Nasty rubber taste from new beer lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBigHops

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First, I really searched for this. Having trouble believing I'm the first to ask this question, but I didn't see it anywhere.

New to kegging. I bought a Cannonball 1.75 gal keg with hoses from Northern Brewer. I ran about 4 gallons of sanitized hot water through the picnic tap hose. But my beer still has a rubber taste, and a nasty aftertaste. Borrowed a hose from a friend who has been kegging for years. Rubber taste is gone! So how the heck long is it going to take before the nasty taste goes away? Do I keep running more sanitized water through it, or do something else?

Thanks!

Run BLC through it for a while then some water to flush it out then some StarSan. Should be good!

Thanks. I hadn't heard of BLC yet, so did some research. Since these are brand new lines is that necessary? I don't have any yet. I see some others clean with Oxy Clean which I do have. Might that be sufficient for getting rid of the rubber taste?

I'd try the Oxy since you have it or PBW. I've just read that BLC has a higher concentration of the good stuff to help clean and clear out your lines. But since he's our new lines, try the Oxy and Starsan..

Back