Nano sour batch test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
I'd like to do an open air test batch as a precursor to a possible larger batch. Anyone tried just mixing up some DME, throwing it in a pan and waiting to see what resulted? Anything wrong with this approach? How long to wait?

I think there's a chapter on it in American Sour Beers, and the author definitely talks about it on his blog, the Mad Fermentationist. IIRC, the only thing you've left out is some cheesecloth or similar over top to keep dust and critters out, leave it overnight with the windows open and you should get what you came for. But don't take my word for it, go read the blog!

Last edited:
That's pretty similar to what I've done. Mixed up about 1L of DME wort, split it into about 10 mason jars and left them out overnight to collect wild yeast and bacteria. I propped up the most promising cultures to 5 gallons recently. The wild stuff has created a lot of white grape, pear, and berry aromatics. It will be interesting to see how well it is attenuating, and how it ages. Not exactly trying to replicate the old world style cool ship fermentation, but a spontaneous beer nonetheless.

In regards to your process, I would do overnight or until you start to see activity. Keep it covered with cheesecloth. Nothing wrong with your experiment as far as I can tell.

I did something similar last November, I'll probably move it over soon to see what happened. I had some leftover grains that were already milled laying around and I was going to throw out. I also had some hops from a previous batch I didn't completely use.

I made two 1 gallon batches of a SMaSH IPA over a two night period. The first batch I let sit over night before moving over to glass fermenter. The second I used the yeast from Boulevard Long Strange Tripel to compare.

The former batch started fermenting after a day or two. After a couple weeks it was making a funky cucumber smell. Over some time it grew some pellicles that I've been meaning to skim off and bottle the result.

The other batch fermented cleanly and looks appropriate for what I would expect. I'm halfway scared to try the open air one at this point but it must be done -- for science. (And yes, I know it won't kill me but this is my first foray into this wild world)

I did it once with extra wort from a brewday. It fermented out, but I never did end up tasting it. I chickened out due to botulism fears. To prevent enteric bacteria, you can lower the pH of your wort to <4.5. I'd recomend that. I would like to do some wild yeast and LAB wrangling, but I want to get a pH meter first to do it a bit more methodically.

Latest posts

Back