Mystery Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camworrall

Cameron Worrall
Reaction score
Hey all.
My mate's given me 17g of a mystery hops he grew and asked me to make a beer with it, Any thoughts on which way to go?
looking for something that will show off the hops flavour.

Hey all.
My mate's given me 17g of a mystery hops he grew and asked me to make a beer with it, Any thoughts on which way to go?
looking for something that will show off the hops flavour.

to show off hops flavors I add this quantity as boiloff addition in a regular batch (20 litres).
with just 17g maybe you can do a minibatch of 5 liters beer, or split the boil: 20 liter of a beer you planned, and then take 5 liters out after sparging to try the mistery hop

That 17g is just a bit over a half ounce so to showcase flavor it should be a late addition to a low ibu style (kolsch, cream ale, etc). Maybe bitter it with a clean hop at 60 min, possibly summit/warrior/magnum.

Just spit balling...

Make up a basic pale ale with a clean bittering hop, then use these hops as a flameout or dry hop. Maybe a C hop as the aroma/flavor addition since half an ounce may not be enough flavor addition.

Actually, now that I think on it, a smaller batch will allow you to get more out of the hops, ~1/2 oz should be enough for a 2 gallon batch especially if you want to showcase the hop.

Back