n00b from Utah

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixon72

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I am brand new to homebrewing and am looking forward to my 1st boil, which will be taking place tomorrow:mug: I'm looking forward to learning lots through the use of these forums. Cheers!

-Dixon

good luck dixon. Where you from in Utah?? There are a few of us from Utah that frequent the forum!!

I'm actually from So-Cal, but I am stationed at Hill AFB (about 30 miles north of SLC).

Sorry, I meant to include that in the original post. I picked up an NB Scottish 80 Shilling. Looks like I'm going to start in about an hour or so, woohoo!! :)

There is a really good brew store in Ogden. I went there a few days ago. It is more "upscale" than the beer nut but the prices were really good. It is called Grains, Graped and Grounds.

That's great, I was getting tired of driving to the Beer Nut. Maybe I'll check that place out tomorrow instead. Thanks for the info.:cross:

Have you guys from utah been to Art's Brewing supplies? He is an old school brewer and will help you out all he can. Let me know if you want the address

Got the address. Just never went to the store. I thought his internet prices were high so I didn't stop at the store. Thanks for the heads up New Brew. Next trip to SLC, I will check it out!!

pa-in-utah said:
Got the address. Just never went to the store. I thought his internet prices were high so I didn't stop at the store. Thanks for the heads up New Brew. Next trip to SLC, I will check it out!!
Where do you live?, I am in spanish fork

NewBrewer25 said:
Have you guys from utah been to Art's Brewing supplies? He is an old school brewer and will help you out all he can. Let me know if you want the address

I tried to find it once. The building I found looked like it should have been condemned. I'm hoping I was in the wrong place.

I know what the address is. Did you find it?

All I saw when I drove down Washington Street was a bunch of heavy industrial buildings that looked of questionable character. No building with #642. No building with Art's Brew Supply on it.

didn't check boss.... next time I hit the beer nut (or SLC) I will go on a "mission" to try and find it.... A little morman humor for the non-mormons in the crowd!! Probably all of us!! lol.....

We Utah brewers should get together sometime. Squatters would be a good spot. I don't know about the time, though. All depends on the sitter's schedule.

Also, I saw there's a story on Utah breweries on Fox 13's 9pm news tonight.

Ya I saw that same Fox news special. Let me know when/where you want to meet. I'm always willing to talk homebrew and meet new people. :mug:

-Dixon

Didn't get to the news... I was at work. Dixon, you know all about the flightline..... I am down for a hook-up and a few beers. Squatters would be good. Let's try to set something up.

Sorry, I've been a bit under the weather.

Sunday is the best bet for me this weekend. I might be able to swing Saturday lunch if I can get my mother-in-law to baby sit.

Sunday is a NO-NO on this end. It is mothers day. Saturday night I am having a promotion party so that is a no-go as well.

We need to pass numbers by PM or something. Dixon would be the easiest for me to meet up with since we both work on the base.

I have heard alot about the "BREW" police in Utah. Just keep a few extra Morman women close by and you should not have a problem. I never have problems with a few extra women around in Illinois. Until they meet each other.

Just about anytime is good for me... except Sunday. I don't think I'd stay married very long if I missed the wifes 1st mothers day.

We just spent this past week in Park City for our anniversary. We went to Wasatch brew pub, Squatters, and even took the Wasatch brewery tour today in SLC. It was a pretty good time.

Let me know when and where, I'll even bring the wife for DD purposes. :drunk:

Sorry, I was half a pint low yesterday after going to the doc. I forgot about Mom's day too. And its one of the few Sundays that SWMBO has off. In my defense though, I gave her the present on Tuesday.

How about noonish at Squatters tomorrow? I'll be the long haired and bearded hippy in the Virginia City Bucket of Blood shirt.

See you there,

John

My inlaws are visiting. I thought they were staying for the weekend, but as it turns out they are leaving today and want to have lunch with us before they fly out.

I thought I had them talked into doing the Squatters thing, but it seems they have changed their minds.

I'm out of town next weekend, but will see if we can meet up the following week. Sorry about the mix up. :(

Man I really need to get your phone #. I dropped the inlaws off at the airport at about 1pm and was at Squatters at 1:30. I looked for you, I even asked a couple of guys with long dark hair and beards if they were you... needless to say all I got was dumb looks. :confused: Oh well at least now I know where Squatters is.

No problem. We will definitely get something going, stay tuned to this thread I suppose. I can also PM you if you would like.

Dixon, You must have missed me by 20 minutes. When the waitress asked if I wanted another beer, I should have said, "Yes." But I had too much stuff going on.

The next couple of weekends should be less hetic.

We can try Squatters again. I found out that I can take my kid into their restaurant area.

Or we can try something more up your way.

Alright, I'm only 7 months late on this one, but now in Utah. Just relocated to Draper and my family is still in Idaho until Feb. I need some buddies to enjoy homebrew with. I'm toying with the idea of having a few people over to sample and swap homebrew. If anyone is interested, PM me.

The only snag is that I am gone every weekend in Jan '08 to see my family.

I'm also always game to meet at squatters or ? for a brew.

I should be more available for beer meetings starting this Friday.

I also wanted to drop a beer update to my fellow Utahns.

Wasatch has their now Devastator Double Bock in the liquor stores. Its decent. I'm not sure why, but all Wasatch beers seem have the same hop flavor to me. So if you like other Wasatch beers, you will like this one.

Uinta also has their seasonal Monkshine in the liquor stores. I don't know if the grocery stores carry it or not. I wasn't sure if I'd like Monkshine when I bought it. I mean a Pale Ale fermented with Belgain yeast doesn't exactly sound like a good combo. They used mellow hops and I'm guessing there is some candi sugar in there some where too. It is an unusual flavor, but it works. For some weird reason, the spicyness cause by the yeast and the lightness caused by the candi sugar complements the pale ale. But if you are a pale ale purest or you like a lot of hop flavor, you aren't going to like it.

Hey guys. I'm still into meeting up and trading some brews. You guys ever heard of ZZ Hops, the local club? I thought it had gone away, but I got an email from them. Looks like they are having a meeting on March 1. Weekdays/nights are always good for me.

"Hi the Porter meeting is Saturday March 1st at 7:00. Joe A is the host. Address: 3478 south 500 east (corner house) 467-8098

you do not need an entry to attend, just bring some homebrew to share with the group

hope to see you there, mike"

BeehiveBrewer said:
"Hi the Porter meeting is Saturday March 1st at 7:00. Joe A is the host. Address: 3478 south 500 east (corner house) 467-8098 "

It looks like I'm not going to be able to make it after all. Instead of getting my mother in law to watch my daughter tonight, I'll be helping her do some work around her condo.

Frick and Frack.:(

Back