Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several of those windows, the lower big ones, seem to be soldiers or other military uniforms. I think the windows have an English vibe, but this is fairly new construction. I've been to London a couple of times, and this isn't there. Doesn't seem to be at Sandhurst. i think this is more likely in a Commonwealth country.

Coming late to this but whilst the windows are quite British, the overall vibe definitely isn't quite right for the UK. Thinking about it - it's partly the vegetation, partly the reflecting pool which is something we're really not that into (compared to eg DC), partly we wouldn't have a building in this kind of complex - we have plenty of churches already so our memorials tend to be standalone statues or walls. And that kind of Portland stone, Byzantine/Art Deco-influenced style isn't that common here, but was common for the grander cemeteries/memorials in Flanders like Tyne Cot and Vimy Ridge so I guess it's not surprising that the dominions followed suit - the stone obviously stays cleaner in Oz though!

1660349056312.png
1660349956996.png

That church could be in southern England, but the cars have white rear numberplates which can't be British, the house on the left looks rather French and the lampposts definitely do - and there's a tricolour on the right.

So I'm guessing that it's following a theme, that it's either the Western Front or Normandy and there's some kind of Allied memorial/grave in it or other military connection? Given the somewhat "English" feel to the church I'm tempted to say Norman rather than Flanders?

"Normandy D Day church" gets you Saint Mere Eglise, France. Among other things that happened there, John Steele, 82nd Airborne, hung from that church.

Among other things indeed, @D.B.Moody

Captured by the 82nd Airborne in the wee hours of June 6 1944. Possibly the first town to be liberated in France.

Pvt Steele hung by his parachute for a couple hours playing dead. The German's learned he was alive when they cut him down to search for papers, etc. Amazingly, he escaped and survived the war. Here he is, memorialized by a mannequin on the other side of the church.

AE_SME_28122013_redim.jpg

Inside the church, here's the connection to the Australian War Memorial. A replacement window commemorating the boys of the 82nd Airborne.

size0-full-army.mil-39809-2009-06-03-100628.jpg
capturing-town-1.jpg

Tough one, @D.B.Moody

Clearly Soviet. While the vantage point in your pic makes it look like the blue corrugated stuff is a simple guard gate in front of a big white building, the tank must be on something solid, earth. A door opening into ground under the tank. A bunker? Soviet bunker. Moscow bunker. Ah. Stalin's Bunker in Izmaylovo.

5069110714122154.jpg

And that big white wall? A whole lot of nothing.

15_big.jpg

Inside, quite nice.

2417.jpg

Stalin's bunker in Moscow it is. I admit that my picture shorted the skyline above the tank. I also took a shot of the armored personnel carrier because I thought it odd that it had wide whitewall tires. Turns out it also is not of the WWII era, but from the 60's.
2012 2.png

You're up @DBhomebrew.

That place is all spiffy. It's been, I assume recently, restored. It has a moorish influenced architecture. It's crammed in an old city. It has the commandments on top and five pointed stars in the windows. This has got to be a restored synagogue in Europe. I've been having no luck finding it with those and similar words. I'm going to dinner. :)

Last edited:
Well, the secret was to add "striped walls" to those other words. (restored synagogue moorish striped walls Europe) Maybe the spaghetti at dinner helped me think to add that.
Verdun, France.

Last edited:
@D.B.Moody got it!

This building was built in the 1870s to replace the original that was destroyed during the Franco-Prussian War. Desecrated by the Germans in WW2, Jewish-American veterans helped restore it after the war. It again fell into disrepair and was subject to anti-Semitic graffiti and vandalism. When I first found it in my research, they were fundraising for a restoration which they've very recently completed.

2022-07-25.jpg

Here's a pic pulled from the online National Archives collection. Members of Gen Omar Bradley's 12th Army Group HQ celebrating Yom Kippur in Sept 44. The mustachioed gent sitting in the last few rows is my grandfather.

739678.jpeg

Last edited:
Florence it is. But all you needed was "Italy dome" and you can get Florence. I think the statue you thought of is in Brussels. You're up @bracconiere.

Last edited:
more eastern...and a way funnier name, and it's the lake i'm challenging you to name not the building....if you can spell or even pronounce it!

Been searching light houses in MA but no luck yet. Not many lighthouses on lakes, if that's even what that thing is. Hmm.

??? i said more north? ;) :mug:

(i'm still learning this game, not sure what constitutes a 'good' play...i was looking for a lake, saw this name and couldn't stop laughing, thought it'd be fun..not as good as beer man's guess though!)

Back