Naming your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tipsymonkey

Reaction score
So i've brewed batches and never really named a beer. My friends come over and they always ask "what do you call it?" to which i reply with the most generic name ever - beer? stout? honey beer? Do any of you guys actually think up creative names for your creations? I was thinking that I was going to start. Get a logo and everything. Hell i already got a great brewery name TipsyMonkey!

;)

We have been naming them all lately. It's fun and it gives you some frame of reference to remember which was which. It gives them more personality too. Some of our recent names:

Wit Man's Burden - a Wit that took over 4 hours to sparge
Bitter Defeat - brewed the day after the Presidential election...an English Bitter
Vote For Pedro - a great Pale Ale
Flaky Salmon - A pale made with all Chinook
Barn Floor Bitter - my brother spilled a bunch of grain all over the floor...some made it into the mash anyway ;)
GLGA - a house standard...stands for Gregg's Little Girly Ale (Gregg is me). A buddy of mine named this because he was convinced it would be lawnmower beer. Just a straight ahead Pale Ale with no crystal/caramel malt.
Sir Greggory's Ale for Young British Ladies - Sounds sketchy, huh? It's a GLGA made with British yeast and hops.
Black Tuxedo - A really silky smooth stout we have on tap now.

It goes on and on...I find naming them is fun :D

Janx said:
We have been naming them all lately. It's fun and it gives you some frame of reference to remember which was which. It gives them more personality too. Some of our recent names:

Bitter Defeat - brewed the day after the Presidential election...an English Bitter
Vote For Pedro - a great Pale Ale
Flaky Salmon - A pale made with all Chinook
Barn Floor Bitter - my brother spilled a bunch of grain all over the floor...some made it into the mash anyway ;)
GLGA - a house standard...stands for Gregg's Little Girly Ale (Gregg is me). A buddy of mine named this because he was convinced it would be lawnmower beer. Just a straight ahead Pale Ale with no crystal/caramel malt.
Sir Greggory's Ale for Young British Ladies - Sounds sketchy, huh? It's a GLGA made with British yeast and hops.
Black Tuxedo - A really silky smooth stout we have on tap now.

It goes on and on...I find naming them is fun :D

Oh man...cracking up on those man! Napoleon Dynamite references and all...

tipsymonkey said:
So i've brewed batches and never really named a beer. My friends come over and they always ask "what do you call it?" to which i reply with the most generic name ever - beer? stout? honey beer? Do any of you guys actually think up creative names for your creations? I was thinking that I was going to start. Get a logo and everything. Hell i already got a great brewery name TipsyMonkey! ;)

Here's what I've got so far...even though I've only made a couple of these...sometimes naming them is just as fun!

Power of The Dark Side - Imperial Stout
Bouncin' Betty Brown Ale - Vanilla Almond Brown Ale
Blueberry Helles - Blueberry Hellesbock
120 Days - IPA (back in the day, it took about 4 or 5 months to sail from England to India - or about 120 days...)
Wit or Wit-Out You - Belgian Wit
Incoholic Melonade - Hard Lemonade
Pan's Flute - Honey Wheat Kolsch
Cherry Bustuh Chocolate Stout - Chocolate Cherry Stout
Dragon's Milk - Barley Wine (I actually got this name from one of the old names for barley wine)
Wild Irish Rose - Red Ale
Fields of Bannockburn - Scottish Wee Heavy
Wet Your Wassail - Christmas Lager

bitter defeat
LMAO!!!

i just call them by style...

german ale #1,2,3 etc
bitter ale #1, 2
pale ale#1

i have officially named one stout "ze dark and nasty' cause it's absolutely putrid... i've not been able to choke down more than a sip... i think it's either totally bunked up or just needs to age more, but i think it's horrid :) too lazy to open all the bottles and pour it out, so i'm just gonna let it sit and try it again in a month. :rolleyes:

These are great. Now I am inspired to name mine. hmmm.. what will I name the next batch.

i've only named a few:

Empyreal Aprihop IPA
Defenestrator Dobblebock

thats all i can think of... usually i just name them by whats in it: maple ginger porter, etc.

phuzle said:
i've only named a few:

Empyreal Aprihop IPA
Defenestrator Dobblebock

thats all i can think of... usually i just name them by whats in it: maple ginger porter, etc.

Did you name those AFTER a few homebrews? :p

And how do you say them after a few more homebrews??? :D

I use plain old bottles that friends/coworkers save for me and I would just set them in piles in my cupboard. One day my wife "re-arranged" the cupboard and they all got mixed up. From then on I color-coded by cap and I've taken to naming them Red-Cap-One, -Two, and so on. Black-Cap-One is Al's Angry after the ordeal. I sometimes give gift sets of "The Great Mixup".

Janx said:
That's great. The most clever use of the "ator" naming convention I can think of.

A doppelbock that throws you out the window ;)

I don't name them all, but these are a few:

Hairy Bavarian - Hefeweizen
Dragon Juice - Old Ale
Big B's ESB
DeFalco's Bastard Ale - Arrogant Bastard Ale Clone, Named after my local HBS
Big Ass Texas Brown Ale
Football-toberfest - Octoberfest brewed for the start of Aggie Football Season

DeRoux's Broux said:
I don't name them all, but these are a few:

Hairy Bavarian - Hefeweizen
Dragon Juice - Old Ale
Big B's ESB
DeFalco's Bastard Ale - Arrogant Bastard Ale Clone, Named after my local HBS
Big Ass Texas Brown Ale
Football-toberfest - Octoberfest brewed for the start of Aggie Football Season

There's also a web page called www.myownlabels.com that you can go to. They have about, 12-15 dofferent types of labels that you can add your own verbage to. Good quality labels too. I've used them a few times for some "special" brews when I bottled. Brew Your Own also has an annual homemade label contest that's pretty funny. Usually see some wild stuff!

