Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just in case we're still doing the World Cup thing - Morocco?

Feels more southerly though.

You need somewhere handy for the shops.

Fringes of the Sahara - Mali? In which case Timbuktu as the only place in Mali that anyone's heard of?

Timbuktu is a fascinating place, it became known in the West as it was a great trading centre between the Mediterranean and sub-Saharan Africa and on the back of that became a centre of learning, with huge numbers of medieval manuscripts surviving:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timbuktu_Manuscripts
Anyway, let's go back to the mountain theme, I've cropped this a bit :

1671286450597.png

Not quite as far north as Taymyr, but more north than Mongolia.

And thinking about it (which I wasn't earlier) - it's kinda debatable which continent Sochi is in but I guess it's in Asia and the photo isn't.

So do we need a hint or is everyone just distracted with other things right now? It certainly should be busy on this mountain at the moment.

you did say russia was the right continent right? so eastern middle russia? (or what used to be)

edit: would i be on to something being a tourist, and googling most breath taking mountains to climb in russia?

edit 2: some where in the ural mountains?

Last edited:
you did say russia was the right continent right? so eastern middle russia? (or what used to be)
Well Russia and continents gets complicated, some people say that Russia west of the Urals is European, others take the dividing line between Europe and Asia as through the Bosphorus and up the Dnipro. And then I didn't help by double-guessing myself.

So ignore that. But in any case, I've said it's Scandinavia, and that Trolltunga is cold.

I can see why you went there, but still pretty cold, and ignored the hint about the Finnish...

It is indeed Korvatunturi on the Finland/Russia border, allegedly the home of Father Christmas/Santa Claus, a long way from Turkey which is where St Nicholas was from. It's an interesting story of how he came to be associated with Lapland - although there seems to be some vague connection with a similar figure (pre-Christian?) in that area, it was Markus Rautio a presenter on Finnish children's radio in 1927 who claimed that he specifically lived on Korvatunturi aka Ear Mountain, as the ear-shape helped him hear all the requests from children around the world.

But it was only in 1984 that they decided to market Lapland as the home of Santa, but moved it 150 miles southwest to the regional capital of Rovaniemi in a completely cynical move to make it more convenient for tourists. It's since become a really popular trip for Brits in particular, as our maritime climate means that we get little if any snow in England in December, but we still get the Bing Crosby brainwashing that makes us think a white Christmas is somehow expected.

https://qz.com/317611/how-rovaniemi-finland-became-the-official-hometown-of-santa-claus
@beermanpete, you're up

Latest posts

Back