National Homebrew Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guessing that the 375ml bottles will work for the finals? I don't have my score sheet yet, but I'm sure I got dinged for lower Carbonation. It was my Triple in Indy. I've never seen the bottle measurements. I was worried about putting 3.5 volumes in a standard bottle. I guess the pint bottles Ayinger uses would work as they are thick?

I'm guessing that the 375ml bottles will work for the finals? I don't have my score sheet yet, but I'm sure I got dinged for lower Carbonation. It was my Triple in Indy. I've never seen the bottle measurements. I was worried about putting 3.5 volumes in a standard bottle. I guess the pint bottles Ayinger uses would work as they are thick?

Here is the final word on bottle sizes, I'd measure your 375ml as I think they could be too large in diameter - I know the ones I use for cider are - its annoying that there are so few sources for stronger bottles that fill these requirements. I don't thing the standard Weissbier bottles are accepted either- too wide

Container Size & Appearance
 Hold a minimum of 10 ounces (296 ml) in volume.
 No more than 2.75 inches (7 cm) in diameter and no more than 9
inches (23 cm) in height.*
 Flip tops and 22 oz bottles are not acceptable.
 Must be free of ink, paint, or paper labeling other than the
competition entry label.
 Bottle caps must be neutral i.e. no lettering or graphics.
Number of bottles

*Please note that we put these guidelines in place because all entries need
to fit into a standard longneck case box slot. Please check to make sure your
bottles fit in a standard case size box before entering.

Seattle and NYC organizers sent out their score sheets already, I guess its up to the judging location organizers

Here is the final word on bottle sizes, I'd measure your 375ml as I think they could be too large in diameter - I know the ones I use for cider are.

I don't have any of the 375ml bottles. I was going to order some. No measurements in the description. I know the Ayinger bottles fit in the slot. I'll measure them I guess. I'm not sure how you can bottle styles that require thicker glass safely. Guess I'll go to the store and see about a 4 pack. Most of those breweries make their own bottle with their name in the glass. I'd hate to get rejected for the bottle after finally advancing.

Just got an email from Tampa that one of my beers did well enough to make it to the mini-BOS round. Pretty stoked about that! Score sheets are packed and on their way.

My Schwarzbier took 2nd in Philly! Was shocked to see as I thought it was great a month ago, but had really gone past it's peak. Have to rebrew it for final round.

Congrats! A 3rd in IPA at NHC, considering the number of entries in that category, is great!

Thanks! I was actually shocked it placed because I brewed it way back in January. I had planned on re-brewing it before the entry deadline so it was fresher for the judges but life got in the way.

Got that too! I read it aloud and my wife followed it up with the obligatory "duh duh duuuuhhhhhh". VERY ominous sounding!

Scores arrived from Tampa. Impressed with the details. Judges gave excellent feedback! They even included the Mini-BOS summary which shows how your entry was judged against the others that advanced!

Nope... not this year! Had beginners luck two years ago in my first NHC entered, with an American Amber through to the second round, but struck out this year and last. Oh well, better step it up for next year. Good luck to everyone who makes it through!

Still waiting for Philly score sheets to see how high my Schwarzbier that advanced scored. Weirdly every other person in my homebrew club that entered got theirs Tuesday.

anyone know what's up with Sacramento? It's been 2 weeks

I would like to know also.
I heard they didn't have enough judges so they had to judge the next weekend also.that doesn't explain why we still haven't seen the results yet.the other regions that judged the same initial weekend all had the results posted within a few days.
my guess is sacramento turned into a cluster ... and they have a mess on their hands.

I wont be submitting to that region again.going to Seattle or another region that actually judges in march.

I would like to know also.
I heard they didn't have enough judges so they had to judge the next weekend also.that doesn't explain why we still haven't seen the results yet.the other regions that judged the same initial weekend all had the results posted within a few days.
my guess is sacramento turned into a cluster ... and they have a mess on their hands.