Janx said:

If I were brewing then, I suppose I would have made a honey-brew called "Sweet Victory." ;)

orrelse said:
Did you name those AFTER a few homebrews? :p

And how do you say them after a few more homebrews??? :D
the first one i named not after a homebrew but after dogfish head's aprihop. i was trying to make something similar, mainly, an ipa with an outragous amount of hops and apricot. the empyreal addition is my own - it means celestial. and the -ator thing is how you're supposed to do a dobblebock. also i need to get labels for that beer and put a goat on it, im told.

i want to name the rest of my beers but im too lazy.

Do you name every batch, or just each recepie that you use?
On one hand, I would hate to 'finish off' a batch that had a name ... but on the other hand, I haven't yet done the same recepie twice, so maybe it's no problem.

Right now I have a "bitter end adventure ale" - a traditional canadian ale with extra hops, and a "Lac la BiTche special bitter" - a very high test company bitter brewed specially for the annual (unpopular) field school session up north on Lac La Biche.

I haven't named my stout yet... I suppose I wouldn't be the first to use something like
"The Empire Strikes Back" or "Lord Vader"?

Keegan

Well at a brewpub up here there's the "Darth Delirium". It's about 10.5% and is almost like taking a shot of thick liquor. It fits it's name in both being dark and finishing a whole pint of it would most likely cause delirium.

I've been thinking of a recipe for Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster (Janx will know what I'm talking about) in honor of the new Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie coming out later this month. I know it's not really naming a brew as much as creating a brew for the name. I'm thinking some kind of incredibly hoppy high-alcohol barley wine. Something that will get you tanked after a pint.

The effect of which "is like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick."

Oh man I can't wait for HHGTTG to come out!

I've read the 3 part trillogy more than once. And my little bro managed to find the LPs with the original radio show...

I admit I haven't seen the first movie though :-/

Keegan

6 parts... well, 5 1/2 if you count "Young Zaphod Plays it Safe." Oddly enough, I have all of the series on my ipod. My wife downloaded them from somewhere on the internet. I can get you the address if you want it. I don't remember a first movie, but there was a BBC television series that I have on VHS somewhere. A small part of me hopes that HHGTTG is a least a little bit as corny as the original TV series.

Now that you mention it, doesn't a slice of lemon wrapped around a gold brick sound like it would go best with a wheat? Hmmm.. I'll have to think about this.

Actually.. I just looked and I have the BBC series on DVD. When did that happen? Must have been drunk when I bought it :)

Can't say that I've seen any of the shows/movies for HHGTTG but I did see Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and if the movie/book translation is as good then it should be a blast.

Oops, ya, I meant 5 part trillogy.

I didn't know dirk gently was made into a show?

I read the little bit of "salmon of doubt" that there is... I commented that it was disappointing that there was no ending...

...then I corrected myself, realizing that NONE of them had real endings anyway!

Keegan

I can find everything except the Suntiger tooth...

"The best drink in existence is the Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster. The effect of drinking one of these is rather like having your brains smashed out with a slice of lemon, wrapped around a large gold brick. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy will tell you on which planets the best ones are brewed, how much you can expect to pay for one, and which voluntary organizations exist to help you recover afterwards.

"Fortunately, the Guide also tells you how you can make one yourself." (And, of course, it's gin-based.)

Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster

1 bottle Ol' Janx Spirit.
1 measure Santraginean seawater.
3 cubes frozen Arcturan MegaGin.
4 liters Fallian marsh gas.
1 measure Qualactin Hypermint Extract.
1 Algolian Suntiger tooth.
Zamphour to taste.
Olive garnish.

Take the juice from one bottle of the Ol' Janx Spirit (see page 15 of the actual Guide).

Pour into it one measure of water from the seas of Santraginus V -- Oh, that Santraginean seawater, it says. Oh, those Santraginean fish!

Allow three cubes of Arcturan MegaGin to melt into the mixture (it must be properly iced or the benzene is lost).

Allow four liters of Fallian marsh gas to bubble thrugh it, in memory of all those happy hikers who have died of pleasure in the marshes of Fallia.

Over the back of a silver spoon float a measure of Qualactin Hypermint Extract, redolent of all the heady odors of the dark Qualactin Zones, subtle, sweet and mystic.

Drop in the tooth of an Algolan Suntiger. Watch it dissolve, spreading the fires of the Algolan suns deep into the heart of the drink.

Sprinkle Zamphour.

Add an olive.

Drink... but... very... carefully.

Since we have three English Bulldogs, I incorporate their names into my naming conventions. Here is link to them supporting their favorite football team - the Montana Grizzlies............Bodacious Bulldog Brewing

For instance, I made T-Bone's Pale Ale (he's the one in the white t-shirt)

and I made Brendolyn's Raspberry Brindle (she's other white smaller bullie)

and Brutus's Olde English Stout (he's my boy... ;) )

I actually make labels with their pic on it when giving away or whatever.

Back