Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, now I remember. I worked in one of those buildings the last 8 years of my working life! Of course that was over 14 years ago, and I didn't fly to work from St. Louis, I drove from Kirkwood. :) Thanks for the prompt, 3 Dawg Night.
Clayton, MO

Last edited:
No, really, govner1, I worked in a building in that picture from late 1998 to mid 2006. The red building just to the left and down from the top of the tall building in the center. The road across the picture is Forest Park Pky. I was born, raised, and currently live within ten miles of there. (Not that much of what you see was there in 1943. :))
It's Clayton, MO

Last edited:
This may be a bit harder than my usual:
2011.JPG

The architecture is very distinctive if you've been there. To be honest I thought you'd managed to get a photo without the tower at all, it took me a while to work out the angle. But that photo does sum up the experience for me - I wasn't quite sure what to expect but I was rather underwhelmed by the tower and far more impressed by the cathedral and baptistry (the round building front-left) which nobody seems to talk about much.

Since we're in lockdown, it's time for a trip to the beach :

1610531225335.png

Indeed, it's Martello towers 14 & 15 at Hythe, built in 1805/6 to keep out the French. I assume the numbers between them are something to do with the nearby army ranges.

As usual with my pics there's a beery connection - Hythe was the home of Mackeson since 1669, for their 240th anniversary in 1909 they put lactose in a dark beer to create milk stout. So Hythe is not only the birthplace of milk stout, but the spiritual home of all its derivatives like pastry stout. However it's not seen brewing for a long time, it ended up in the hands of Whitbread who closed the brewery in 1968 although there's the odd memory lingering on in nearby pubs.

1610549214537.png
1610549080945.png

bruce_the_loon you're up.

The architecture is very distinctive if you've been there. To be honest I thought you'd managed to get a photo without the tower at all, it took me a while to work out the angle. But that photo does sum up the experience for me - I wasn't quite sure what to expect but I was rather underwhelmed by the tower and far more impressed by the cathedral and baptistry (the round building front-left) which nobody seems to talk about much.

Yes, that was my experience and you captured what I was going for. You've got a keen eye. It's worth a visit if you're in the area but Pisa has milked it for more than it's worth IMO.

With respect to the current pic, Cape Town?

Yes, that was my experience and you captured what I was going for. You've got a keen eye. It's worth a visit if you're in the area but Pisa has milked it for more than it's worth IMO.

With respect to the current pic, Cape Town?

Correct, Cape Town it is. And the beer connection for a lockdown bonus point?

So, educate us Yanks. That's a cricket pitch(?) up front, right? If so, that narrows it down to current/former Commonwealth nations.

Technically the pitch is just the 22 yard strip in the middle, the surrounding grass and any buildings for spectators etc is referred to as a cricket ground. But a ground that big must be one of the major international cricket venues, as that's where the money is that would justify that amount of spectator facilities.

The fact that there's a major (rugby) football ground next to it cuts it down much further, as you don't really get those in the West Indies or the subcontinent although (association) football's starting to become a bit of a thing in India now. So that cuts it down to UK/SA/NZ/Oz, and there's not many colocated like that.

Plus it's obviously next to a bloody great mountain, which made me immediately think Newlands, Cape Town.

Wiki suggests it was also home to Ohlssons, one of the breweries that ended up in SAB.

Edit - and looking at it again, the outdoor pool with gallery on the left, and numerous private pools in the foreground suggests it's somewhere rather warmer than the UK! (aside from the fact that our only major cricket/rugby combination stadium is Headingley in Leeds where they actually share a stand in common, the two Old Traffords are some way apart)

Last edited:
Technically the pitch is just the 22 yard strip in the middle, the surrounding grass and any buildings for spectators etc is referred to as a cricket ground. But a ground that big must be one of the major international cricket venues, as that's where the money is that would justify that amount of spectator facilities.

The fact that there's a major (rugby) football ground next to it cuts it down much further, as you don't really get those in the West Indies or the subcontinent although (association) football's starting to become a bit of a thing in India now. So that cuts it down to UK/SA/NZ/Oz, and there's not many colocated like that.

Plus it's obviously next to a bloody great mountain, which made me immediately think Newlands, Cape Town.

Wiki suggests it was also home to Ohlssons, one of the breweries that ended up in SAB.

That's a much better answer than mine (I figured it was Table Mtn and yes saw the major cricket and rugby grounds). With @bruce_the_loon ,s approval, I nominate you to post a pic.

That's a much better answer than mine (I figured it was Table Mtn and yes saw the major cricket and rugby grounds). With @bruce_the_loon ,s approval, I nominate you to post a pic.

Nah, it's OK, I posted one only this morning so it's someone else's turn - either you take it or we throw it open to a non-regular to do one?

Capitoline Hill, Rome, Italy

Edit: And just so you know, CKuhns, we also were in Rome in 2008.

Last edited:
I believe that is outside of the Capitoline Museum in Rome. On the hill with the same name. (Visited in 2008)

It is. A visit there in 2019 included going to a museum that was where Rolling Thunder turned and headed back out from the Capitol. Three sides of the building were nothing but motorcycles the entire time.

You're up @3 Dawg Night

Last edited:
Back