Name this dog!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, we found a dog at an animal shelter about an hour away from us, and we paid for him. We can't pick him up until March 19 (long story) so we have time to name him. What we know: probably purebred yellow lab. Very smart and very gentle and laid back. Probably 9-11 months old.

Bob wanted a Native American name, since this animal shelter is on Potawatomi land. He thought of "Koda" which is a Sioux word meaning "Friend" or "Ally".

I'm not too sure. Here he is:
dog.jpg

Any ideas for naming him?

Too bad he's just a pup, you could call him Old Yooper!

I like the name Koda -- and its meaning makes it even more special.

Thank you for adopting a dog from a shelter. There are so many good dogs out there that need a 2nd chance in a loving home.

DaveyBoy said:
Too bad he's just a pup, you could call him Old Yooper!

I like the name Koda -- and its meaning makes it even more special.

Thank you for adopting a dog from a shelter. There are so many good dogs out there that need a 2nd chance in a loving home.

I agree with you- I would never consider a dog from any where else. We've looked a lot recently, and it's heart breaking that people get puppies and then don't train them and then dispose of them when they are too big and untrained. We've seen several nice dogs who need much more training and discipline than we can give, though, so we've been just waiting for the right one for us.

All of my cats have always come from shelters, as well.

Bob said NO to any thing with the word "Yooper" in it!

Ooompa Loompa said:
Zshelte (Russian for yellow)
Sobaka (Russian for dog)

Well, that's a good direction. My husband is 100% Russian, but doesn't speak it so we didn't know that. I told him these and he said, "Hmmmmmm".

YooperBrew said:
I really like Kolsch- that's a good one.

Thanks for the birthday wishes- you guys are so great!
what do I win if you pick mine
[thinking] a date with your avatar!!! [pondering silently]
JJ

See, I'd call him Bob. My first choice for naming anything is Bob, though, so that's not a stretch. Unfortunately in your house that'd be confusing.

And I'll second (or third or fourth, by now) the thank you. Rescue animals are the best...my catboy's a rescue (from the great outdoors, not a shelter), and he's the best friend I can imagine. You're a nice lady, Yooper.

Awesome yoop!
Good jorb getting a pup from the pound and congrats on the yellow lab! You don't see alot of pure labs at the humane society or shelter..

I love my lab to death, she is so much fun to have around. So playful, loyal and loving. Any lab i've ever been around is the same.

Pugilist said:
I have the perfect name for a lab. Porter.

Bob said Porter is a great name, for a black lab especially! He told our daughter (age 18) that he likes the name Koda, and now she's hyped up on that, too. My son is more laid back and really doesn't have any preferences.

Glad you liked it! I just think Porter is a very friendly sounding name. I have an uncle that used to show labs when he was younger, he had a female champion named Blaze. Always liked that name too!

YooperBrew said:
Bob said Porter is a great name, for a black lab especially! He told our daughter (age 18) that he likes the name Koda, and now she's hyped up on that, too. My son is more laid back and really doesn't have any preferences.
It sounds like Koda is catching on!

I have to commend you as everyone else has for getting your dog from a shelter. It's really too bad that people will get pets and then not take care of them only to abandon them or turn them in to the shelters. It's great that there are people like you who will take them in and give them a chance.

Koda or whatever is name will be is going to be one happy dog! This summer at the cottage will be great for him.

Back