Mystery Keg Leak - Advice Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roverlandpark

Reaction score
Today I went to the beer fridge and realized I was out of beer. No big deal, as I had a second keg ready to go from my last batch. I disconnected the old and hooked up the new and I am greeted by that familiar hissing sound. I turned off the CO2 and got a cup of soapy water to determine from where the leak was coming.

At this point it looks like it is coming from under the the plastic handles of the keg. I only have two kegs, so I'm in the process of cleaning the spent keg now and will transfer the beer to it shortly. Once I get this done, I'll more closely inspect the leaking keg.

In the meantime, can somebody provide some advice on the following questions?

• Do you think my beer would have been significantly oxidized by this leak?
  • Assuming that the leak is under the plastic, should I even bother trying to fix it? If so, what would be the best option?

Thanks in advance!

A leak under the plastic? How the heck did that happen? Do you see any punctures through the plastic? If not, you might have a sneaky post leak. Your beer is fine. Especially if it has just been sitting. The transfer was sure to have released some co2 where a blanket would have formed over top of the beer. Just don't shake it up. :) How big are your bubbles?

...and if somehow you do have a puncture under the plastic, take the keg to a TIG welder to put a little weld dab closing it up...

Back