I wont be submitting to that region again.going to Seattle or another region that actually judges in march.

actually know of some people who got calls or emails with their results... guess you gotta know people... problem was the state competition was the being judged at the same time so probably caused delays... but shouldnt take this long

I got my Denver scoresheets emailed to me today. The entries I thought would do well both scored 33 (a british brown ale and an oaked blueberry mead) and the one I thought would score poorly got a 40 (a chocolate coconut stout). I guess you never know what to expect, haha.

I got my Denver scoresheets emailed to me today. The entries I thought would do well both scored 33 (a british brown ale and an oaked blueberry mead) and the one I thought would score poorly got a 40 (a chocolate coconut stout). I guess you never know what to expect, haha.

Congrats on the chocolate coconut stout! What category did you enter that into? My chocolate coconut porter took a 36 in 13C and a 30 in 29C. Both score sheets said I should have gone with 30A. I did a ton of research prior, but it looks like I blew it ha!

I'm in a similar boat in that my spiced ale that took 1st place in 30A at a diff comp only scored a 25, but my IPA that I didn't think was anything special scored a 40. All in all, a good first NHC!

Congrats on the chocolate coconut stout! What category did you enter that into? My chocolate coconut porter took a 36 in 13C and a 30 in 29C. Both score sheets said I should have gone with 30A. I did a ton of research prior, but it looks like I blew it ha!

I'm in a similar boat in that my spiced ale that took 1st place in 30A at a diff comp only scored a 25, but my IPA that I didn't think was anything special scored a 40. All in all, a good first NHC!

I submitted to 30A. I think the BJCP rules explicitly list coconut (or at least words ending in 'nut') as needing to be entered into that category.

Nice job on the IPA! Especially since it had to sit around for so long. I think next year I'll enter into one of the locations that judges earlier.

Got my Philly scoresheets, Schwarzbier that took 2nd and advanced to finals scored a 37. Meanwhile an Irish Dry Stout that I figured would score in 20's actually got a 35.

Was kind of glad the schwarzbier did not get a score in 40's, as I just re-brewed for finals and tweaked recipe to get the beer a little drier and not as dark, and would have hated to tweak a beer that scored in 40's, while a 37 shows that there is room to improve the beer.

I got my results in from Denver. My first contest ever entered. My Fresh Cut Pre-Prohibition Lager scored a 33, and my CzechMate Premium Czech Lager took second in the first round in its category with 37! I'm stoked... I'm on to the final round! Congrats to all who are there with me!

I submitted to 30A. I think the BJCP rules explicitly list coconut (or at least words ending in 'nut') as needing to be entered into that category.

Nice job on the IPA! Especially since it had to sit around for so long. I think next year I'll enter into one of the locations that judges earlier.

Yea I did quite a bit of research, but obviously not in the right place. Oh well, I still get to enjoy the beer myself!

I was told that they mark up the sheet somehow to show that you went on to the mini-BOS. Anybody know anything about this? Do they just note it at the top somewhere? I guess I would have sorta thought if my IPA scored a 40 that it'd at least be close to moving on. I'm still pretty new to the competition game, so maybe I'm way off here idk.

I got my results in from Denver. My first contest ever entered. My Fresh Cut Pre-Prohibition Lager scored a 33, and my CzechMate Premium Czech Lager took second in the first round in its category with 37! I'm stoked... I'm on to the final round! Congrats to all who are there with me!

Congrats on moving through! Was there a note on your scoresheet that you made it to the final round or did you receive a different email?

The message was in the same email that I received my scoresheet in. It wasn't marked on the scoresheet though. Here's the text in the email:

"Dear Stephen,

Thank you for participating in the first round of the 2017 National Homebrew Competition, Denver region in category 3B.

Congratulations!* Your entry took second place in this category. The AHA will be in touch with you shortly regarding your award and entry in the final round in June.

Your score sheets are attached.

Cheers!"

Sacramento is killing me! Received an email a week ago that judging was complete and results will be posted in 'about a week'

At least as far as Denver, the stewards collected the scoresheets as the judges finished judging each beer and then presented the judges with a summary of their scores for the category. The judges then selected the beers for the mini-BoS from the summary list. So, the judges didn't have the score sheets on which to make notes about progression.

Back