Name that Yeast - a request for Yeast detectives everywhere

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crawkraut

Reaction score
OK, I can't figure this one out and need some help. I'm trying to identify a proper yeast strain that will match this general description, which I was provided during the course of research recently conducted on a recipe I'm about to brew.

The description:

Use a high flocculating English strain that you ferment at 65 degrees. You need to achieve 75% attenuation. This yeast will not provide much of an ester profile and it should contribute a nice bready flavor to this malty beer [a stout]. It's best to overpitch this yeast a little, without overdoing it.

The journey:
I've been through all the Wyeast and White Labs products, but just can't seem to put my finger on a proper yeast variety that matches the description above.

Please help!

What about wyeast 1099/ WLP017 Whitbread Ale?

High floc, about 70-75% attenuation. And when fermented on the low end of the temp scale, which 65 would be, it has a very low ester profile.

Sounds like WLP007 Dry English.

I love this yeast for everything from bitters to Black IPAs to English barleywines. I imagine it would do well in a stout, as well. Only thing is it will attenuate down to about 80%.

Back