Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. That's the Marmot Recreation Area Footbridge over the Sandy River in Oregon
Ding. Ding. Ding. We have a winner at last. At least this one proved a bit of a challenge.

It is the former site of a 22MW hydroelectric dam that was dismantled in 2007 and 2008.

2017-07-24-Marmot-Dam-before-and-after2.png

I find it interesting the dam was removed. I guess it didn't supply enough power to be feasible?

Dam removal is a pretty active trend. Per Wikipedia...

Arguments for dam removal consider whether their negative effects outweigh their benefits. The benefits of dams include hydropower production, flood control, irrigation, and navigation. Negative effects of dams include environmental degradation, such as reduced primary productivity, loss of biodiversity, and declines in native species; some negative effects worsen as dams age, like structural weakness, reduced safety, sediment accumulation, and high maintenance expense.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dam_removal

ETA: Salmon Run Bell Tower, Vancouver, WA

Feels British and vaguely familiar - Peak District/Dales?

Road markings imply driving on the left, looks like a track has been converted to cycle/footpath.

A steam engine in a building next to a railway, suggests a stationary engine for helping trains up hills?

All those signboards feel very "heritage"-touristy.

If not the Peak District, then Yorkshire?

About 6.5 miles as the crow flies (is that a saying in the UK, or just the US?).

Yep, it's in Dickens and goes back earlier than that, not that they fly in a particularly straight line.

Part of the Elsecar Heritage Center featuring a Newcomen Beam Engine that had pumped out the New Colliery at Elsecar.

Elsecar Heritage CentRE ;)

Other side of the Peak District to where I grew up, so I don't know it so well although the feel is similar.

Ooo, a close one! @bruce_the_loon got it first, but @Northern_Brewer got the "correct" spelling!

It is, indeed, the Elsecar Heritage Centre/er. That is a Newcomen atmospheric engine, which was invented 50 years before the Watt steam engine. It worked by filling the raised cylinder with steam, then injecting cool water to allow the atmosphere to press down on the cylinder, raising the other end of the beam. There are several working Newcomen engines still out there, but the one in the picture is now powered by hydraulics for demonstration purposes.

I guess I'll give it to @bruce_the_loon, since he got it first (and I agree with his spelling)!

Ooh, I recognise that straight off, it's one of the pumping stations for London's water system.

(bit of a search)

Ah - here we go, Abbey Mills, Bazalgette's "Cathedral of Sewage" just downstream from the Olympic Park. Now supplemented by a rather more mundane pumphouse in 1997. They certainly don't make 'em like they used to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbey_Mills_Pumping_Station
1641555511376.png

Last edited:
And Northern Brewer has it. They built with style in the old days, now you're lucky if they paint the precast concrete walls they crane into place.

I can just imagine some bean counter reading about wooden balustrades in the sewage pump station and losing his mind.

You're next NB.

We had near-identical balustrates in one of my schools, it's weird seeing them here.

Apologies for the slowness, I was away for the weekend, but here we go -
1641814477701.png

I believe I found it. Googled Mosques with square towers and then opened 50 most beautiful mosques and there it was.

Edit: Error, I highlighted the wrong one: It was the green band near the top that gave it away. :mug:

Conakry Grand Mosque, Guinea

1641939332757.png

Not Nizamiye - a dome surrounded by four minarets is a reasonably common configuration.

It is the Grand Mosque of Conakry, the main port of Guinea in western Africa. It's the biggest mosque in sub-Saharan Africa, built with Saudi funding in 1982.

Its garden houses what is effectively the national mausoleum of Guinea, which among others has the remains of Ahmed Sékou Touré. He was the first president of independent Guinea, and would have celebrated his 100th birthday last Sunday.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmed_Sékou_Touré
@cmac62, you're up.

Is that a railway on the right? In which case it's a station with a hotel on top? But looks way too young for that?

Back