecting to BrewPi ESP12653390.local on port 23

sorry for such a long post looks like it's much of the same .

Were you able to get anything installed? I'm having trouble now getting my heater and cooler installed.

No still stuck on not being able to install any of the discovered devices. Was waiting for some help. But either I'm totally an idiot and missing something obvious or no one knows how to fix it. I'm leaning towards the first one but haven't had any time to look at it again for the obvious errors on my part.

Wow I didn't see this thread until today, unfortunately. I'm starting to play with the ESP-12's myself. From scanning the 8 pages, I did see something about one-wire... I have DS18B20's working fine with the standard Arduino libraries... I assume the developer of this BrewPi code does too by now. The only catch I see is that I needed a stronger pullup on the ESP-12 -- like 100 Ohms to have it be 100% reliable. But if you look at the datasheet it's not able to source and sink what the AVR's did so I am not that much worried about it.

One other possibility for I/O expansion that I've used before on other small embedded projects are the i2c expansion chips. Originally everyone used a chip by Philips. Now Sparkfun has a "SX1509" chip board that has 16 5.5V tolerant I/O's... Adafruit has a much cheaper "MCP23017" in DIP format that can do the same sort of task. (Though I don't know if a 28-pin DIP would fit on the WEMOS proto card.. I have one at home.. I'll check later)...

But other that that-- cool.. I went as cheap as I could on Ali and it took forever, so you beat me to a very similar project.

Could the 5v be used to pull up instead of using the 100 ohm resistor?

You can't use a near-zero-impedance source like that for a "pull-up" because it would totally overwhelm the circuit's ability to be in a "low" state. There has to be enough resistance in the current source to allow the driving node to toggle the circuit to at least the minimum acceptable voltage states.

imo, fwiw, there's something suspect about a circuit that requires a 100 ohm pull-up, when the same devices in the applications I've used them in work with 100% apparently reliability with 4.7K pull-ups...

Cheers!

Thanks. My brain was fried yesterday so there's no way I was going to think through it. I'll just keep my 4.7k

ttr(self._sock,name)(*args)
Aug 12 2016 21:07:06 Opening serial port
Aug 12 2016 21:07:16 No serial attached BrewPi found. Trying TCP serial (WiFi)
Aug 12 2016 21:07:16 Connecting to BrewPi ESP12653390.local on port 23
You've exceeded my abilities there. It's talking but not correctly. Maybe someone else can jump in now.

You've exceeded my abilities there. It's talking but not correctly. Maybe someone else can jump in now.
Thanks -I think I'm going to reload and start over. Even after I re scan my wireless connections on my windows computer the esp8266 doesn't show up.

It won't show up after you configure it to connect to your wireless. The reason it shows up the first time is because it is in AP mode (access point). When you configure it, it becomes like every other computer on your network.

Back